Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I moved to Korea back in November and my bike finally arrived with the rest of my household goods. I went out to hook the battery up and start the engine and it kept cutting out. It would idle for about 20 seconds then bog down and eventually die. The oil light and engine light were on but they turn off when I start it back up. It will start up consistently but after 20 seconds or so it just bogs down and dies. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
32 Posts
To me it sounds like a fuel pump/electrical issue. Fuel pump runs from the battery and primes the system for starting then once started it switches over to run off the alternator/engine management system(?). Else in an accident fuel would continue to be pumped. But I really have no idea on a modern system, this scenario is based is off what would happen to a car I had in the 80's when the alternator or fan belt died.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Any Extra Mileage or Signs of Abuse?? My brother moved from NJ to CA years ago. One of the movers helped themselves with his checkbook. Had his car shipped as well. Which arrived with some damage. Nothing major as I can recall.

How old is the fuel??

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The fuel is new. I emptied the tank prior to shipping and disconnected the battery. I gave it another go about an hour ago. Once I turned the key the oil light was on so I checked the oil and it appeared fine. So I fired it up and let it idle and revved it a few times for about 5 minutes. Then I through it into gear and before I could release the clutch lever it blogged down and died. Then the oil light came back on. So I gave it a few more attempts and it would still replicate the same results; oil light on then off once started, lasted for a while at idle then would die once thrown in gear. On a side note, it will only start in N. If it is in gear it won't start even if clutch lever is pulled in. Thoughts?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sounding electrical/ecm.
Could it have lost some memory or settings while the battery was disconnected ?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I gave the engine another run. Even when I keep it in N with the clutch lever squeezed it runs fine but if I release more than halfway it stalls out.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The handlebars and grips were slightly damaged during shipping. Does anyone know if there is a kill switch or neutral switch in the clutch. If there is, does anyone know where it is located. This is really frustrating and I just want to ride after a long two month wait!

·
Registered
504 Posts
There's a "Kill Switch" on the right handle bar, but then the bike wouldn't start at all!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I had an issue with the regulator & the Stator on my 750. I am also not the only one who has posted on here regarding this issue. Should be a factory warranty fix at no cost to you. Mine went out while riding, and basically what happened is the bike was no longer charging my battery, so it would run as long as the battery had juice. as soon as it was to low to run the fuel pump, the bike would die. Maybe check into this.

my two cents

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't think it's a fuel issue because I can get it to idle as long as I want but I have to be in neutral with the clutch lever squeezed. I checked the clutch switch earlier which is inside the lever and cleaned it but the problem persists. I need to find the neutral switch and see if that's where the problem is. Does anyone know where on the bike the neutral switch is?

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
The Neutral Switch is located below the Primary Sprocket. The connector looks like its Tied to the frame rail. Left side of the bike. If you do remove the Switch, NOTE: Its only Torqued 45-62 INCH POUNDS. About 5 Ft Pounds.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I appreciate the info. Now that the sun is up I'll head back out and check it out. Fingers crossed that I'll be riding in a few hours. I may just have to figure out if the dealer 45 mins away will come and pick the bike up. I've never dealt with a foreign dealer before.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Great news! I finally got the Street up and running with no problems. When I took the cover off to look at the neutral switch I noticed that one of the three wires that connect to the negative battery terminal were loose. I tightened it up and off I went. I'm just glad that wasn't a serious issue but I'm still bummed about the other damage that happened during shipping.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
The damage on the Hand Grips is from Improperly Strapping. What most people do is, Use Ratchet Straps. Wrap them around the Grips. Anchor. And ratchet down. They make Straps that have loops for the Grips to prevent damage. It can be done with standard ratchet straps if done properly. I have done it several times. When I worked for the motorcycle shop. The Service manager made it a point to show me the proper way before I strapped one down. And they checked before I left the shop.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts