Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all...I have a new '16 XG 750...I sometimes find it hard upshifting from 2nd to 3rd...the bike only has 30 some miles on it...will it get smoother as the miles pile on?

·
Registered
116 Posts
May sound strange but I had this problem till I bought a different pair of shoes. I was wearing some pretty flimsy leather boots when I first bought my Street, and had a lot of trouble up-shifting. After I bought some more heavy duty Redwing boots those problems went away. Every once in a while I hop on the bike with more light weight foot wear and the shift problem is right back.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Check the Shift Linkage. My 15 had a Shifting problem. Found it to be one of the Nuts was Loose. Where the Linkage goes inside the Transmission. I think I needed a 8 and 10mm wrench.

·
Banned
84 Posts
Check the Shift Linkage. My 15 had a Shifting problem. Found it to be one of the Nuts was Loose. Where the Linkage goes inside the Transmission. I think I needed a 8 and 10mm wrench.

Why did you use a 10mm wrench?
I believe that Harleys use American wrenches. If I don't have the right size, then I use an adjustable monkey wrench.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Why did you use a 10mm wrench?
I believe that Harleys use American wrenches. If I don't have the right size, then I use an adjustable monkey wrench.
What? Are you being serious? You think or you know? There is only 2 answers to that... I assume you meant "American standard" and not wrenches in general, they come in many different shapes and sizes (Flare, Box, Open, Crescent, Crow, adjustable, etc). The Hex bolt heads are all metric (4mm and 5mm I've used repeatedly), put a standard size in there and you will round it out internally. Almost everything is Metric, most manufacturers stopped making/using Imperial (American standard/fractions) many years ago. Every recent (last 15 years) car, truck, and motorcycle I have worked on has all been of metric standard, not Imperial...

And you use a "race car wrench" that's not feasible at all... Slip and round and strip bolt heads doing that craziness... No one in their right mind that works professionally on anything uses as their first go to tool. Now as a back up, or for off sizes or tight spaces then yes, I have used it before... That's like telling someone to use Vise grips on every single bolt, nut, and head on the car... You can do it sure, but is it right? Definitely not...

Just like on welding tanks and Torch tanks, I have exact fit wrenches for the job. Now I have seen guys use race car wrenches and destroy brass heads like nothing, but they don't care... Well I want a clear conscience to sleep at night knowing I did the job right, from my professional experience and knowledge, and the right tools. That's them, not me...

·
Registered
231 Posts
I just checked the hex head bolts for the mirror mounting brackets and under the front fairing head light cover, and they are metric (8mm and 15mm), not imperial/american standard.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
These are Metric Harley's. The Drain Plug is 13mm. All the Allen Screws are Metric as well.

·
Banned
84 Posts
Sorry to burst your bubbles but Harley Davidsons are American made, not like that metric jap and euro crap.

I may have used the wrong terminology, I meant to say a Craftsman adjustable cresent wrench.

And there may be a few screws that you might get away with using a metric size wrench.

·
Registered
58 Posts
From my understanding this is the first metric Harley. It was developed for the global market to fill a segment where Harley had a complete and total void. The North American bikes are manufactured in Kansas where the euro and eastern world bikes are assembled in India. Anything that I have ever changed or used on the bike has been metric. The fun part was I was able to go out and pick up some more tools to have in the garage

·
Registered
16 Posts
Um, well, for sure there is a factory in Milwaukee, but the Streets are made in Kansas City, MO - I've been to the factory and I live in Kansas City - google Harley Davidson factory tours and you'll find it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Um, well, for sure there is a factory in Milwaukee, but the Streets are made in Kansas City, MO - I've been to the factory and I live in Kansas City - google Harley Davidson factory tours and you'll find it.
Was the tour worth doing? I live in OP and have thought about driving my street up there for the tour.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Sorry to burst your bubbles but Harley Davidsons are American made, not like that metric jap and euro crap.

I may have used the wrong terminology, I meant to say a Craftsman adjustable cresent wrench.

And there may be a few screws that you might get away with using a metric size wrench.
Sorry to burst your bubble, Harley Davidson is an American made motorcycle, but as we said, this particular series, the 500 and 750 are METRIC!!! India, China, and the UK would laugh if we used imperial standards on this series. Globalization is what they were going for with these models.

And as I said, I have confirmed it myself, each allen head bolt and hex head bolt is measuring METRIC, not imperial standard. And they are not "screws"

I don't care if you said Vise grips with adjustable torque converters, a race car wrench is the last tool to use... You still spelled crescent wrench wrong, cresent...

Euro crap maybe, Japanese definitely not...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes, I went for the factory open day. It's actually pretty impressive - its a highly robotic factory - hadn't expected that at all.

You can go most weekdays and its free!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Strange but true

May sound strange but I had this problem till I bought a different pair of shoes. I was wearing some pretty flimsy leather boots when I first bought my Street, and had a lot of trouble up-shifting. After I bought some more heavy duty Redwing boots those problems went away. Every once in a while I hop on the bike with more light weight foot wear and the shift problem is right back.
You are so right. I've been wearing my Nike running shoes for the first 2 months of ownership and just broke down and bought boots last week. I definitely find it easier to shift, avoid short shifts and find neutral.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts