Harley Davidson Street Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I've just been for a couple hour ride and on the way home I noticed a very noticeable 'buzzing' noise when applying the front brake.

Has anyone else come across this?

It's sounds almost like an electrical buzzing sounds coming front the brake lever area itself (if that makes sense).

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
211 Posts
The lack of a centre stand with things like this doesn't make life any easier! Try and get the front wheel off the ground, spin the front and see what's what.

Crap embedded on the pads? If you're not getting any 'pulsing' through the front brake lever when you apply the brake, which would indicate your disc is running out of true, I would strip the pads out and clean it all to start with.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Front brake light switch?
I'm thinking this yes, it's as if the cables aren't fully connected maybe...
Like an electrical buzzing noise as soon as lever is compressed, but only as high speed.
When coming to a stop, it'll buzz down to maybe 20kmh then stops even with the brake lever still applied.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Try disconnecting the brake light switch LWS, and see what happens. Unless you're a sparkie with a test meter, the only way to go would be to isolate one by one everything in the area of said noise.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Try disconnecting the brake light switch LWS, and see what happens. Unless you're a sparkie with a test meter, the only way to go would be to isolate one by one everything in the area of said noise.
Yeh I'll give that a go tomorrow, thanks Phil13

The frustrating this is you can only here it whilst riding, not when stationary. Bizarre.

It'll be a trial and error fix I think.
I've checked the connections on the actual connectors and all seems OK :-/

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mine has made a buzzing noise from the front brake since new. Without the helmet on it is very noticeable. Had it to the useless dealer twice. They state that it is normal. Mine comes from the front pads. It goes away when they are wet. I'm just going to install better pads

·
Registered
22 Posts
The front disk is drilled, when you apply the brake the disk heats and the air trapped in the holes will expand as the pad passes over the hole, when the hole moves pass the pad the expanding air will pop or buzz. The hotter the brake the louder the noise. This is common on almost all drilled brake disks.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the replies.

I’m struggling to believe it’s pad related.
It’s coming from the lever / bar area I’m sure of it.
And it’s 100% an electric buzzing noise, such as if you were to unplug a socket from the wall slightly and it was half in contact half not.

Really bizarre.
Definitely a worrying noise, not something I’ve ever heard on any other bike and definitely not a Harley.

It only happens when braking with speed, slowing at or almost to a stop and it disappears.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Well if the sound persists after new pads, then I feel DanIII will have the best explanation.

Yesterday while taking the freeway off-ramp there was no traffic around me, I pulled in the clutch and grabbed a handful of front brake. The buzzing occurred, but tapered off as the bike slowed to a stop. My 750 is a stock standard 15 model.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mine has made a buzzing noise from the front brake since new. Without the helmet on it is very noticeable. Had it to the useless dealer twice. They state that it is normal. Mine comes from the front pads. It goes away when they are wet. I'm just going to install better pads

This seems to be the general diagnosis so I think I need to give it a try also.
Haven't had chance to buy new pads yet but hopefully that will fix it!
Such a strange noise, never noticed it on any other bike before and it's defiantly noticeable!

I'll try and get a video of a ride-past whilst applying the front brake...

Thanks mate

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The back brake is squeaking like mad now too, so it's either an annoying loud buzzing noise from the front, or a squeak from the back!!

Is this new pads as well??

1 - 20 of 21 Posts