Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

H-D Phone App

3K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  PugslyCat01 
#1 ·
Is anybody using the H-D phone app to record rides and such? I picked it up and it seems very similar to how a friend describes the Fusar app. You can record where you ride on a map, participate in challenges to win virtual badges, and do trip planning. It also has search features for restaraunts, gas stations, and of course your nearest chapel.

I haven't used it enough to have any opinion of it. I don't know if it's possible to share the recorded rides with others, which may or may not be useful in this Ride Reports sub forum.

#2 ·
I've been using the H-D phone app for a couple of months now. It seems to be a decent navigation tool. Searching for specific gas stations and restaurants along the route works pretty well.

Where it fails for me is the Riding Challenges feature, which is still in beta testing. Although individual rides seem to track mileage accurately, that doesn't always get transferred to the monthly challenges correctly. Thus I've ridden more miles this month that haven't been counted than have been counted towards the challenge. I've reported this through their app feedback mechanism.

Another shortcoming is that to tell it you want to record a ride is four keystrokes on separate screens if you are using default settings. It's not something you can really start in the middle of a ride. Ending a recording is a similar 4-6 keystrokes on separate screens. That just all seems overly complicated, and may account for some of my rides that didn't get recorded correctly.

#4 ·
Inaccurately tracking the miles may be an issue with my phone instead of the app. It's a really cheap Chinese built ZTE phone. I tried a step counting application a few months ago with similar results. It would seem to count steps for a hike. Then Google Fit uploaded its numbers to the server. The data wouldn't be correct on the web site and it might even back off some of the steps in the phone app. I'm guessing the Android version of the app uses some of the same functionality as the step counter, so may have similar problems.

It is also a possibility that I'm fat fingering something when I start and stop recording a ride. To start recording a ride you need to tell the app:
1) I want to record a ride
2) Choose whether I want to track wherever I go without a preplanned route use navigation to get somewhere specific.
3) I want to default to my primary bike or select the vehicle I'm using.
4) Actually start recording.

At the end of the ride you have to:
1) Stop recording
2) Choose Resume or Finish
3) Are you sure? OK or Cancel
4) Save the ride in the database or Delete Ride
5) Are you sure? OK or cancel

I'm guessing that if I mess up on any of those 9 steps the ride doesn't get recorded correctly, but that's just a guess on my part. It seems to me that they should be able to have a one button start and stop.

#5 ·
I got a response from customer service:

"Thanks for the feedback. The app recently updated to a version 1.1.09142140, which I see you do not have yet. I actually have some good news for you; with this version some of the exact issues that you are mentioning were fixed/improved. If you go into the app store and download the newest version I am confident that you will notice improvement within the challenges features. We still have some things we are working out, but it is getting a lot smoother."

"As for your suggestion with the record-a-ride function, I will get that over to the developers to review. Your suggestion makes sense to me, and I would like to make sure the whole team gets a chance to consider it."

I've got to find something I can delete off the phone in order to install the update. I'll report back if it helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.