Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I kinda figured that was going to have to happen sooner or later. I'm ahead of the curve. :)

Was aware of your pushing the envelope. Wanted everyone to know MOCO is committed to the product and has a team of engineers to respond if stuff shows up.

And it will with a new model.

I have the VRSCA 2003 it has had a few of them as well.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Maybe 2 recalls then... This is verbatim from a good friend at a Texas dealer:

Hey Robert, I do know that they just issued a recall yesterday on the streets. They are saying that they "may have been assembled with a fuel tank fill neck that may not allow the fuel cap to seal to the tank properly"

Maybe she's a little off. Won't know til the details hit the street (pun intended) lol

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
That's the price of admission to be an early adopter. But clearly, with this early recall, they're showing their willingness to stand behind the product and not "wait and see". It's a good sign.

I got this impression early on as I've already had my fuel pump replaced because Harley wanted my fuel pump to check out problems associated with it. I don't know if I received the new pump that will be provided for with the recall but I never experienced any problems with the pump itself. My problem was with the low fuel warning light instead.

But Harley was obviously already concerned about the fuel pump when I had mine worked on and that was very soon after the Street 750 hit the market in the US.

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
Hey Robert, I do know that they just issued a recall yesterday on the streets. They are saying that they "may have been assembled with a fuel tank fill neck that may not allow the fuel cap to seal to the tank properly"
I've not had a problem with this but have had a problem with the restrictor plate that prevents a "leaded fuel" nozzle from being used. It sometimes causes gas to puke out when filling the tank spewing gasoline all over the bike creating a serious threat of fire. One spark and the entire motorcycle would go up in flames.

It certainly annoys me and frightens me a little every time this happens and seems to happen regardless of how careful I try to be when fueling. It's never happened on any other MC I've owned.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Talked to my dealership today. They are getting the parts tomorow or monday. Gonna drop the bike of tuesday. Hopefull it will not take to long.
Does anyone know what parts they are going to replace?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Just stopped by the dealership. The only recall out is for the filler neck. My fuel pump is due in on Monday or Tuesday next week... But not because of any recall - according to them.

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Maybe she's a little off. Won't know til the details hit the street (pun intended) lol

I only know what the dealer told me. He thought on the 15th there would be a fuel recall on the bike. If the neck is already out this could be the second one. Or my dealer could be confused. I will know Monday when the documents hit his computer system.

·
Registered
38 Posts
fuel cap recall

Funny you mentioned this and thanks for it. I was going to take my Street into the dealer for "waranty" work on the fuel fill cap. It doesn't lock anymore. I can just pull it off by hand withought the key. jAnd it is hard to get back on.
Spock

·
Registered
186 Posts
Copy and paste from the NHTSA web site.

OPEN RECALLS
Recall Date: SEP 08, 2014NHTSA RECALL CAMPAIGN NUMBER: NOT AVAILABLE
Last Updated: Sep 13, 2014
Information provided up to past 15 years.Please contact your Service Dealer for more information

MODEL
2015 Street

SAFETY RISK
Please contact your Service Dealer for more information

REMEDY

We strongly urge you to take your motorcycle to your dealer to have the appropriate service performed as soon as possible. Should you choose to ride your motorcycle prior to this service, we urge you to be aware of this condition. Some product campaigns may have expired and you may have to pay for the service. Please see your local Harley-Davidson dealer for further details.

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
Looking at the bright side the Streets have only been out for a short time and Harley is actively addressing the problems. On the flip side Honda's just getting around to recalling 126,000 motorcycles it built between 2001-2010 for bad rear brakes that can be dangerous for the rider and possible set the motorcycle on fire because they hang up and don't fully release causing them to "drag" and overheat while riding.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Copy and paste from the NHTSA web site.

OPEN RECALLS
Recall Date: SEP 08, 2014NHTSA RECALL CAMPAIGN NUMBER: NOT AVAILABLE
Last Updated: Sep 13, 2014
Information provided up to past 15 years.Please contact your Service Dealer for more information

MODEL
2015 Street

SAFETY RISK

REMEDY

We strongly urge you to take your motorcycle to your dealer to have the appropriate service performed as soon as possible. Should you choose to ride your motorcycle prior to this service, we urge you to be aware of this condition. Some product campaigns may have expired and you may have to pay for the service. Please see your local Harley-Davidson dealer for further details.
I tried to find this without any luck... Help us out!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I put in my VIN and it says "there are no open recalls on your vehicle". My bike goes in Saturday for the low fuel light staying lit constantly as well as the Neutral light not coming on. If there is anything else that needs to be done I'm hoping they can complete it all when it is there as they have already told me they will be keeping it for at least a couple of days to troubleshoot.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I just spoke with my salesman and he said there are no product recalls or safety recalls associated with my VIN. Are these recalls strictly associated with specific bikes?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts