Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I currently live a little west of Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA.

I grew up on bikes. Got my first one when I was 6 years old (A Honda QA-50), and spent my first 2 decades on a series of dirt and street bikes (Rode a Honda CM-400E to High School as my "car"). I sold everything when I joined the army and never got back into it.

Recently, I was early for an appointment so decided to kill some time at the Harley dealer across the street and BOOM.. that bug came back hard! Within the week I scheduled a MSF rider course and it all came back.. even maxed the road test on day 2.

I decided to get a smaller, more nimble bike to get my "legs back" and the dealer had a poor little 2016 Street 5000 with miles on it. I picked her up for a steal (her name is Ruby) and I've put 2,000 miles on that bike in 2 months. It is a real joy to ride. returned from a road trip to New Mexico and WOW, what a place to ride.

I will likely move on to a Softail Heritage Classic (or maybe a Slim) in the next year or so, but I think Ruby will always have a place in my heart, and in my garage. I am trying to convince my wife (who has never ridden) she might like to drive Ruby instead of ride on the back.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Welcome back to biking! The street is quite the fun bike! I always want to keep the street and get something else down the road too. Just picked up my wife a helmet and she said she'd be up for learning to ride! Hope yours decides she wants to ride too

·
Registered
16 Posts
Welcome AndyD - which windshield is that you have?

I'm torn about buying one as I'm not a fan of the look, but I know if I had one I'd love the lack of buffeting...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The HD quick release one. HD of Santa Fe had it on clearance when I was out there. Really easy to install and will release in 15 seconds if you want to ride without it. Was around $200 IIRC.

·
Registered
187 Posts
welcome, i started out similarly to your riding experience: Father got a used Yamaha DT80 from a coworker in 1986 but i mostly rode 50cc scooters throughout the 1990s then quit when i enlisted in 2000. during the long 2006-2007 troop surge deployment i wandered into the Exchange New car sales shop and ordered a V-Rod. but in 2015 I moved back to Philippines to do my GI Bill; V-Rod ownership here is expensive, and the traffic congestion/road conditions favor a smaller bike like the 750. biggest factor was the price, it was the cheapest new bike at the Manila H-D shop last year. i still have the V-Rod, it's just mothballed in a storage unit until I can return to USA

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My dad rode a 1500 Gold Wing I'd still think was too much bike for me..LOL..

·
Registered
3 Posts
How did the 500 do on the highway?

I have a XG500 and have a desire to take her on a round trip from Colorado to central Illinois. Everyone tells me that the XG500 is too small for such a trip but that makes me want to try it all the more.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts