Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.Ok,this might be a stupid question but hear me out.I've been looking over the bike as we do,and i have decided I don't really like the rubber boots on the front forks.so my question is simple,are they necessary? I have read elsewhere that if the seals are good quality underneath the boot there isn't much benefit in having them if your willing to clean the forks off after riding?
Cheers ?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi everyone.Ok,this might be a stupid question but hear me out.I've been looking over the bike as we do,and i have decided I don't really like the rubber boots on the front forks.so my question is simple,are they necessary? I have read elsewhere that if the seals are good quality underneath the boot there isn't much benefit in having them if your willing to clean the forks off after riding?
Cheers ?

Not really needed on it, can just cut em off n ya good to go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
187 Posts
yes they are there for blacking out the chrome on the fork. i like that they make the forks appear to have bigger diameter so I leave them on :)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Tomatoe Tomato... Aesthetics over performance, just like the rack and pinion covers for your inner tie rods, if it is perfectly sealed hydraulically, will it not leak, of course (fluid dynamics) will it look cool maybe, but it serves a purpose, keeping out micro dust, dirt, and debris from getting past those said seals and causing mayhem on your forks. Of course even with the covers on things happen, but that's why you are to take the preventative maintenance steps to help that from happening... I say leave them on, and keep them clean and don't use any special type of oil based shiner/conditioning product, rubber and oil do not mix at all... It will deteriorate, expand, swell, and crack.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yeah,your probably right but I just hate all the plastic and rubber on this bike.is there anyone who has removed them out there?

Yep i removed mine.. my housemates 2 bikes dont have gators from factory and he said he hasnt had any dramas.

·
Registered
29 Posts
That is what I was imagining,looks a lot cleaner.what size bars did you add and did you have to change cables?

Used 8" mini apes, didnt have to change cables. I had to extend wires ( i put wiring inside bar). Am going to be changing them to 12" apes soon ( put forward controls on and think it will be more comfy) and will have to extend the cable then but you can buy a cable kit for $165

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks mean and clean,thanks for the info man.I'm pretty sure mine are about to come off along with the fairing.ive been thinking about different bars but don't know if i could make it as clean as yours.so not sure if i should bother.hmmm,decisions decisions

·
Registered
231 Posts
Yeah,your probably right but I just hate all the plastic and rubber on this bike.is there anyone who has removed them out there?
I will admit it does look clean without all the accessories/covers attached, but that's also with the teardrop light cover fairing removed too, which I have grown fond of... Ask the guys that drive daily and in windy/dusty climates to take apart their forks when/if they do an oil change on the shocks and check the springs for dirt and debris... I'd still be concerned with long term damage control... Controlled experiment I think is in need for the proof of cover/uncovered...

·
Banned
84 Posts
If you really want to make the front end cleaner you could get a chrome springer fork and a spoked wheel without a brake.

·
Registered
231 Posts
If you really want to make the front end cleaner you could get a chrome springer fork and a spoked wheel without a brake.
With these factory junk brakes? Do an upgrade first to the rear like upgraded calipers and a dual caliper/rotor system, stainless steel lines, and a huge master cylinder and then maybe, no front brakes... but then relearn how to ride with no hand brakes... instinctively you will still reach for a handbrake that isn't there...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts