Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My engine has lost it's shining black appearance and has become dull due to accumulation of dust over the surface.

Here's a photo of engine before the wash.

A quick wash gave it some life but still looked pretty dull. Went to the dealership to buy the HD Engine Brightener or S100 and they said it doesn't work well with the street. 🤷‍♀️ Anyone has ever used the Engine brightener on their street and could confirm if it works okay?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Seems a lot of money for what it is, doubt it would work as well as it's designed for aluminium / silver engines I think.

Over the next few weeks every couple of days spray on some WD40 and rub it in. Then spray a coat of it and leave it on. The engine may smoke a bit until the residue is burnt off. After a couple of weeks you'' be pleasantly surprised. Other thin oils will likely do the same but I prefer WD40 as 'overspray' is easily cleaned away.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seems a lot of money for what it is, doubt it would work as well as it's designed for aluminium / silver engines I think.

Over the next few weeks every couple of days spray on some WD40 and rub it in. Then spray a coat of it and leave it on. The engine may smoke a bit until the residue is burnt off. After a couple of weeks you'' be pleasantly surprised. Other thin oils will likely do the same but I prefer WD40 as 'overspray' is easily cleaned away.
That sounds like something I could try. Thanks for the input Botty. Let me buy a WD40 and share the results in a few days time.

·
Super Moderator
358 Posts
That sounds similar to the process of seasoning a cast iron skillet, which also leaves a slick and shiny surface. But don't use WD40 on your skillet as it leaves an after taste.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just bought a small can of WD-40, some brushes and microfiber cloth. Washed and brushed the engine, and applied a coat of WD40. The result is mesmerizing already. Will continue to do so every weekend.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
64 Posts
Anyone tried using a pressure washer (carefully of course)?
Don't use pressure washer. A friend of mine did and it took the paint off. Don't know what psi is was or how long he held it in one place, but messed his engine paint up pretty bad.

Here's after repaint and a few chrome goodies after I got done.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My engine has lost it's shining black appearance and has become dull due to accumulation of dust over the surface.
View attachment 27234
Here's a photo of engine before the wash.

A quick wash gave it some life but still looked pretty dull. Went to the dealership to buy the HD Engine Brightener or S100 and they said it doesn't work well with the street. Anyone has ever used the Engine brightener on their street and could confirm if it works okay?
I’ve used both S100 and the HD Brightener and they work very well on the Street 750. Engine looks like new!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts