Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local stealer finally got a couple Streets on the floor, both gloss black. I like the bike... most all aspects of it aesthetically. I sat on it, and my knees are close to being level with the top of the tank, which makes it feel like a small bike though.
I asked if they allowed test rides, and they said not on brand new bikes. They generally only allow test rides on a used bike, then you buy the new one... hmmmm. Well, I don't see me buying anything I can't ride first, especially when it is all new. Fortunately, I am not necessarily in any rush to buy one. Sounds like they have a couple wrinkles to iron out first anyway. I think I will keep an eye on CL, and buy one that is slightly used to replace my Sportster in a year or so.

·
Registered
110 Posts
How can you sell a bike without offering a test ride? Find a different dealer. The dealerships in the Austin area let you take a new bike out for a test ride. You need your motorcycle endorcement on the licence and you sign a document that says you are responsible for any damage to the bike. They wil let you use a helmet if you did not bring one.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Personally, I can understand the dealer's reason for not allowing test rides on new bikes. From a buyer's perspective, when I buy a car or a bike I want to see no or very low mileage on them. For bikes I expect less than 8 miles on to odometer. preferably 4 or 5 miles max If everyone rides the new bikes and do not buy them, then it is a "used" bike in my book and should be discounted accordingly based on the mileage on it. If you want ride the bike, attend a Demo Days event put on by some HD dealerships. You can ride all day long with the HD paying for any damage to the bikes and you pay the damage to yourself. I do know if you have purchased from the dealership before, they will allow you to test ride the bike (at least at my dealership). I was offered a test ride on the the Freewheeler that I declined as I knew I was not going to buy the bike anytime soon. When I get serious about it then I will take them up on the test ride or ride it during their next Demo days.

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
Find a different dealer.

I agree. Call ahead to make sure another dealer has one available for test riding of course and drop by your local dealer and tell the sales manager where you're going to purchase the motorcycle just to twist his nipple a bit.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I agree. Call ahead to make sure another dealer has one available for test riding of course and drop by your local dealer and tell the sales manager where you're going to purchase the motorcycle just to twist his nipple a bit.
Maybe the sales manager is into nipple twisting and still you're a no go!>:D

·
Registered
27 Posts
When I bought mine I definitely got a test drive! I certainly would not have purchased otherwise!

I even told my salesman I'd never actually ridden on a street before....and he still took me out for a ride! (I'd only ridden in huge parking lot for my ABATE course and test before my test drive).... I don't buy something without trying it first.

My husband is the same way...the first bike he test drove, with the intent of purchase, he has issues with the shifter and kept killing it...so he decided against it...couldn't have known that without a test drive first.... and ended up going in another direction because of it....

Mine still had low miles on it when I bought it...under 50....I can't remember exactly though

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
When I bought mine I definitely got a test drive! I certainly would not have purchased otherwise.

Ironically I test rode the 500 the day it was ready and that was two weeks before the 750 arrived. I didn't ride the 750 until after I'd purchased it because I didn't need to (they both ride identically with power being the only difference).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Find another dealer. HD dealers are, maybe the most amenable to allowing test rides of any of the MC brands out there. They ALL used to allow test rides. Many Japanese dealers do not any more. Don't know about Triumph, Ducati and such. I know the MC dealer in Seattle that sells Moto Guzzi is great for test rides.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My local dealer, Fox River Harley Davidson, was very accommodating to me for test rides. I was considering either the Street or a used Sportster 883. Before I tested anything, the salesman I worked with asked me a lot of questions about how and where I intended to ride and what options I wanted. When I went to test the 750, they also had an 883 with every option I was interested in for me to ride. It was basically ride them until you're sure of your choice. When I determined I wanted the 750 over the Sportster, the salesman asked if I wanted to ride a 500 for a back-to-back comparison. Same thing if I had chosen the Sportster, just a longer list for my consideration.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts