Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all. Just broke 1700 miles today. When I got home I notice Chunks on the rear Rim. Looked at the Belt, I can see Chunks coming off the Cogs. Anyone else notice this?? I'll see if I can post a pic later.

Attachments

·
Registered
504 Posts
Makes me want to go out and have a close look at mine.

Reactions: 750STREETRIDER

·
Registered
238 Posts
Anything wedged in between the cogs?

·
Registered
155 Posts
You on a dusty or dirty road often it shouldn't be like that clean your bike very much is the belt the right tension?
Looked at mine 6300 miles on her and it looks perfect that's to soon to be looking like that.
May have got a small pebble or something lodged up in the cogs or did have.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took it to my "Chapel" and showed it to the Service Manager. He said it looks ok. Maybe it was a pebble??

·
Registered
238 Posts
Yeah…..kinda figured that…good too hear it's nothing more than that…...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Check front bolt its been a issue mine snapped and ****** the belt and plastics bet that's what's happens. Ring Harley its a issue they have a record off. I know I was not the first

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the reminder. I am going to Ocean County H_D today. They have something in stock that I have wanted for awhile. A cup set I saw back at Christmas time at my dealer.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ocean County HD checked the belt. Told me it would run 4 Hours labor if its not caused by a Warrantable failure. Like the Front Sprocket Bolt. And If I wanted the Belt replaced, $177 for the Belt. Around $630 for them to do it. So basically I am going to keep an eye on it. And see what happens. But it is Highly Likely I will be needing a Belt earlier than usual. That would suck if I have to keep replacing every 5k Miles.

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
Hi all. Just broke 1700 miles today. When I got home I notice Chunks on the rear Rim. Looked at the Belt, I can see Chunks coming off the Cogs. Anyone else notice this?? I'll see if I can post a pic later.
Take it into the dealer asap. It could be a defective belt although that is very rare or it could be a problem with the belt sprockets which is a more serious issue.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I had two Dealers look at it. Both basically told me to Keep an Eye on it. One told me, I would have to pay for the Belt. Unless it was caused by another problem, Like the Sprocket. Which there is no external evidence of damage.

Wonder if I take the Forward Cover off. And check the Torque on the Sprocket Bolt?? If its Cracked, That should break it.

I was bored. Took the Levers off and greased them. The Brake Lever was Dry. And not much grease. One day, When I am really Adventurous I am going to Grease the Jiffy Stand.

·
Registered
90 Posts
how would they know its loose or any thing? if they didn't take it off and just looked at belt? don't go doing that as it might not be a fault on yr bike id say it would be a batch of bolts.
could be little as a batch off 20... you don't want to damage it and void warranty lol but if to say it was loose some how tracking off a little... cough cough .. :)

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I saw some places are selling Used Belts on Ebay. On bikes with about the same mileage as mine. Around $90. I have never done a belt on a Harley before. Haven't checked the manual yet. But if I am not mistaken I need to:
Remove the Guards
Loosen the Belt tensioners
Slip the belt off the Primary Sprocket
Remove the Axle
Remove Tire
Remove Swing Arm

·
Registered
46 Posts
I wouldn't put a used belt on. No matter how good it looks, You just don't know how many miles it has on it. With all the work to change it, it's much better to put on something that you can rely on. Nothing like having one break, on a dark country road, a couple hundred miles from home.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I didn't buy one. Just waiting to see How long mine lasts.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Mine 750 has been in the shop for over a week now. They are needing to replace the front pulley due to cracked bolt...And I come to find out this morning...that this pulley is on backorder...FML. So bummed. At the very least I'm waiting another week....But in reality, who knows how long.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Tony,
Im in the exact same situation Mine went out on the 29th of July been waiting ever since. Its really a sore subject, My dealer and harley customer care were called and the story is some parts are being released on the Aug 23 which is tomorrow . I hope they ship them quick and get me back on the road.
thagorilla

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I Slammed HD on the survey they sent me. For their lack of Inventory.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yeah , the dealer has done what he could, and I have not blamed them. I put this issue at HD corporates feet. Not to have a good supply of repair parts on a bike that is over 2 years old is negligent. If it had came out yesterday that could be understandable. After all this time to not have something on the shelf somewhere is basically ignoring your product support.
thagorilla

·
Registered
47 Posts
Crossing fingers that it all gets resolved in this next week. I can't believe they can sit there with a bike for a month and not expect a customer to be furious. Did the dealer try and do anything for you? A loner or anything?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts