Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's good to see such a large community on this particular bike I am a new member here but unfortunately I come bearing bad news reporting and seeking advice or common problems with my bike. I purchased my street 750 March 2015 !! within the first week I modded The look as best as my abilities without breaking my wallet, simple stuff nothing too crazy I installed drag bars -LED lighting , I removed the plastic Ducati looking scooter crap in the back relocated the brake lights and turn signals / I installed muffler wrap... I was happy I got the bike with 7 miles on it and I used it to commute back-and-forth to work that's only 4 miles away and commuting through the city as a daily driver. in the entire year I took no more than three Road trips that would involve slightly more than 100 miles hardly anything at all .... I followed the instructions for the break-in period And serviced the bike myself according to the instructions - I took care of the bike
On St. Patrick's Day March 17 2016 almost exactly one year after I purchased the bike it tanked on me out of nowhere:( it was running perfectly fine I went for a Sunday drive put about 10 miles on it then when I got home I couldn't get it to start again it sounded like the timing was off it would crank and sound like it wanted to start and then it would backfire a hollow sound almost like The sound of aluminum baseball bat hitting a homerun I checked the fuel I check the spark I kept trying to start it with no luck finally I gave up and took her back into the Harley store where I bought her several weeks went by and they just called me to let me know that they can't figure out what's wrong with the motor and they have the go ahead to order a new motor and replace it ?? Luckily it is still under warranty and Harley Davidson is currently replacing it free of cost and from what I understand the new motor will have an extended warranty however I am flabbergasted I simply don't understand how a brand-new Harley that's been maintained and kept up can just crapp out like that I'm terrified to continue with this bike now and even though I am upside down on the payments still Harley is going to do their best to purchase it back from me and I have already selected a different model I have a feeling that the xg750 motor still hasn't been through enough research to be considered a trusted engine just yet

Attachments

·
Registered
238 Posts
Welcome...

That sucks....that's what I'm always worried about when purchasing a vehicle that's new and the kinks haven't been worked out yet.....

·
Registered
490 Posts
Sorry to hear that, I've had my 750 for nearly two years and my warranty runs out in the end of July this year. I have almost 13,400 miles on my bike and I will certainly be taking her in for the 15,000 check up soon before my warranty expires. I have been lucky so far. I never had the lag and leap issue but had the fuel pump changed out with the recall. I had Harley do my 1000 mile check up and a couple of oil changes. Now I do my own oil changes. Otherwise I haven't had any major issues.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problems. While I can certainly understand your apprehension about the Street models not getting enough testing I just want to inject a little reason in the argument. There are hundreds of Street owners out there who have absolutely no problems with their bikes. I myself bought a demo model with 500 miles on the odo and I've put another 2K on there myself, commuting, long trips, weekend getaways...varied driving conditions with absolutely no problems. Disparaging the entire line over your bad experience is a little unfair. Could Harley do better with these bikes? Sure they could, and I'm sure they'll improve as time goes on.

With a brand new engine, I'm sure your particular bike will probably run for years to come. If you're upside down on it, wait and trade it in when you're in a better position.

Just my $0.02

·
Registered
96 Posts
Sad to hear, but at lest it sounds like you are getting a new motor under warranty, at no cost to you. I've owned all the marquees and I have to say they have all had issues. I bought a new Honda 1998 GL Goldwing and it would blow a u-joint every 10,000 miles. Then I traded it in on a new Honda 2001 GL1800 Goldwing, that was a big mistake, I kid you not I couldn't keep it out of the shop. The frame even cracked on me. Most disappointing thing is I had to threaten Honda with a lawsuit three deferent times before they would fix it under their three-year warranty. The frame even cracked on me.

I now own three Harleys and they have been the most reliable and the cheapest to maintain.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts