Harley Davidson Street Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a UK version of 2018 Street Rod. It has teh factory fitted alarm system and factory LED indicators. My problem is that the indicators do not work correctly when the engine is not running. When the engine is running everything is fine. With the ignition on and engine off the left front indicator will work but the left rear is blinking very faintly, switch to the right and right front is flashing very dimmly when the rear is fine.

Run the engine and everything is fine.

Battery voltage when resting is as expected - when ignition is turned on it drops to 10v but this is (I think) expected as all the lights are on.

I have searched internet and this forum and not come across mention of this behaviour - anyone have any ideas?

· Registered
96 Posts
I'll walk you thru a test to see who is the problem of 3 components that make up the charging system. It's too easy a diagnose, even a rabbit come out of its hat.

Battery - A well charged battery is showing 12.8v in its off the charger and sat for half a day. This just its static charge, but does it hold PUSH? Volts means PUSH. So to see how well the battery holds voltage, set a voltmeter to the 20v setting. You set the leads to the meter to the correct polarity of the battery and leave it there for the remaining 2 tests.

This will now turn the starter motor over and this acts as a load test; to PUSH the electric motor over. So you look at the meter as the load starts at 12.8v, and then drops to 11.1v when the motor is spinning. It then quickly recovers to 12.8v once the engine starts.

These are ideal numbers so far as finding the static number, the load number, the recovery number. You now know the meaning of PUSH and does the battery hold E?

Voltage/Regulator - When the engine starts, you will see the numbers read out as 12.8/11.1/12.8/14.4v. So looking at those battery numbers, we rule out both the battery and and now the voltage regulator. Why? Because you are looking for the VR to show it can hold a steady volt over 12, and under 16v. There is nothing wrong with the VR.

Stator - This is the last component of the charging loop. This makes AC go up a wire to the VR; VR cuts the voltage to 14 so it does not over cook the acid, or under so as to not meet the demand of the rest of the... lights, coils, etc. So if you see the sequence after a fully charged battery installed, the numbers go 12/11/12.8v and remains there, it shows you are using the battery, and slowly depleting volts down to 10v as you have now.

Then the voltage remains the same as static when running, it's the stator.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts