Harley Davidson Street Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'll tell you what nobody explained to me until I almost bit the curb... If you look at something while riding you will drive towards it unintentionally. Nice bike you got there! Make sure to get some good protective gear. Armored pants, armored jacket, full face helmet etc. you might not look as "cool" with the stuff on but NOBODY looks cool lying in a hospital bed, or worse.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll tell you what nobody explained to me until I almost bit the curb... If you look at something while riding you will drive towards it unintentionally. Nice bike you got there! Make sure to get some good protective gear. Armored pants, armored jacket, full face helmet etc. you might not look as "cool" with the stuff on but NOBODY looks cool lying in a hospital bed, or worse.

Thanks for you're reply and advice. I took a class at the local community college (to get my license) and learned quite a bit from it. I would highly recommend this to any new riders. I don't do the armored clothes but I do use only a full faced helm, I like my teeth; a lot.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Congratulations and welcome to the forum!

I agree with you on the full face helmet, I don't feel safe with my chin and lower face exposed. I wear a armored leather jacket that's perforated. I get a good deal of air when moving so it's not so bad. I've never worn armored pants only jeans.

But I'm a fan of the "choose your own adventure" style of laws. You wear what you choose to wear. Sorry, not trying to derail your thread.

Welcome again!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Welcome. Gear is for each to decide, just remember, there are tons of people out there that don't look, and some that don't care (like the woman that did a hit and run on me last Friday night). Ride safe.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Had it around 3 weeks, just hit 1300+ miles tonight. The wife and I absolutely love it. Not much to compare it to, as its my first but I'm going to get a larger one for trips soon.

·
Registered
766 Posts
welcome, i'm rather new to Harley and to this forum also.

glad to read that you took the riding class, even though I have ridden bikes for 50 years, I still learn something every time I ride.

yeah, the target fixation thing is very dangerous indeed, what you look at is what you'll hit, practice on counter steering as well as hazard recognition and avoidance, that is one of the most important abilities riders can do to survive or avoid a bad accident.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Had it around 3 weeks, just hit 1300+ miles tonight. The wife and I absolutely love it. Not much to compare it to, as its my first but I'm going to get a larger one for trips soon.
I have a 2nd large bike I use for long distance and or fast trips.
now days, I just enjoy slow riding around our local back roads.

personally, I think everyone needs a bike for each day of the week :D
big bike, medium size bike, dirt bike, cruiser, crotch rocket, trike, boss hoss, bike with side car, chopper, drag bike, ....I was trying to reach a bike for each day for 2 weeks....:)

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have a 2nd large bike I use for long distance and or fast trips.
now days, I just enjoy slow riding around our local back roads.

personally, I think everyone needs a bike for each day of the week :D
big bike, medium size bike, dirt bike, cruiser, crotch rocket, trike, boss hoss, bike with side car, chopper, drag bike, ....I was trying to reach a bike for each day for 2 weeks....:)
A dangerous proposition here! :eek:

This is my 3rd bike. The first was a 2001 Kawasaki Eliminator 125cc, 2nd was a 1982 Honda GL500. The Kawasaki was under powered for me but it was a nice, small bike to learn on. The Honda had more power and was pretty comfortable to ride but I ran into the issue of no mechanics will work on a bike over 10yrs old around here so I used that as an excuse to get my Street 750!

I love this bike for commuting daily but I've found that it's not comfortable for long rides and it is a bit small for 2 up.

My point is, I've been thinking I need a cruiser for the wife and I to take long rides on. And after reading your post, I might need a side car for my kids, and I might need a drag bike to blow off steam on and I might need a dirt bike to play on and on and on and on..... ;)

This is dangerous! haha

1 - 11 of 11 Posts