Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

61 - 80 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
That sucks mate. did you contact them directly prior to purchase to organize faster post? they may be travelling by boat, unfortunately
I did not as I did not wish to spend more than the initial $60 already required for international shipping.

On an optimistic note, the shipment has atleast made it not only to my continent, but also my country (U.S.A.). However the shipment is on the east coast, which is on the opposite end of the country from me....I should probably receive it next week for sure. I am very excited and eager to be able to finally kick my feet forward full time! :)

I look forward to seeing pictures of your own set and ride in the mean time Zowie!

·
Registered
203 Posts
instructions are clear, easy to follow and colour pics

All fitted up perfectly. .!
System bled and brake seems to have even more feel to it
Bare in mind I have only tested it stationary.
Will take it for a spin after bathing her
Many thanks to the PHD crew
Very impressed with the kit..!

·
Registered
766 Posts
man, I need to win the lotto so I can get me a set....lol !

my only concern is the way the master cylinder sticks out up front.
seems like it may be susceptible to damage?

but, I'd also bet the leg comfort on long rides will be much better!

·
Registered
203 Posts
yeah mate, i was worried about that also.
The good news is, the left side(peg) scraped well before anything on the right even came close.
There is still the risk of things flying up from the wheel, of course, which I assume you were also thinking of.
will take a pic of the front of the master cylinder now, vs say, a week or 2's time(i do at least 500 a week) and it may be a good indicator of that

And hey I see you own/ed an ST1300? man, do they scare me everytime I see a white one coming. always think it's the cops..lol
Amazing tourer
There are some cool facebook pages for them.
The local one to me is https://www.facebook.com/OzSTOC
pretty cool bunch

·
Registered
504 Posts
Apparently HD have a factory Forward Control Kit for the Street, now. I believe I saw it in the 2016 Parts catalogue.

Reactions: ian123net

·
Registered
111 Posts
So Zowie;

Can you give us a review of how difficult they were to install and how they are working for you? Is the right side air filter in the way? I am also very interested in these.

mgg

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hi mate,
The install was pretty straight forward, thanks to the detailed instructions(especially if you have a little bit of common sense and/or mechanical knowledge).
The PHD crew did an amazing job with the kit, IMHO.
The coolest part is that nothing needs to be cut, or changed on the bike from standard, apart from a couple zip ties.
Even the rear brake switch, instead of mounting it to the master cylinder, like originally intended, now mounts directly to the rear brake hub, where the new line goes, all supplied.
I can not say enough about how well thought out this kit is. blew me away.
I have bought 'bolt on' stretch and bobber kits before and almost always have had to make or buy something for it.

Not this time

The ride is great for me, as I cant have my leg at 90 or less degrees for extended times, as it wrecks my knees.
This now sets me like i am sitting on a sofa, lol.
my legs rest against the air cleaner, as i use my legs to hold the bike, like you would a horse, so i dont notice if it would be bad for a 'normal' rider(if how i do it is abnormal)
overall, its the best money i have spend on my bike, apart from the exhaust

·
Registered
111 Posts
Thanks for your review. I am now contemplating this kit. (I have been thinking about weather to buy a new bike or buy this kit and keep this one a while longer.) I don't want to keep putting money into it if I am not going to keep it.

mgg

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi Zowie , very interested in your set up, any chance of a photo with you on it and info on how tall you are.
Where you bought it from is selling two types, a 10 inch and a 12 inch.
They say the 10 inch is for less than 175cm tall and the 12 inch for over 175cm and guess what, I'm about 175cm tall.
Decisions,decisions before I fork over $700 Oz.
Also (if you're not in witness protection) where in Qld are you, I'm on the GC.

Peter

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hi mate,
Here is a couple pics of both sides

I am 170cm tall, and at the time, they didnt have an option, and wasnt aware they now did, lol

I live in Toowoomba, but my brother lives down your way, and I plan to ride down that way soon.

More than happy to let you plant your bum on her and see if you like it?
Or if you are up this way, same offer mate

Hope this helps

·
Registered
32 Posts
Wonderful photos, thanks Zowie.
My wife (and much better half )is also riding the bike and is not keen on the forward controls, she has graciously said I can modify my own bike when I buy my own.
So thanks for the offer of a test ride but probably not required at this stage.
A friend has just bought a Kawasaki Vulcan with forward controls and from a test ride,(this morning) I personally am not sure it's the route I wanna go as newbie rider. Tried some QRide Figure 8's on it and it's not as easy as on the Street 500.
The tallboy seat I have fitted has made general riding more comfy for me and I feel less hunched up.
So thanks again for the test ride offer and photos. Much appreciated.

Peter

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hey Zowie, (and perhaps anyone else who has this kit), First, thanks so much for the detail you provided on this thread...I have been looking for forward controls, and not only you here, but on FB street group is recommending POCK PHD. Are you still satisfied? For whatever reason the pics you attached a few months ago dont show up to open for me, but thought I would just check again. Any feedback you (or anyone) can provice would be great. Curious of the order methodology/shipping, as I am from the USA, as it seems on ebay from POCK PHD they are out of stock.

·
Registered
17 Posts
"We wants deez baaaaad!"

This is what my poor cramped legs sceam to me every time I ride lol. But which of these will work with Engine Guards installed?

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Did you weld tabs to the frame to hold your system in place?
Nope, no welding involved at all.

"We wants deez baaaaad!"

This is what my poor cramped legs sceam to me every time I ride lol. But which of these will work with Engine Guards installed?

I have had the front controls from harley-th28 on ebay (Harley Davidson Street 500 750 Forward Control Brake Line Set | eBay) for several months now.
Made the trip to Sturgis much more comfortable.

But, No, you can't use the engine guard with it. Unless you don't want to shift ever, ok, sorry, that's not really funny.

Mine came with the levers reversed. As in, the shift lever was on the brake side and the brake lever was on the shift side. Luckily, I was able to disassemble them and reverse them back.

Only other issue I have had was partly of my own making. I have changed out the stock 13 inch shocks for 12 inch black shocks and now the controls are the lowest part on the bike. A couple of times during very sharp right hand turns I have scraped the pivot point for the brake lever. And yesterday, while heading to the mountains, at the end of a 20 mph (tight) right hand hairpin turn I dragged the heel of my right foot over the asphalt. A bit unnerving and enough to convince me that I have to go back to 13 inch shocks, or keep dragging. (Or lose 50 pounds and so I think new shocks will be accomplished quicker)

·
Registered
17 Posts
@ CO WanderZest - thanks very much for answering.

For anyone who can advise - from searching it looks like I need Tall Boy Seat + Reduced Reach Handlebars?

Plus an Airhawk Pad to alieviate pressure points... Should be almost like Forward Controls if I sit far back?

Right now my knees are above gas tank and cramps attack my friggen hip sockets.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Changes for hips.....

A nice site to help with looking at vehicle customization and the effect on the rider is Motorcycle Ergonomics .
You can see what seat rise, and movement backward, which both happen with the Tall Boy Seat, will do to hip and knee angles.
You can also see that changing the handlebars, doesn't change hip angles very much, and certainly not knee angles at all.
That said: I am 6 foot tall and started out with the TallBoy seat and last year after 400 miles to Sturgis, I needed the AirHawk to make it back home.
Early this year I added the front controls and my hips and especially for me, my knees loved the change. (It forced me to change the big grotesque, tumor of an air cleaner system that is the stock version- that change was to K & N K&N 63-1130 Air Intake, Performance Products .
The Tall Boy seat was still like riding the top of a board fence and my butt would get so sore after 200 miles or 4 hours, whichever came first.
I changed to the Corbin Gunfighter and Lady saddle and it feels like angels are cupping my butt while I ride. Ok, I exaggerate a little there. Plus I to my knowledge, but butt has never been cupped by angels.
I am a little disappointed with the set back on the Corbin seat. I would trade some of the passenger portion to move my butt a little farther back.
I am considering, trying the Tuffside DIY Seat Re-cover kit, but will be checking with them to make sure I can cover the TallBoy Seat with their product. Would seem like a winning combination. Harley Street 500/750 DIY Seat Re-Cover Kit, Harley Seat Cover, Seat upholstery, DIY seat cover

So all my rambling adds to 1. Reduced reach handlebars help lower back. 2. TallBoy Seat does help hips and somewhat the knees, but isn't any more comfortable for your butt than the standard seat. 3. Forward controls help knees and the hips.

·
Registered
17 Posts
A nice site to help with looking at vehicle customization and the effect on the rider is Motorcycle Ergonomics .
You can see what seat rise, and movement backward, which both happen with the Tall Boy Seat, will do to hip and knee angles.
You can also see that changing the handlebars, doesn't change hip angles very much, and certainly not knee angles at all.
Thanks very much for the ergo tool - a keeper. But I don't see a way to adjust Seat positioning, back, forward. Seat Height is all I can change.

And TYVM for all your advice from experience (including angel cupping :)) Ok, I dropped my bike twice and put on engine guards. Just learned I need Forward Controls but they are no go with the guards. Gah...

When I mentioned change in handle bars + tall boy seat, etc I was thinking of this post:

I have a tall boy seat and highway bars toss some pegs forwards and stretch out honestly get about the same feeling as the vrod or the other foot forward controls out there. For a heck of a lot cheaper as well.
Do you know what part #'s he is referring to? Not sure if he is talking aftermarket parts or what. But I will have to come up with some workarounds to simulate forward controls and get my own angel cupping goin on down there :D

And wish you great success with DIY upholstry. I'm nowhere near that level with fabricating or altering. I will look into a custom Corbin Gunfighter seat. I read somewhere they can make custom to move you back more. I will determine if thats true.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Only other issue I have had was partly of my own making. I have changed out the stock 13 inch shocks for 12 inch black shocks and now the controls are the lowest part on the bike. A couple of times during very sharp right hand turns I have scraped the pivot point for the brake lever. And yesterday, while heading to the mountains, at the end of a 20 mph (tight) right hand hairpin turn I dragged the heel of my right foot over the asphalt. A bit unnerving and enough to convince me that I have to go back to 13 inch shocks, or keep dragging. (Or lose 50 pounds and so I think new shocks will be accomplished quicker)
Hi There
See the link below full set forward controls Harley Davidson Street 500 750 Forward Control Brake Line Set | eBay
I have been thinking about this mod myself but not that tall so going for highway pegs on engine guard . I hope best of both worlds.

Hoe the link is of interest,

G
Thanks to both of you for the info and sorry for the dumb questions - I'm trying to learn. I had another painful ride recently and am considering ditching my engine guards for forward controls. Either that or the highway pegs that attach to the guards.

I'd hate to drop my bike again without the crash bars. But as a new rider it's not safe riding uncomfortable with sharp pains in my upper legs and tail bone pressure points with the stock seat. Plus with cycle-ergo.com I can see I'm sitting as far back as I can with near 100% arm stretch so I may have to get reduced reach handlebars once I can sit further back with a different seat.

Gonna have to look into taller shocks also so I don't scrape Forward Controls while leaning on sharp turns.

61 - 80 of 87 Posts