Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to keep striping all for the heads of the screws. Is it just me or is their a trick to not strip them?

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Try using a New Screwdriver. Craftsman, Snap-on. No HF junk. The other thing is, Japanese bikes use a JIS(Japanese Industrial Screw) which I am told is not the same as a standard Philips.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I seem to keep striping all for the heads of the screws. Is it just me or is their a trick to not strip them?

I'd bet these are made in china, using cheap softer metals. IMO
I'd try to find American made hex screws. (if you can find them)

the last 5-10 yrs or so I have noticed especially on the big box stores a downward trend in the quality of nails and screws, and all types of hardware....all while the prices has risen a lot!

the markets are now nearly exclusively china made on everything.
try buying a microwave built in the U.S. or most anything else, it's now impossible....it's all made in china....tools, electronics...etc...:(

·
Registered
367 Posts
It doesn't matter where it's made, just the quality with which they make it. I've got two Allen bolts that want to strip, but I'm pretty sure someone used heavy duty thread locker on bolts that didn't need it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I've got two Allen bolts that want to strip, but I'm pretty sure someone used heavy duty thread locker on bolts that didn't need it.
That's a definite problem, mate
It appears they used the 'Solid Set' Thread Lock on **** near every bolt...
My local service tech said they have personally had to help 1 customer out who wrecked some bolts on his(not sure where) that were un necessarily 'Thread Locked'
I, also noticed this when doing some of my mods

I do concede that, it is better to have them locked, than to have them fall out when riding.....

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I went out and bought new tools. Just need to get the air filter screw out and get a new one haha

·
Registered
172 Posts
Make sure they arent torx screws! Harley loves the t27 torx bit for air filters, as for loctite ya the factory went crazy with the red-dont use red only blue!, the fender bilts are notoriously bad with loctite, we have destroyed several bolts trying to remove them so we could install the 4 point docking harness

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
The screw that holds the Air Filter cover on is Metric Allen. I forget if it was a 5 or 6mm. There was 2 nuts holding the bracket on. I used 10mm socket to remove. Which felt a little loose. Maybe a 3/8??

·
Registered
367 Posts
Make sure they arent torx screws! Harley loves the t27 torx bit for air filters, as for loctite ya the factory went crazy with the red-dont use red only blue!, the fender bilts are notoriously bad with loctite, we have destroyed several bolts trying to remove them so we could install the 4 point docking harness
Any tips for removing stripped ones without tearing anything up?

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Easy outs only work on Low Torque applications. I've broken many over the years.

Another option. Impact Driver. The ones used to remove the screws that hold Brake Drums and Rotors on. Hold in place. Twist in the direction you want. Wack it with a hammer. It digs in while it turns.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts