Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rode my 2015 Street 750 home today, a little bit shy of 70 miles through New Jersey, Manhattan, and finally landing in Brooklyn NY. I really like it a lot. I got it for $5500.00 USD with 348 miles on it and in like-new condition. Not a scratch or speck of dirt on it! It has the Screamin' Eagle Performance Air Cleaner Kit on it. It cruises very comfortably at 70 mph. I was able to sell my 1981 Yamaha XS650 for $1500 so this was a worthwhile and affordable upgrade IMO.

I agree with the criticism about the mirrors. I will be looking to get those out to the sides more. I am not unhappy with the brakes. Maybe the ones on my old bike were worse.

One criticism that I have, which I did not see in any review, is that the kickstand is too upright and folds easily. I pulled over because my phone rang and I new it was about work. I put the kickstand down and once while checking my messages and again when calling the person back the bike almost fell over! It was a good thing I was standing right next to it to catch it! Maybe I was on a slight downhill, but I didn't think so. Maybe it was the wind from passing vehicles. Whatever it was, I don't trust this kickstand at all and I'm going to have to see what I can do about it. I know that there is an optional center stand available. I'd love to see one in action to see how hard it is to get the bike up on it and how well balanced the bike is on it.

I know that there are 2 open recalls on this bike for the fuel pump and license plate reflectors and I will get those things taken care of asap.

All in all though I am very happy and I look forward to having lots of fun on this bike!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Welcome to this Forum. I test rode a 2016 GX750 and it had very good brakes and the mirrors are okay for me. H-D also did a much better job of routed the wiring. But yes the stamped out kickstand and foot gear is still a turn off. I keep telling myself H-D built the Street for a price point but still I think they can do better. The good news you got a supper deal so you can address the issues.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Welcome Happydaze. You sure got a good deal and now you can look forward to many miles of happy smiles.

·
Registered
187 Posts
welcome, was just last year when i rode my V-Rod to the Staten Island zoo (and last time i operated a motorcycle in the NYC metro area)

while i never operated a street750 in the USA, i feel the 750 would be a better ride suited for the often lumpy streets of NYC compared to the V-Rod, which is better for upstate backroads, NJ turnpike/GSP and NY thruway

Reactions: BodybagJonny

·
Registered
504 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, from Ontario, Canada.

·
Registered
177 Posts
".....I know that there is an optional center stand available. I'd love to see one in action to see how hard it is to get the bike up on it and how well balanced the bike is on it."

I had the dealer install a center stand when I bought my 750. I wanted one because they're easier to work on and the bike takes up less space in the garage when its up on its stand. It's also more stable than the kickstand (jiffy stand). I was going into a store the other day & backed it into a spot, slightly uphill, & as I started to dismount the bike started rolling off its sidestand. caught it & no drop or damage, lucky me. I rarely use the center stand in daily activity because its quicker & easier to use the sidestand. As far as putting it up on centerstand its a learning curve, but not rocket science. The salesman demonstrated it when I picked the bike. the fork was locked to the left & with a grasp on both sides of the handlebar he pushed down on the center stand & it popped right up. I tried it that way & it was awkward so I went with the way I did my old one, lift the bike up to center, with the fork locked, one hand on left grip, one hand on sissy bar/rack side rail, push down on center stand while lifting up. Easy peazy. after a while it gets to be second nature. You just have to find the method that works best for you.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for that info. It's very helpful. I hope the people from HD read this forum because I really think that this sidestand issue merits a recall. Who wants their brand new bike falling over? It's ridiculous.

I used to put my old bike on the center stand by the second method you described. I'll invest in the center stand because I really feel paranoid about parking this bike now.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I'll invest in the center stand .
That's exactly what HD wants you to do! Buy HD parts from them!
Ever wonder why they don't recall, or change the mirrors? Cause you'll spends hundreds of dollars buying Mirror Extenders, Tribal Mirrors or others, and it's all PROFIT to them.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Thanks for that info. It's very helpful. I hope the people from HD read this forum because I really think that this sidestand issue merits a recall. Who wants their brand new bike falling over? It's ridiculous.

I used to put my old bike on the center stand by the second method you described. I'll invest in the center stand because I really feel paranoid about parking this bike now.
Nothing to feel paranoid about. If parking where a curb's available I put the front wheel against the curb to be on the safe side. Also watch out for soft asphalt & use a sidestand coaster. Just a few practices to get in the habit of. With a side stand make sure there's no chance of it sinking. Just a little caution is needed. :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
With a side stand make sure there's no chance of it sinking. Just a little caution is needed.
Shouldn't really be an issue with a 450 pound bike but it can't hurt. My last bike weighed about the same. I never used a coaster and it never fell over. This side stand is just a bad design.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'll invest in the center stand .
That's exactly what HD wants you to do! Buy HD parts from them!
Ever wonder why they don't recall, or change the mirrors? Cause you'll spends hundreds of dollars buying Mirror Extenders, Tribal Mirrors or others, and it's all PROFIT to them.
That may be true but it's better than having my bike fall over and get damaged. It's really disappointing that something so simple wasn't designed well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts