Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

Engine temperature

17K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  wke002 
#1 ·
1) Hi does anyone know what should be the running temperature of 750
2) At what temperature does the radiator start and stop

#2 ·
While we didn't pull the thermostat or check what it was when we tested our replacement grill the temperature stabilized in the 160F-170F range indicating that the thermostat was opening at about 160F. The fan would come on when the water temperature reached about 180F but never came on when riding (and it shouldn't come on during riding conditions). So basically, based upon actual operation I believe it has a 160F thermostat and is designed to run in the 160F-180F range which is very common for virturally all water-cooled engines. I would have been very surprised at any other findings.

#4 ·
Are you measuring engine temperature or water temperature is the first question I'd ask. The engine is hotter than the water temperature. We measured the radiator core temperature with a digital infrared thermometer which is reflective of the water temperature. If your engine temperature is in the 230 range that is probably about correct although I haven't measured actual engine temperature. The fan is controlled by the water temperature.

#6 ·
Hi,

Another query regarding Street 750.

Of late I have noticed when my bike is running low on fuel (Low means at least 2 liters left in tank ) the engine stalls for fraction of asecond and gives a big jerk, this happens when I am trying to rev up the engineto take a head start from a signal or am trying to overtake someone.

After searching for the same on Google and also afterchecking with the chapter guys who informed me that this seems to be an issuewith all the motorbikes that were made in India and that now they have gotanother vendor who is supplying upgraded fuel pumps and are replacing the samefor all the bikes having the same issue.

Are there any other people who are facing the same issue?

If this is a part fault then are they recalling all thestreet 750 to replace the faulty fuel pumps?

Are other Harley bikes facing the same issue for enginestall when they are running low (Not empty) on fuel.

#7 ·
There is a couple threads on here about that issue, I had my fuel pump replaced a couple weeks ago from the dealer, haven't had the issue since. Call your dealer and make an appointment to bring your bike in. There is currently an open investigation on this issue by the NHSTA.

#8 ·
I wonder if anyone's had their temp sensor fail yet, and had the bike overheat.
Just one time after a long high speed run, sitting at a light on a real hot day, I think the fan didn't come on and just this one time, omg, the back of my thighs really started to sizzle. Or maybe it was the fan coming on and pushing the hot air. It was too loud at that time to hear the fan.
It's just happened that one time, even though I've been in the similar situation before.

I ask because I used to have a Honda Magna and at some point the water temp sensor went bad and I had to replace it, which was super easy, AND which cost only $9 because it used the same sensor as on some Honda cars, so I was able to just get it at the auto parts store.

I love how this bike rides - it's easily the most fun to ride of any bike I've had, but I'm having trouble trusting it.
I bought it used with 7k miles already on it. So I guess I should trust it.
But I've had 2 Sportsters before, and neither of them ever heated up that hot on the back of my legs, even in "parade" type conditions. (i.e. sitting in traffic)

#9 ·
Excuse the "metric" values...we deal in Celsius ....here are some figures from my PowerVision screens;

On a trip today started, warmed up to 45 C
Freeway running it was between 65 - 80 C - depending on speed and on coming wind
Queuing traffic , it went up to 110 C - and fans came on....took temp back down to 95 C

Ambiant temp was 17 C

Humidity 89%

Wind was 15kmph

Can't give you any more than that....

#11 ·
been on this forum since may hadn't seen any post about failed temp sensors.

these water cooled engines are built with much closer tolerances, i..e.. more HP from smaller c.i......and likely builds up more heat.

that's where the water cooled comes in...
these bikes are built to be urban warrior street fighters >:D and can take the heat driving in urban congestion

just be sure your coolant level is correct and drive on
always check for visible leaks though.

i seen on my recall paper work for the fuel pump there was a second sheet that showed a clamp was replaced under warranty, but it doesn't say which clamp it was.

the only leak ive had, was day before yesterday when i drove it home from getting the fuel pump recall done, is from the fuel overflow bib where it comes out of the front right of the gas tank, where they didn't reinstall the hose from the tank bib
:(

#12 ·
The fan is set to come on at 105 Celsius and turn off at 100 Celsius. Going by my Mastertune ... I haven't see the bike over 110 Celsius yet. Not sure what that converts to in F but it should be easy enough. The only time the fan comes on though is when I'm either stunting on the bike or the RPMs are over 6000 consistently.

#16 ·
Did 100km today and stop on hot scorching sun for 5-10 mins with engine running, does not seem the fan working... came back checked fuse, intact.

Does it applies to street 750 to test if fan working is by switching to ignition(engine not start) , throttle rev full and few seconds the fan should kick in. If yes, than mine is not working either. I try with both kill switch off and on, the fan just don’t spin.

Is it the same way how one test if our radiator (water pump) is flowing.

Thanks guys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.