Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the Engine Off/Run Switch really for? In ten years of owning my previous bike I never used it. The XG750 Owners Manual doesn't say why you would use it. It only says to make sure that it's in the Run position before starting the engine.

I almost had a heart attack today because I somehow accidentally knocked this switch into the Off position and couldn't figure out why my bike wouldn't start. Duh. :eek:

·
Registered
187 Posts
i'm curious what your previous bike is, as every motorized two wheel vehicle i've had always had a off/run (kill) switch -- from 50cc scooters to my V-Rod, right next to the throttle.

the other way to turn off the bike, the key ignition, has been in various other places on the bikes but the kill switch is always next to the throttle; and it is usually how i shut off the engine. i don't pull the key until i have the bike is on its stand.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My previous bike (1981 Yamaha XS650) had a switch with 3 positions - Off/Run/Off, but that doesn't answer my question. What is the purpose of this switch? Is it there in case you forgot where your ignition lock cylinder is located? It seems to do more harm than good.

·
Registered
187 Posts
ooh, i didn't read your first post properly i assumed your bike didn't have a kill switch, sorry.

i think it is federally mandated on bikes marketed in the USA. two of the bikes (Honda Wave 125 & TMX) i have access to here in Philippines don't have kill switches and neither are available for sale in the states.

·
Registered
155 Posts
The switch is for Killing the engine in an emergency say your throttle gets stuck open or your bike falls over.
Also if you take a MSF class they teach you to get into a habit of shutting it off with the run/off switch so it
is done without thinking about it. Only have a second or less in an emergency situation.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The switch is for Killing the engine in an emergency say your throttle gets stuck open or your bike falls over.
Also if you take a MSF class they teach you to get into a habit of shutting it off with the run/off switch so it
is done without thinking about it. Only have a second or less in an emergency situation.
Hmmm throttle stuck open. I guess that could happen. It seems like it could be dangerous if you hit it accidentally though.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess a good reason for always using the kill switch to shut your engine off is that you will always remember to make sure it's on when you start it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My previous bike (1981 Yamaha XS650) had a switch with 3 positions - Off/Run/Off, but that doesn't answer my question. What is the purpose of this switch? Is it there in case you forgot where your ignition lock cylinder is located? It seems to do more harm than good.
I've heard the reasoning is because if you are in an accident or severe situation, thinking fast you would kill the bike with the switch. I believe this is taught in USA rider's training classes.

EDIT: Just saw someone beat me to it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts