Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

Engine guard

8K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  PugslyCat 
#1 ·
Has anyone installed the engine guard on their bike? I had one installed on my last bike and it made a terrible racket. It went back to the dealer who tightened it up and put a foam pad in. It was a little quieter but still annoying. I'm thinking about installing the black engine guard but am worried about having the same problem. Any thoughts?

#2 ·
An engine guard SHOULD NOT rattle or make a noise. Sounds to me like it wasn't on properly, or tightened.

I've never heard of one making a noise

Reactions: charlesskelter
#3 ·
I agree the guard shouldn't make noise but Honda agreed that where it as attached was the area the noise was coming from. Tightening and the rubber pad helped but it's still noisy. I don't want to put the guard on if there's a good chance it will rattle. I was hoping someone on the forum had installed one and could answer definitively.

#5 ·
I have them on my Boulevard. Never heard a rattle or any other noise from them. Something's not right if they're doing that, I don't care what the dealership says that put them on. It's not normal.

#7 ·
I have had the engine guard on my '15 XG750 and NO, it did not rattle. The point that annoyed me a little, is that I try to avoid chrome on my bike and have even covered some chrome and painted some of the aluminum rivets black. Anyway, the engine guard uses motor mount bolts on the bottom and while the original bolts are black, the longer bolts that the engine guard uses were chrome. I mean I could see that on the chrome engine guard, but on the black???. I replaced bolts with black bolts and much prefer the look.http://www.hdstreetforums.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=12266&thumb=1

Don't know if dealer would offer to do it with different bolts to start with. I think mine cost me a about $20 to change the lower and the upper bolts. (although upper bolts are hidden under the radiator shroud)

Also, have taken off my engine guards as I don't see how they would help much anyway. (Also have ordered front controls and I know my foot wouldn't fit with controls and guard).

Attachments

#11 ·
I have had the engine guard on my '15 XG750 and NO, it did not rattle. The point that annoyed me a little, is that I try to avoid chrome on my bike and have even covered some chrome and painted some of the aluminum rivets black. Anyway, the engine guard uses motor mount bolts on the bottom and while the original bolts are black, the longer bolts that the engine guard uses were chrome. I mean I could see that on the chrome engine guard, but on the black???. I replaced bolts with black bolts and much prefer the look.http://www.hdstreetforums.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=12266&thumb=1

Don't know if dealer would offer to do it with different bolts to start with. I think mine cost me a about $20 to change the lower and the upper bolts. (although upper bolts are hidden under the radiator shroud)

Also, have taken off my engine guards as I don't see how they would help much anyway. (Also have ordered front controls and I know my foot wouldn't fit with controls and guard).
Where did you find forward controls for your street I got my 750 back in December and tried getting cowboy Harley to install some but was told they didn't may any for the street ...I just got my engine guards in today installing tomorrow so I can put a set of peggs on and finally be able to kick my legs out ...shoot me an email masonmcfarlin84@gmail.com

#8 ·
You selling those engine guards?

(I have a set on my Boulevard ............ they call them "engine guards" .......... I call them "accessory mounts". Too small to protect much. Just a place to mount highway pegs or lights, LOL)

#12 ·
If you check CO WanderZest's profile he was last seen here on Aug 26, 2017, so don't expect a reply. That's the problem with commenting on old threads.

To answer your question, there are a couple of companies from India and southeast asia selling forward controls on eBay and Amazon. Most of them use the same motor mount that engine gaurds use.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.