Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't bought my 750 yet, but I'll be looking at a new one tomorrow. I've been all over the Internet looking at reviews, and information on the new bikes. I stumbled across this site in my search and it seems to be very informative..... Thanks guys!:) Now here is where I'm sitting. A few weeks back my 2008 Suzuki Burgman was stolen. The first part of next week I get the insurance check so I've been looking around for replacements. I've been getting mixed reviews on the street series from Harley. Some say they're cheap knockoffs of a real Harley, others say they're the greatest thing since sliced bread (don't you just love the Internet). I like the idea of the street 750. I'm in my late 60s and I don't want to have to wrestle with a big bike, especially since I have no experience riding overly large bikes. I also don't like the idea of something along the lines of a moped. Tomorrow I'm going to look at a 2015 XG 750 at a local dealer. He shot me an out the door price, but I don't know if this is a good deal or not. I also don't know, being as riding season is over, if I should wait and pop on the 2016 model. Here's the deal:

This is an out the door price on a new 2015 XG750 Street (Black or Black Denim). It will have a Quick Release Super Sport Windshield, Black XG Sissy Bar and Backrest Pad, Black XG Luggage Rack, Black Engine Guard, Throw-Over Saddlebags. This includes Bike, All Accessories, License and Registration, Tax, now this is OUT THE DOOR $7955.07

Anyone have any opinions on this? I really appreciate the help, thanks again guys.

·
Registered
575 Posts
If you choose a 2015 or a 20 16 Street 750 you will like it. I am also on the wrong side of 60 and find the size, weight and performance of mine, better than expected. Some issues on the 2015 model have been corrected on the 2016 model and there lies the tale. Do you take a 2015 with all the accessories, ready to ride out the door? Or do you wait till next year after winter and get a plain standard 2016 model?

These decisions are sent to test us.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Corky, welcome to the Forum, from Ontario, Canada!

Yup the riding season for us is over, hence the reason why the dealer is offering a great price.

I have a 2015 XG750, and a Suzuki C50T. The 750 is a great bike, but, if you have the chance I'd get the 2016 over the 2015. Better brakes and overall improvements. The only thing I see that HD didn't fix was the mirror issue! Make it a condition of any deal, 2015 or 2016, that they replace the mirrors with BOTH the HD mirror extenders AND the HD Tribal Mirrors. Your rear view vision will be exceptional! Push them on this and don't back down. I spent another $300 CDN to switch out my mirrors. The stock mirrors are just not safe IMHO! It should be a safety recall and HD didn't even address it with the 2016.

The 750 is an awesome ride! I'm also in my early to mid 60's, retired, and love the bike. It's no comparison the the Boulevard, but you can't compare the Street to a cruiser. Be like trying to compare it to a Road King. Can't do it, but you will love how light the bike is, how agile it is and how quick.

Whatever you do you'll love it!

Only thing I would say is get the 2016 750 because of the upgraded brakes AND push them to make the mirror swap as part of the deal. I'd walk away if they won't.
BTW, that offer on the 2015 sounds great but I can't relate to the US pricing, being from Ontario. GET THE MIRRORS CHANGED AS PART OF THE DEAL.

Reactions: CorkyF

·
Registered
63 Posts
That is a pretty good deal with all the accessories with it. They run around 75-7800 here new with no accessories. With everything on it they could easily prob get 8200 for it.

·
Registered
309 Posts
@CorkyF,

I've had 12 bikes in the past 50 years, the last a H-D 02' SOFTAIL. At 72 with lower back issues I'm glad for the 750 STREET, its nimbleness and its remarkable power. Your 2015 deal sounds incredible but with either the 2015 or 2016 I'm sure that you won't regret it.

"Some say they're cheap knockoffs of a real Harley"

It's fun to CREAM those "real" Harleys between traffic lights!

WELCOME ABOARD!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks folks for all the help and comebacks. Went over to talk to the Harley dealer this morning. He didn't have any 2016s at the moment but what have shortly. The kicker was he can offer me near the deal on a 2016. The only difference I could find was a little better braking system and a hot engine indicator in the Speedo pod. At that point the decision was between the fully decked out XG 750 or a stripped-down 883 sitting next to it. That's why buying things online is so much simpler. The 883 was quite a bit heavier and with the equivalent accessories would've been quite a bit more. He also had a 2015 that someone with buyers remorse had traded in. It was red and only had 400 miles on it. The kicker there was it would only end up with a one-year warranty and he couldn't make as good a discount as he could on the new one. Besides I like that black denim color. After he offered a 2.99% interest rate and free storage in their heated garage for the winter I went ahead and bit on it. They should have it ready to go within a week or two, however that's a moot issue at this time of year in Minnesota. When they are done I'll go over and sign the papers and look it over and make sure I got everything I want. At that point I should have an idea for some additional accessories. I'm looking at the center stand, a GPS unit, and some additional storage besides the saddlebags. Maybe a tank bag or a small bag up by the windshield. They are also getting mirror extensions for it and will have that installed also. After sitting on the bike the first thing I checked were the mirrors. Yes they are virtually useless coming from the factory. Another thing I would like to get is a 12 V auxiliary plug for charging my phone. So if anyone has any suggestions I'd be appreciative. I've already got a lot of good information off of this forum and that's what help me decide what to do...... so thanks again guys.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Corky .............. Congrat's on the new bike! You'll LOVE it.

Glad you got them to at least add the Mirror Extenders. I found they helped with the rear visibility "a bit", but as soon as I ALSO added the Tribal Mirrors it made a world of difference. Just keep that in mind when you're riding this spring. Problem is, the Tribal Mirrors could set you back $150+. Then again safety isn't about the money, it's being able to see.

Welcome again, and ride safe!

·
Registered
504 Posts
OUT THE DOOR $7955.07
For what it's worth ..............the basic XG 750, in "Denim Black", with no options, "Out the Door" Tax, License, and the HD Admin Fees included would be just shy of $11,500 CANADIAN, here in Ontario. :eek:

With everything that's on that bike ............. Windshield, Saddle Bags, Engine Guards, Rear Luggage rack, etc. it's a great deal. They definitely wanted to move that bike this month!

·
Registered
575 Posts
Corky I am sure you have made the right choice. I wish you many miles of happy riding. So while you slide into a cold winter, spare a thought for us in the south as we head into a blistering summer amplified by the El-Nino effect.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Propnut; I'll trade you my cold winter for your blistering summer.....I'll even throw in my snow-blower, & ice fishing gear :)

·
Registered
490 Posts
Under 8k with all the accessories, I would take it in a heart beat! I have a 2015 Street 750 and I had to purchase all those accessories and it was more than $500. I can only speak for myself but I never had the lag and leap issue. The brakes are adequate and I get 50 mpg often.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts