Harley Davidson Street Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
"Loose Nut" from Bandera, Texas
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of y'all know I totaled my Electra Glide a few months ago. With age creating some issues on a larger tour bike riding two up I startlooking at trikes. I research I narrowed down my search to Honda Goldwing, Can-am and Harley trike. Wanted something long term and reliable so I made this short list based on reviews and personal likes. Wanted something that would be factory supported for long term ownership without issues, so something still in production, good parts availability and fun to ride. Well after hours of phone calls, emails and texts, I set up multiple test rides. So Carla and loaded up early yesterday for our journey. We had a budget and not going over. First was a 2015 Honda Goldwing with 25k miles, private seller, close by. Super nice guy, beautiful white bike, well maintained. Owner let me take for test drive, leaving Carla as hostage. This bike was nice, ran good, looked good, good power,, but I didn't like it. It's big, slow speed turning was interesting and just didn't like the way it looked. Then took Carla around the block on it. I could tell she wasn't to thrilled about it. She said it's to much like our coach, comfortable but not what she thinks a bike should be. So we thanked the owner and headed to the Can-am dealer for test ride. First was the Styker, 2020, 1330 motor, all the bells and whistles. When on about a 25 mile test ride. Actually pretty nice. Good power, handles good, but felt, well let's say weird. Came back to get Carla. She didn't like the way she sat so far back. Said she felt like a tag along piece of luggage thrown on the back. Gotta admit, nice bike, but as Carla looked at me, she knew I wasn't real thrilled about it. Then took a Ryker for a spin. Don't like this one at all, little, vague steering, decent power, just not for me. Could the Stryker worked, yes, but just didn't like the overall fit and finish, they have a lot of plastic that I didn't like. So scratch the Can-am off the list. Next up was Harley. I had found a Tri Glide at a dealer and set up test ride. This bike is basically just like my Electra Glide with two wheels on back. It was nice, really nice. It's sitting next to a beautiful Orange Freewheeler, I'll get back to this bike in a minute. So the test ride on the Tri Glide went great. Liked the way it handled, not hard to turn at low speeds like the Honda, not all plastic like the Can-am. Very stable at highway speeds. Wow, I like this one. Go back to get Carla, she loves the ride. She's comparing it to my Electra Glide and really liking it. One issue, it's black. Carla doesn't like black bikes, not my favorite bike color, but not that big of a deal. So as we are standing there talking, oh, buy the way, the Harley dealership was really, really nice and helpful, we kept walking over to Freewheeler and looking. The salesman comes over with the key to that one and said take it for a ride. I had always thought the Freewheeler looked good, but not as a two up bike since it doesn't have the tourpack. So I jump on it and go about a block, I fall in love. This thing handles great, has the 114 motor, wow! So, I go back to get Carla after a few miles. She's hesitant due to only having a back rest. So off we go, this time for about a 50 mile ride. She's loving it to much to our surprise. Says it feels comfortable and sporty at the same time. We conclude this was the bike. Not having researched the Freewheeler much, didn't know what market price or value would be. We get back to dealership and salesman knew we were hooked by the look on our face. So I told him I needed to do some price shopping first. He said no problem, come into the office and use his PC. He then said if I find another one within 500 miles that's comparable, he'll beat the price. So I'm on the PC, Carla on her phone, come to find out, I just found a bargain right here. A little about the bike, 2019 Scorched Orange/Black Denim, 114 motor, stage 1 (Vance and Hines true duel exhaust, Screaming Eagle intake with tuner) with all the bells and whistles, only 1700 miles, yep, only 1700 miles. Owner bought bike, did all upgrades, then passed away. Widow didn't know what to do with bike, so sold back to dealership. I got the bike for less than any 2019 I could find, with all the upgrades and two year warranty thrown in. Was just a tad over budget, but was a great buy. Dealer ordered a windshield for me that will be here in about a week. Now for the almost 100 mile ride home. This thing is a hot rod. Going to take some getting steering wise, my brain, well that empty space between my ears, kept wanting to counter steer. Definitely caught me off guard time or two. For those who say the feeling isn't the same open air feel on a regular bike, BS. To me, this is definitely a motorcycle, no question. Been a while since I've ridden a bike without windshield, that was different, but soon fixed. The last 45 minute it was dark, could use some driving lights, but don't plan on much night riding as I was dodging deer as I got close to home. My half mile of dirt road was OK, felt much more secure that two wheels, but still have to go really slow. So here's a few pictures. Guess I'm officially an old geezer now.

Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive lighting Vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Speedometer Odometer Light Motor vehicle Gauge

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Administrator
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually did pretty good on my dirt road. Still have to go slow as now I have three tires to dodge the rough spots, but very stable. A few first impressions on handling. It's definitely a wide and very stable. Front tire doesn't like to ride exactly down middle of road. Most roads have a crown in the middle, if you ride a few inches one side or the other it tracks well. Don't counter steer, this will take some getting used to. Can be a little twitchy, not bad but noticeable. Reminds me of a shifter kart. I'm talking about the racing karts with top speed in the 100mph range. The steering at speed is precise and doesn't take much input. Last night coming home without windshield noticed if I took one hand off bars it easily bike moves to side more hand pressure is on. I'm sure with windshield this will be minimal. Have to break the habit of putting feet down, guess when I break an ankle I'll learn. The 114 motor is a beast, especially with Stage 1 upgrades, right at 100HP and 125 torque. Has a sixth gear that I almost forgot about. Then when I did, only down shifted to 2nd at stops, old habits are hard to break. Does want to throw you to outside in tight corners since you don't lean. Time will help me to remember to use knee on tank for support. When we were coming home most roads were two lane and twisty. Speed felt higher that compared to two wheels. Carla lead the way with me following. She is an aggressive driver, no, I mean really aggressive. Normally when I'm on the bike staying up is super easy. Found it to be equally easy on three wheels. Brakes are good. I used a lot of front brake. The trike likes more rear brake as the smaller front tire wanted to wash out a few times when aggressively stopping, again, just a habit I need to change. Seat is pretty good. I'll probably get a driver's backrest soon. Engine heat is a none issue. It was 101 when we hit the road, so a good test. The exhaust is low and curves down under bike. Speaking of exhaust, the Vance and Hines sound good, not to load, with nice tone. Haven't tried cruise control yet. Sitting position is good, had them move bars back so my short arms could reach. Some type of highway pegs will come soon. Has a six gallon tank. Weighs in right at 1100 pounds, so really not all that much heavier that a full size tour bike. So first impression is fantastic

·
Super Moderator
2016 Harley-Davidson Street 750 in Sunglo Velocity Red
909 Posts
That's a very nice looking trike. I'm glad you found something that you and Carla are going to like.

My understanding is that riding a trike or a sidecar rig is a whole different style of riding. The things that you acquired muscle memory for on other bikes can cause issues, so you may find yourself fighting many years of instinct for a while.

·
Administrator
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually the learning curve has been less than I thought. I've learned you can push on the outside bar in a curve to turn easily and counter act the centrifugal force tying to throw you to the outside of corner. Does muscle memory kick in from time to time, yep, but not bad so far. I say I can currently ride the trike about 80 percent as fast in corners. But you can brake later into the cornet and accelerate quicker, so actual total corner time is the same. Below it two videos from the past two days. Take a look, unless you knew I was on the trike, you really wouldn't know. I'm very pleased so far and absolutely no regrets.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts