Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was doing 100km suddenly jumped up to 120km and them acted like slipping clutch.. belts half chewed up and no drive. hoping its just front sprocket?? bolts come out? any one had this before? hoping its not a big deal. only have 2500km on bike:(

·
Registered
574 Posts
This sounds like a similar incident a short while ago. Also a front sprocket involved. Do a search on the threads.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I Wonder how many more times this will happen, Before HD has a Recall??

·
Registered
309 Posts
I also wonder how wide-spread this is? I E-mailed my dealer about this a while back but received no response. It sounds, in a way, worse than the Lag-And-Leap problem where, at least, all you had to do was keep plenty of gas in the tank. If anyone else has had this problem please come forth.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bolt sorry... Factory fault i guess... Front sproket bolt ..i expected it to have come loose not snap... Must off been a flaw.. Ether way was lucky

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
The 2 Dealers I spoke to about my belt had no knowledge of the Sprocket problem.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
I posted about this happening to me last fall.
http://www.hdstreetforums.com/forum/149137-post36.html

The sudden loss of power is not fun in the left lane, but at least it doesn't suddenly lurch back like the old lag-and-leap. Just get it over to the shoulder and call and wait for a pick-up from my friend.

I am curious, Zipster_77 as to how much damage you had happen?
And what parts were replaced.? I know you said the belt was half torn up. I assume they replaced the belt.
Mine ended up almost obliterating the belt and melted the front belt cover.

I bring this up again, just to let folks know that yes, this has happened to at least 3 people in the big wide world, which I don't think is cause for yelling about recalls and such. I am pretty sure that in a company such as Harley-Davidson, there are pretty regular meetings that include a review of how many dollars they are sending back to dealers to cover warranty work their products. If they start seeing lots of sprocket bolts breaking, they will know about it long before it shows up here.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I haven't ridden mine since last Thursday. Work had me on a OT day today. I Need to change the Oil/Filter and rotate the tires on my Tucson. Thursday afternoon is a Chance of T-Storms in the afternoon. Morning I have some errands to do.

This place Online quoted me $142 for the Belt. I don't know what the shipping charge would be?? Their website has it listed as a 100 pounds. I need to e-mail them to find out how much??
Harley Davidson Parts | Screamin Eagle Parts | Performance | Boom Audio

·
Registered
108 Posts
Ive had a lost pulley and belt happenat less than 6k miles . I heard a little bit of squeaking then loss of motion with the motor revving . If you look you can see on the cover a rapidly worn hole in the plastic. the belt is worn and disheveled, looking somewhat like a blob of beard hair. The dealer is waiting on parts, I fully believe they get my bike done as soon as the parts get here.
thagorilla

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts