Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If there's one thing that I'm not really feeling about the 500 its the bars. I really want to give it some drag bars.

Couple of questions.

Will the bike still be relatively easy to ride?
Is it a case of just buying the bars from ebay, taking them to a garage and saying ' swap these bars'?
The size is 7/8 yeah?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Easy to ride, yes. As comfortable? Well, that depends on you and your body, size and preferences. You can easily swap the handlebars yourself if you have access to a metric allen key set, phillips head screwdriver and a drill. Yes, the bars are 7/8" in diameter.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I originally put drags on my street 500 and found them uncomfortable. I'm a pretty small guy at only 5'5" and with the foot position drag bars made me feel very cramped. They looked cool though. If you change out vars you will need to drill 2 holes. There are small metal dowels on the starter switch and directional switch that "lock" into the wholes you'll drill so that they don't move around.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I put drag bars on my bike. It is pretty simple to do. I am 5'4" with a 29" inseam. The seating position is cramped with a forward lean. I find it pretty comfortable but I also ride a road bicycle with a similar seating position. I think the total for me to swap the bars and grips was around $35.00 dollars. If you don't like it you can always swap it back. The bike is just as easy to ride as with the stock bars, just a little different.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
I love the look of drag bars as well. I was thinking of maybe adding a riser to eliminate some of that lean.

The things is risers are more expensive than the bars :/

Still debating on whether to keep customizing or trade up already !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts