Harley Davidson Street Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Of course the dealer says yes. I don't know very much about the new 96" motor, or what to do or not to do. I know the 103 conversion would be covered under factory warranty, but I'm wondering if it's significant enough of a change to be worth it.

Anyone?

·
Administrator
"Loose Nut" from Bandera, Texas
632 Posts
Please remember, this forum is for the Street 500 and 750 Harley bikes, so, you might not get many responses. I've owned a 96 to 103. You can feel the difference, but not as much as you might think.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Harley-Davidson Street 750 in Sunglo Velocity Red
909 Posts
Now the dealer says it is worth doing. When you go to trade in the bike they will tell you it's a 96 with an asterisk.

Reactions: Lesblank

·
Administrator
"Loose Nut" from Bandera, Texas
632 Posts
Is this a twinkie engine, not an M8? Buy new and be done with it. Twinkie has a cam chain design problem.
Agree and disagree, some earlier 88s did have cam chain tension guide issues, after that, no issues if proper maintenance was performed. I had an 2006 88 with 40k plus miles, looked at tensioners at 40k and looked new. The early M8s had seal issues. With that said, I just went from from an 88 twin cam to a 114 M8, wow, wow, wow, what a difference.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I really think the stock 2009 Ultra will be my choice..it is a better motor than my 1993 Ultra & I can do a lot of cosmetic customizing & motor enhancements with the 15K cost savings...wahooo!
Harley 96 vs 103. Main Difference And Specs Of The Legendary Engines

·
Registered
67 Posts
I now remember the window cut of the twinkie line and that was solved in 2009. So first year twinkie up to 2008 is gear drive and that solves that. 2009, I'd be all in from that year till that engine family had its run.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts