Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
Do you have a guess on the price?
The electrical engineer in me says non VFD and it could sell in the 7K to 8K range.

Using a VFD (which they should do since it is a 3 phase motor and that would allow a lot better battery management) $8K to 11K (USD)

Guessing, but I just put together three VFD 25 HP blower systems and am running about 2.5K for the electrics and controls. The rest they could just source internally except maybe the frame.

I would like to be one of the long term testers they speak of using. Give me a couple weeks with my VFD PLC and I bet I can squeeze it to 75 miles just by current monitoring verses speed of machine.... and could get real fancy if I was allowed to put a few accelerometers in it.

My brother, also an engineer, did the Segway adding the accelerometer and the current monitors did wonders for the battery life. He and I did a couple shopping cart movers, they push the carts from behind while a person pulls it. We used accelerometers and current monitors to predict whether it was stopping or starting, and how fast a person was going to walk with the carriages. By monitoring the current and speed we also knew how many carriages the machine was pushing and could map the start and stop power curves.

Reactions: Livin On

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
Totally agree, battery technology will come a long way. I designed a bunch of atomic spectrometers for the Gates Battery research center in Gainesville Florida a while back. It was strictly to look into new battery electrolytes.

you know its also possible that Harley built this bike with diminished capabilities on purpose. Figure the Livewire is at least 2 years out from serial production at BEST. In that time battery technology is expected to grow in leaps and bounds what with graphene technology and even supercapacitors we're seeing toyota pioneer (Le Mans, who says racing is useless ;)) meaning lighter batteries with greater power density.

Harly didn't build the Livewire to show people what an electric bike IS capable of, they built it to show what an electric bike COULD be capable of. Very far-sighted, credit to Milwaukee big time...

·
Registered
121 Posts
My son and I will be in Milwaukee on 6/26 to see and test ride the New "Livewire" motorcycle. Both very excited about this new concept, and glad to see H-D is looking forward to the next 111 years.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
My son and I will be in Milwaukee on 6/26 to see and test ride the New "Livewire" motorcycle. Both very excited about this new concept, and glad to see H-D is looking forward to the next 111 years.
Pictures, videos and detailed experience please and thank you :p:D;)

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I actually came across a forum on this very same bike and seen a thread about the USA tour.
are you guys planning to take any pictures/video's?

here's that thread i was talking about: Mark Your Calenders! Harley Livewire Electric Motorcycle 2014 US (30-City) Tour Dates - HD LiveWire Forum

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
I actually came across a forum on this very same bike and seen a thread about the USA tour.
are you guys planning to take any pictures/video's?

here's that thread i was talking about: Mark Your Calenders! Harley Livewire Electric Motorcycle 2014 US (30-City) Tour Dates - HD LiveWire Forum
Wow someone is on the ball... though it looks like Vbulletin....

Though they rushed it a lot as the permissions and stuff are open to everyone.

I assume same guys that own the rest of these....

·
Registered
244 Posts
I'm hoping that the US tour includes some dates in Canada. I'd really liike a chance to get to ride this thing. Never been on an electric motorcycle before.

·
Registered
228 Posts
The Street and now the Livewire. Looks like Harley is making a big push to diversify their brand. I'd say its a good move too.

Do you think some will be angry about this messing with Harley's brand image, or will it be a welcome addition to the lineup?

·
Registered
261 Posts
The Street and now the Livewire. Looks like Harley is making a big push to diversify their brand. I'd say its a good move too.

Do you think some will be angry about this messing with Harley's brand image, or will it be a welcome addition to the lineup?
I agree, good move on HD's part.
And yes, I think there are a lot of "traditionalists" that will once again hate on the Livewire project just like the Street, and just like the VRod... They have a hard time with change. You would think with the way some of them whine, HD was REPLACING their beloved air cooled line of bikes with liquid cooled versions, and... egads... electric...:eek: Well, HD is not that stupid, they are just expanding their customer base... before the current one dies off.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Its completely possible that this is simply a PR/Marketing homerun designed to simply get people into the show rooms?

Look at all the digital ink that has been spilled for a vaporware harley compared to what has been shed for the entire crop of electric bike makers. Entice them to the showrooms by showing off a cutting edge electric and then turn around and sell them a Street or something.

Maybe its a bit cynical, yet entirely possible...

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Wow someone is on the ball... though it looks like Vbulletin....

Though they rushed it a lot as the permissions and stuff are open to everyone.

I assume same guys that own the rest of these....
haha yeah tell me about it, i was surprised when i saw it, wasn't expecting anyone to act on it that soon. But it's good to see that there's one main resource for the bike, something to bookmark and check out.

oh by the way, i looked at their website today and noticed how they worked on the issues you mentioned...not bad. I think they did an OKAY job on the design.

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
haha yeah tell me about it, i was surprised when i saw it, wasn't expecting anyone to act on it that soon. But it's good to see that there's one main resource for the bike, something to bookmark and check out.

oh by the way, i looked at their website today and noticed how they worked on the issues you mentioned...not bad. I think they did an OKAY job on the design.
Yes I think that was their intention from the beginning, then you popped in with the URL before they were set up.

The speed surprises me, especially since it is a Canadian Technology company, my only other experience was 12 years with the Blackberries by RIM. Dismal at best with the handling of what was the technology leader. Just went stagnant and stopped.

The information technology expertise appears to be on the cutting edge at all times.

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
Its completely possible that this is simply a PR/Marketing homerun designed to simply get people into the show rooms?

Look at all the digital ink that has been spilled for a vaporware harley compared to what has been shed for the entire crop of electric bike makers. Entice them to the showrooms by showing off a cutting edge electric and then turn around and sell them a Street or something.

Maybe its a bit cynical, yet entirely possible...
Don't think of it in sales of bikes alone.

Several things to remember about HD.....

Sales are required

Marketing and Marketing research in the form of PR release reaction feedback are also needed.

Stockholder management and Wall Street placation are required because they are public traded.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Don't think of it in sales of bikes alone.

Several things to remember about HD.....

Sales are required

Marketing and Marketing research in the form of PR release reaction feedback are also needed.

Stockholder management and Wall Street placation are required because they are public traded.
Oh absolutely, those points were actually the basis of my theory. especially after reading in several other places some thurougly misinformed fellows claiming that the bike will not get built because its too radical for the Wall Street types. I don't think I have to explain that the biggest risk is no risks, especially when it comes to publicly traded business.

This is whats so brilliant about the Livewire project, it shoots down criticisms that Harley is too old and decrepit to build a modern motorbike, its an excellent piece of PR. Havent seen so much Harley coverage on the main bike sites in who knows how long, it will drive traffic into showrooms and allow people to experience the new Streets, or perhaps get seduced by one of the bigger girls ...

Harley didnt get to where they are today through stupidity and sheer dumb luck :D;)

Of course then there is the possibility they are looking to reduce carbon emissions across the model line. Even one bike will have drastic affects on the total range. Ok well maybe not drastic, but significant...

·
Registered
244 Posts
But if it is the Harley Livewire that gets them into the dealership, I don't think it will be so easy to convert them into buying a different Harley. Maybe a Street, but I don't think that the type of person who is intrigued by the Livewire is the same type of person who would buy a big ol' traditional Harley.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
But if it is the Harley Livewire that gets them into the dealership, I don't think it will be so easy to convert them into buying a different Harley. Maybe a Street, but I don't think that the type of person who is intrigued by the Livewire is the same type of person who would buy a big ol' traditional Harley.
how do you know? bbally is proof positive that you can ride a traditional harley and not fit into the stereotype image. I guess you missed the lecture on broad brush statements ;)

http://www.hdstreetforums.com/forum...dson-selling-bikes-lifestyle-4.html#post48034

I just don't see how those types of assumptions can be made about a group you know next to nothing about other than showing interest in the Livewire. So all of a sudden Livewire and Harley have become mutually exclusive?

Please put the false frames away, they've never done anyone any good...

·
Registered
451 Posts
Harley has them out for test rides at the Museum in Milwaukee at big events. Not something I would be interested in.
HD needs stuff Livewire for off sets for the EPA. Staying up on what is going on helps a lot. Many auto companies offer cars they don't make a dime on to gain credits

21 - 37 of 37 Posts