Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Any more info available on the tool needed to hold the pulley whilst torquing the bolt? I assume bike being in 1st gear and rear brake applied isn’t sufficient?

·
Registered
5 Posts
So is this a common issue? Just bought my 500 and have a bit over 1000 miles. Should I check the torque on this bolt now?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I belong to a facebook group for the streets, and this problem is turning into an epidemic, most people are using ARP 156-2501 bolt as,a replacement american racing products, it is originally for a ford 4.6l but is exact size for our streets, ironically mine snapped after getting new tires at the dezlership as well....i almost thinknits time for a class action lawsuit, well over 20 people that i know of have had this happen . 4 hours labor is spalling as well ,drop the tore loosen up swing arm bolt install belt push swingarm bolt back in place. Torq done.new belt is 178.00 dollars.

·
Registered
52 Posts
So I just bought the bolt(ARP-156-2501), is it a simple matter of removing the existing bolt and installing the new bolt to torque specification? Or is there something unique about the installation that I need or should know?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Hey guys I know I got rid of mine, but I had opened a formal complaint when mine broke the second time. I just got a response. Andrew, if you happen to have contact information for anyone else this has happened to I'd LOVE to get their information. The NHTSA is doing the investigation on this matter. I agree, a class action lawsuit is reasonable, and I went through this twice, and this really made me question the safety aspect of the street series, not to mention Harley. Belts got tore up both times, guards destroyed, labor, time, tow costs, and this was my main source of transportation, so lost work time both rounds.

Also, that piss poor excuse of "humidity" really burns me the hardest. I'm not exactly thrilled. I loved my 750, it was set up the way I wanted and had a lot of money invested into it. But more so, yes I know its a motorcycle, but my safety was more important.

Anyway, anyone who wants to submit please get back to me. If you private message it will show up in my email so I can give that to the investigation team as well.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I've had a couple of emails about this, if this happens or has happened to you, PLEASE grab photos. If you did, post them here. I want the street series fixed for future owners as well as current owners. Oddly enough as of less then 2 weeks ago my (now traded in) 750 is STILL at the same dealership unsold. It's a shame really, was a great bike, apart of course from the pulley snaps and the multiple rear brake caliper problems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey - any suggestions
Hey guys I know I got rid of mine, but I had opened a formal complaint when mine broke the second time. I just got a response. Andrew, if you happen to have contact information for anyone else this has happened to I'd LOVE to get their information. The NHTSA is doing the investigation on this matter. I agree, a class action lawsuit is reasonable, and I went through this twice, and this really made me question the safety aspect of the street series, not to mention Harley. Belts got tore up both times, guards destroyed, labor, time, tow costs, and this was my main source of transportation, so lost work time both rounds.

Also, that piss poor excuse of "humidity" really burns me the hardest. I'm not exactly thrilled. I loved my 750, it was set up the way I wanted and had a lot of money invested into it. But more so, yes I know its a motorcycle, but my safety was more important.

Anyway, anyone who wants to submit please get back to me. If you private message it will show up in my email so I can give that to the investigation team as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey, add me to that list! I have a 2015 Street 500 with just 5,000 miles on it. A year ago I bought it from the HD dealer after taking their riding academy class - it was one of their academy bikes with just 2,100 miles on it. Anyway, a couple weeks ago I was riding to work on the highway and it completely lost power - thankfully I had enough speed to coast into a construction zone where it was safe. Had it towed to the HD dealer I purchased it from, only for them to tell me it's going to cost me $3800+ to fix - they said the output shaft pulley bolt backed itself out and snapped, the belt was shred, the splines are badly damaged and a long list of other parts that will need to be replaced. Let me know if there is a class action suit - I'd like to become a part of it. I'm just so thankful I was able to safely get out of the morning rush hour traffic. Oh, and another thing: sitting next to my broken bike in the HD repair shop was a 2017 Street 750 with 20k miles that had come in with the exact same thing - a broken output pulley shaft bolt. I'm thinking there's a definite known issue that HD is hoping will just go away.

I'm brand new to this forum (today) and just logged on to see if this has happened to anyone else. Anyway, Steelrain, how do I private message you to give you info for the "investigation team"?

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
64 Posts
I'm brand new to this forum (today) and just logged on to see if this has happened to anyone else. Anyway, Steelrain, how do I private message you to give you info for the "investigation team"?

21 - 35 of 35 Posts