Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, the stock seat sucks on long rides. It's OK for short city runs, but anything longer and my @ss gets sore. I find I'm even trying to stand up on the pegs, or stand at a traffic light!

I don't really like the looks of the HD Tall Boy seat so I'm thinking of either the Solo, or Reach.

I'm 5'10", 29" inseam and sat on a "Reach" yesterday. I liked it but I'm wondering if I will after riding any length because it does seem to move you forward in your seating position. Would I be better off ordering the Solo seat?

TBH the "Mustang" is too pricey for my tastes.

Thanks

Reactions: Propnut

·
Registered
60 Posts
TBH the "Mustang" is too pricey for my tastes.

Thanks
I have good aftermarket Suspension and a mustang seat. On long rides my a$$ still hurts, Not as bad as stock. Don't buy the tall boy it is just as bad. I'm only assume the reach seat is the same. I Hate being negative. I would save up and purchase something better.

Reactions: Irie and 10-64

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The Mustang seat here is over twice the price of the HD Solo, "almost $500.00 CDN + shipping..................I can't justify that.

I can buy the HD Solo, from the dealer, here, locally for $257.95 CDN

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
We can make you a custom XG seat and add dense memory foam and a custom cover to match your bike. We also have new DIY re-cover kits for the XG on our site so you can also modify your foam or add memory foam or gel or whatever you want for a fraction of the price of a new "custom" seat. tuffside.com

·
Registered
60 Posts
We can make you a custom XG seat and add dense memory foam and a custom cover to match your bike. We also have new DIY re-cover kits for the XG on our site so you can also modify your foam or add memory foam or gel or whatever you want for a fraction of the price of a new "custom" seat. tuffside.com
I don't mean to high jack, but you guys make some sweet wheels.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
can't compare apples and oranges..
Custom handmade seat VS mass produced made in India seat... all depends on what you like i guess.
Funny, I didn't know the seats were "made in India" .............The bike wasn't even made there.

Oh well, I've sat on the HD Solo.

Before I spend that kind of money, sight unseen, or "sat on", I'll go with what feels better.

I already replaced the seat on my C50T with an "Ultimate Seat" after comparing that to the "Mustang". If "Ultimate" made a seat for the XG750 I'd buy one in a heart beat.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Funny, I didn't know the seats were "made in India" .............The bike wasn't even made there.

Oh well, I've sat on the HD Solo.

Before I spend that kind of money, sight unseen, or "sat on", I'll go with what feels better.

I already replaced the seat on my C50T with an "Ultimate Seat" after comparing that to the "Mustang". If "Ultimate" made a seat for the XG750 I'd buy one in a heart beat.
Just FYI, The XG is metric and not 100% made in the USA like other Harley's... Sorry to inform you that most of it is made in India. Ask your local dealer. Or google it.

here http://auto.ndtv.com/reviews/review-made-in-india-harley-davidson-street-750-ready-to-rumble-384255

·
Registered
335 Posts
Just FYI, The XG is metric and not 100% made in the USA like other Harley's... Sorry to inform you that most of it is made in India. Ask your local dealer. Or google it.

here Review: Made-in-India Harley Davidson Street 750 ready to rumble
That article was from a New Delhi news organization, so of course they're going to tout that the Street was made in India. But the ones bought in the US are *not* made in India.

As you said, a little googling will bring up the whole story:
WHERE IS IT MADE? 2014 Harley-Davidson Street 750 and Street 500 | Cycle World

A relevant quote:
But let’s be perfectly clear: All Street 750s and Street 500s for US and Canadian consumption will be built in the Harley-Davidson Vehicle and Powertrain Operations plant in Kansas City, Missouri, where there is a manufacturing line dedicated to producing the liquid-cooled Revolution X engine, a new 60-degree V-twin featuring chain-driven single overhead camshafts. On the other hand, all Street 750s and Street 500s for India, Italy, Spain, and Portugal (the only other markets at this time), will be built in Bawal, which has been expanded to a full manufacturing plant (for the Street models only) and uses parts sourced from all over the world.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
That article was from a New Delhi news organization, so of course they're going to tout that the Street was made in India. But the ones bought in the US are *not* made in India.

As you said, a little googling will bring up the whole story:
WHERE IS IT MADE? 2014 Harley-Davidson Street 750 and Street 500 | Cycle World

A relevant quote:
keep googling if you want. Assembled in usa and made in usa are 2 different things. Not gonna argue with you but this is what we do for a living.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Read your owner’s manual:
VIN Position 1 (Manufactured Location)
1HD = Manufactured in the US
5HD = Manufactured in the US for sale Outside the US
MEG = Manufactured in India (All Streets Models)

VIN Position 8 (Assembly Plant)
C = Kansas City, USA
N = Haryana India

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm Canadian, and my bike was proudly built in Kansas!

The problem is the dam* US exchange rate, to the Canadian dollar.

How many of you spent OVER $10,500, for a "bone stock" XG750, out the door? That's what a 2015 would have set you back last September, from a Canadian dealer, in the Black Denim color option.

Believe it or not.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Not gonna argue with you but this is what we do for a living.
Clearly you didn't even look at the article, so let me at least point out this bit: Harley arranged a tour for their dealers and the press to visit their Street 750 manufacturing plant in Kansas City.

Yes, they also make Streets in India, at a complete factory including powerplants. But depending on your definition of "make", they also have been making theSuperLow, Iron, 48, Street Bob, Fat Bob, Super Glide Custom, Fat Boy, Fat Boy Special, and Heritage Softail Classic in India for the last five years too! And when you buy a Fat Boy Special in India, you're getting one that was assembled in India - to some degree, at least. And when you buy one in America, you're getting one that was made in America.

Assembled in usa and made in usa are 2 different things.
Yes, they most definitely are. If someone claims something is "made in the USA" when it's not, they're in violation of Federal Trade Commission guidelines, and can be sued for false advertising. "Assembled in the USA" is a totally different standard, and would except them from prosecution or other consequences, if in fact the parts were made elsewhere and only assembled in the USA.

As Drkhall pointed out, Harley has specific nomenclature in the VIN number for where it was "manufactured" and where it was "assembled". Those whose VINs start with "1HD" were manufactured in the USA. Those whose VINs start with "MEG" were manufactured in India.

Harley does not make it easy to get a definitive answer to this. I have no doubt that there are parts of the American-made Street that are sourced from India or other places, just like on all their bikes. But the claim of "Made in the USA" is something the FTC takes seriously, and cannot be applied to a box of parts that are brought in from India and then bolted together in America. Harley would be opening themselves up to substantial legal action if that's what they were doing. The fact that they specify that USA/Canada-sold units are "manufactured" in the USA, and that other territories' bikes are "manufactured" in India, makes the case that the Streets are actually manufactured (and not just assembled) in the USA (with the obvious common-sense understanding that there are parts that will have been imported from somewhere else, just like in pretty much all complex manufacturing nowadays).

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm Canadian, and my bike was proudly built in Kansas!

The problem is the dam* US exchange rate, to the Canadian dollar.

How many of you spent OVER $10,500, for a "bone stock" XG750, out the door? That's what a 2015 would have set you back last September, from a Canadian dealer, in the Black Denim color option.

Believe it or not.
It sucks when your currency is upside down. I paid $7000 (9,200,000 Yen) out the door for my brand new 2015 street. It's the only reason why I purchasing it.
In 2010, I bought a car for 15,000,000 Yen the dollar cost was over 20K. So, I have felt your pain.

Hang in there and do what you can afford.

Reactions: 10-64

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OK, just to stay on topic here, I'm hoping to just get a comparison of the HD Cafe Solo Seat vs. HD Reach Seat.

Does anyone have the HD Solo Seat?

Does anyone have the HD Reach Seat?

What do you think of yours?

Sure, there are all kinds of other seats on the Market, but my interest in in comparing only these two. Someone on here has to have one of each on their bike.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK, just to stay on topic here, I'm hoping to just get a comparison of the HD Cafe Solo Seat vs. HD Reach Seat.

What do you think of yours?

Sure, there are all kinds of other seats on the Market, but my interest in in comparing only these two. Someone on here has to have one of each on their bike.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts