Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.

While not an introduction this is more of a re-introduction because of my absence that I felt required an explanation.

Last year was an insane year. My father passed away in January (he was 96 and lived an excellent life). Because of that my mother decided to move into a senior complex and trade the family home, that my father built for retirement, to me in exchange for the equity I had in my home in WA. She decided to do that at the beginning of May and I had a total of about five weeks to sell my home, pack (including disposal of tons of accummulated stuff) and move my butt to Cottonwood AZ. I won't cover all of the details because that would take days but it was insane.

I had to leave my 750 and the rest of the Stone Free Manufacturing stuff at my partner's shop in WA and development came to a halt. Additionally, because the business can't operate with 1500 miles between us, my partner Matt has decided to relocate from WA to Cottonwood AZ as well. The good news is that those plans are moving forward and his house/shop will go on the market at the beginning of March.

The tenative plans are that as soon as his house sells he'll move down here and stay with me. We'll initially lease a shop (no room on my property to build one) while he buys some land and builds a multiple unit light industrial shop with a loft apartment to live in. As soon as we have the leased shop, to cover us until construction is complete, we'll get back to work on the Stone Free chopper and developing new parts for the business.

At best all of this is insane but things are going in a very positive direction. I love the fact that now I'm only about one mile from my mom and see her often. She just turned 95 in January and being with your parent(s) when they're old is something I know is important to many of us. Family should always come first in our lives and that's pretty much what's been going on with me. As soon as we, Matt and I, can get back to business the better and that looks like it will happen within the next few months.

In the meantime I'm back and will be on the forum regularly once again.

Dennis aka Stonefree

·
Registered
596 Posts
Thanks for the update Stonefree. My dad has passed on and watches us from above. My mom at 92 lives in her own 2-bedroom cottage in a retirement home about 5 miles away. My mother in law (87) is in an old age home just 3 blocks (walking distance) away, so I agree that having family around is a good thing.

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the update Stonefree. My dad has passed on and watches us from above. My mom at 92 lives in her own 2-bedroom cottage in a retirement home about 5 miles away. My mother in law (87) is in an old age home just 3 blocks (walking distance) away, so I agree that having family around is a good thing.
I couldn't agree more and we take life as it comes. What I find exciting, after this disruption, is the future plans that are always important. The entire "Stone Free" project that evolved into a business was based upon building a tribute motorcycle when my brother passed away three years ago so the whole thing is really based upon "family" either directly or indirectly. The only reason my partner and I started a business was to share the development of parts that I had to do for my Stone Free chopper project with others that might want to do the same. It's never really been about money and actually costs me a lot more to share these products than what I would spend just creating the chopper. If I break even I'll be surprised. LOL

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Aah true love, only found and expressed by those with a passion for motorcycles!

I accept that as the highest compliment possible. Many justly condemn enterprise based upon greed as advocated by Adam Smith in his book the Wealth of Nations but where we find truly great enterprise is where it's foundation is based upon love and passion without greed. Regardless of whether these enterprises succeed or fail faniancially becomes irrelevant because they're always an expression of the love and passion of the founder. Our business is based upon sharing our love and passion of motorcycles and if we happen to succeed finiancially it will only be a bonus because we've already succeeded personally from the venture.

Reactions: Propnut
1 - 5 of 5 Posts