Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Dropped my Gas Cap last week. Hit concrete. Its not pretty. Dealer went to order me a new one. Came in today. Unfortunately, It comes with a New Ignition Lock Cylinder/Switch. And a New Key Code. Now I need to pull the Handle Bar and Upper Steering Head off to replace. I have installed Handle Bars on new bikes. Never had the Upper Steering Head off. Also need to get underneath the Gas Tank to access the connector. I'd like to do it myself. Need to find another set of hands. Dealer told me roughly $150 for the Labor. Need to run the gas tank down a bit first.

·
Registered
187 Posts
makes me wonder, if there is a generic key locking gas cap to replace the stock H-D gas cap? i know for a fact that Stant made one intended for cars but fit on V-Rods.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The New Lockset (Gas Cap and Ignition) cost me about $32 with Tax.

My Main concern is, I May need an extra set of hands. My work schedule makes it hard to find someone dependable. My Father rounded off the 46mm Clutch Carrier Nut on the Majesty. He was using the right size wrench.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I attempted to do it this morning. Gave up. Just put it back together. I'll have my dealer do it next week. Warning: The Fuel Pump Connector is easy to Unplug. Had to lift the tank and push it with my finger.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Seems to me like there's gotta be something after market that would fit

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tonight I was Thinking about it. To get the Tank off you need to cut one of the Crimp Clamps on the Crossover Tube. I need to get one from the dealer. Then once the Tank is off, I can lay the Handle Bar on top of the Frame.

I can crimp the new clamp on with a CV Boot plier. Its a little larger than the clamp, But looks like it should work. Put about 136 Miles on the tank, Even when I lost some fuel at Quick Disconnect, The Low Fuel Light is still off.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Our Gas Cap is a Locking unit. Most Harleys Thread in. Thanks anyway Tonydl

Stopped at the "Chapel" tonight. Bought a pair of Crimp Clamps for the Crossover Tube. Just under $3 with Tax. I am going to try it again next week.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Is there a gas cap offered yet that doesn't lock?

I don't think so but if [ANYONE] hears of such please let me know. If you drop this one and it is damaged to the point that it no longer works, you are in for a big nightmare. H-D, instead of just replacing the cap with the same key code, replaces:eek: the whole ignition system! At least that's what happened to me. I was lucky in that while my cap would no longer fit properly there was no visible damage and I reported it defective under warranty. I posted a similar warning under a different thread.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dealer quoted me roughly $150 for the Labor. Plus any additional parts. Cost me about $35 for 2 Clamps (Crossover Tube) and the Switch/Gas cap. I'm hoping tomorrow the weather will be good and I can do it.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got it DONE!!! Took me about 2 1/2 Hours. Part of the problem was Diagnosing a Key On, Cranking. Found the Starter Switch harness was pinched. Took it apart and spliced the wires together with a pair of Heat Shrink Butt connectors. Hosed the off the bike when I was done. Now I need to get to the gas station and refill the tank. Later I will Polish the bike.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bought the replacement Switch and Crossover Tube clamp last night. About $15 with Tax. The Switch Dealer Cost was around $6.88. Sold it to me for $12.xx. They actually had it in stock. Cant do it right now. As I just filled the tank yesterday. 3.44 Gallons. Think I experienced the "Lag and Leap" on the way to the gas station. Put over 70 miles since fill up.

Had to stop at Wawa as they were the closest. So I put about 2 oz. of Lucas Fuel Cleaner in the tank before I left. So far I haven't had the Start then Stall issue.

On a Side note, Tractor Supply has some nice gas cans. Bought the 1 gallon unit to pump the fuel into. And not terribly expensive at $12. I was able to pour what I pumped without spilling.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I Replaced the Crank/Run switch today. Dealer told me roughly $130 Labor. I did it myself in about 20 minutes. On a bad note, I discovered my Seat Hold Down Screw is missing. Huh??? It was there when I left it for the Oil Leak repair. Tech had to lift the gas tank to remove the Cylinder Cover. Now I need to go back to my Chapel. 2nd item I found Missing, Or not installed. 1st was the Hold Down Screw for the Air Box. Now a Missing Seat Screw. Guess I need to find a new dealer to fix my bike.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Only 1 Screw. And a Tongue and Groove on the front. Where it meets the gas tank. Harley charges $2.xx for that screw. If I had to replace it myself, I would've gone to HD. And bought an Allen Screw and washers. Really mess someone's day up if they tried to steal the seat.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts