Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone who has this insurance have an opinion over regular insurance carriers

Thanks
Dc

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will likely be going thru my reg carrier but the salesman recommended HD ins so I thought I would see if anyone had it and if there was anything special about it

·
Registered
139 Posts
I will likely be going thru my reg carrier but the salesman recommended HD ins so I thought I would see if anyone had it and if there was anything special about it
Usually, insurance offered by the dealer is a rip-off, at least in the USA. You can almost certainly do better buying insurance on your own.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have found that insurance premiums vary widely between companies for comparable coverage. Best to check as many companies as you can.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Best deal I could find on motorcycle insurance is thru Markel. I was paying $157/yr full coverage on the Rebel I have now at State Farm. Markel is $80/year with 100,000/300,000, $500 deductible AND 24/7 roadside service.

Markel is not a fly by night company either, they are a LARGE player in the insurance industry. Funny thing was a separate division of Markel bought out the company I work for 2 years ago. Two months later I get an e-mail wanting to quote me insurance...:confused:

·
Registered
548 Posts
Stick with your regular guy, especially if you plan on keeping the old horse as well. You get a much better rate for multiple motos...

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Best thing to do is to shop around and find the one that meets your criteria sometimes the cheapest one might not be the best.
yup, basically for all types of insurance the same thing applies, it's good to check with the smaller and newer companies as they really want your business and will be easier on you.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Does that mean that newer companies will be more likely to accept you even if you are a higher risk group? I'm young and on a motorcycle, so it is sometimes hard to find insurance (that's affordable).

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
Because everyone's age, driving record, location, credit rating, and special deductions (e.g. HOG membership, recent motorcycle safety course, etc,), all of which affect the premium price, are different I can only provide anecdotal information related to me because I just renewed my Harley-Davidson insurance through Progressive last week. The annual premium was $197 and that is about $150 less than getting the identical coverage through AmFam that covers my homeowners policy and the insurance on my four cars. I have no complaints at all with the Harley Davidson insurance through Progressive.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for the tip on Merkel. I was with Progressive and my rate tripled when I traded in my Suzuki for the Street 750. Just switched to Merkel and now I am down to $140 per year with a lien on the bike.

·
Registered
504 Posts
.........my rate tripled when I traded in my Suzuki for the Street 750.
Wow!

What model Suzuki did you have?

I also own a 2010 C50T Boulevard, and the insurance I pay on that bike, with the "multi bike discount" is still MORE than I pay for my 2015 Harley Davidson XG750 Street!

Both similar engine sizes (750 vs 800) but the Harley is 6 years NEWER, and in my opinion "more" susceptible to being stolen, than a 6-7 year old Suzuki!

I was surprised at how little insurance I paid on the Harley vs the Boulevard.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts