Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night on YouTube I saw the video from this Revzilla Common Tread article. I think this is, believe or not, possibly a good thing for the Street family of bikes if not H-D as a whole. My take on it is that H-D is in no rush to spend any research and development dollars on replacements for the smaller bikes in their product line. I now suspect they will keep selling the current Sportsters and Streets as long as they can.

Back in 2018 when H-D announced the new modular engine platform my first thought was that the new engines were coming in 500, 750, 975, and 1250cc. Those are exactly the sizes needed to replace every model in the Street and Sportster families. The Pan America and Bronx were coming out in 2020 with the 1250 and 975cc motors, so I figured that by 2021 or 2022 at the latest the entire Sportster line would be replaced by various modular engine bikes. The Streets would be replaced in 2022 or 2023 with smaller versions of those models that had found a market. How wrong I was. Judging from the first article, that may never be the case.

I don't pretend to understand the European vehicle emissions standards. Other forums had said that the air cooled Sportsters cannot pass upcoming standards changes and that was the driving force for the modular engine bikes. Then along comes another poster that says the old Evo engines can pass all current and proposed standards. I would like to think that our Revolution X engines are going to be compliant for a number of years to come.

On the flip side, another part of Rewire is for H-D to pull back from markets and market segments that aren't big for them. Those are, unfortunately, exactly the markets and segments that the Street family of bikes was meant for. As I recall, the 2016-19 brake recall was for 42,000 bikes of which only 12,000 were sold in the United States.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
118 Posts
I personally think limiting the available models is a good idea. Harley actually only have a few families but many models within each platform. As an example, I have my Electra Glide, there are 18 models in the same family. Have maybe two with the option to buy accessories at the dealer to make it your own. The old saying, KISS, Keep it simple stupid, comes to mind. I'll totally agree the Street line needs to be a mainstay as it's where the market currently is. @PugslyCat , great topic. This is an older listing but current lines are close.

·
Super Moderator
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Basically H-D manufactures five frames (Touring, Softail, Sportster, Street and trikes) which define the "families". Each of those frames has a couple of engine sizes and various options that can be attached to it to make the various models. Quite often, if you can't get a particular model you can buy another bike in the same family and roll your own by adding the correct accessories.

As an example, the Sportster 1200 Custom is now discontinued but I can make a close rendition by adding a double seat, passenger pegs, bags, and a windshield to any other Sportster. I could start with the Iron 1200 or Roadster, but the Forty-Eight would be a closer starting point and thus a less expensive conversion.

I kind of like what H-D did with the Softail Standard and customization packages. Those are collections of accessories to transform the basic bike in terms of performance or utility. I would have liked it if they had done that for the Streets, since sales numbers for our bikes don't justify producing large numbers of models within the family.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts