Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Harley-Davidson has been building big bikes for quite a long time. What immediately comes to mind is a big 1,499cc displacement bike. The new Harley-Davidson Street bikes are far from this. The Street 500 and 750 move Harley away from its reputation for building bikes only for wealthy, middle-aged white men.

Both bikes are built on a brand new platform. The new platform is built to target young urban riders specifically. As opposed to older riders who ride on the open road. The Street bikes come with smaller, liquid-cooled engines. 499cc for the 500 and 749cc for the 750. The bikes also are lighter and closer to the ground.

The final piece to this puzzle is the low price of these bikes. Even the Street 750 is cheaper than any other bike that Harley-Davidson sells. The 750 will go for $7,500 and the 500 will go for $6,700. That is a low enough price that young people can actually buy them, and HD can hopefully convert these younger buyers into older buyers who buy more expensive bikes later in life.

I think that given the chance, young people will want to own their own Harley, and now they finally can!

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Its styling also shows who it's geared more towards which isn't a bad thing. Good to see something different that even the older folks can ride

·
Registered
548 Posts
not for anything but most young riders do not have 7 grand lying around and most young riders are still into the sport bike scene. I see this more as on boarding new to harley riders as it is new riders...

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am not sure that it is true that young people only want sport bikes. I think a lot of people are looking for more retro styled bikes, like the HD Street. As far as the 7k lying around, I understand where you are coming from, but with financing young people with a job could buy this bike. I mean if young people buy cheap cars because they need them, i'm sure they could also buy a bike if they want or need it.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I am not sure that it is true that young people only want sport bikes. I think a lot of people are looking for more retro styled bikes, like the HD Street. As far as the 7k lying around, I understand where you are coming from, but with financing young people with a job could buy this bike. I mean if young people buy cheap cars because they need them, i'm sure they could also buy a bike if they want or need it.
nothing is cheaper than the used market however. I'll concede not all young riders are into sport bikes but even so, you can pick up a Honda CB for a couple K (trust me I'm looking) the old Yami XS' are selling for a song, and if you want a little more modern GS500s are selling in the 2K range...

plus insurance is cheaper on a used bike...

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have always thought Harleys are too big and expensive for me but these bikes are actually something I can save up for and afford. It's about time they made something like this.

·
Registered
633 Posts
yea regular harleys are way too expensive

but they also are a different kind of motorcycle compared to these streets

but these streets have sweet styling of their own.

·
Registered
548 Posts
whats maintenance like on a Harley? I know Jap bikes are really cheap labor and parts. Not to mention all the DIYers.

I'm new to harley communities does DIY stuff go down as hard with them?

whats labour like? How easy is it to get parts...

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
whats maintenance like on a Harley? I know Jap bikes are really cheap labor and parts. Not to mention all the DIYers.

It depends on the bike, it can vary, such a wide range.

·
Registered
633 Posts

parts are not hard to get

labor is standard

the street hopefully will have cheap parts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
The street is going to be a high volume bike available in a number of nations, my guess is that parts will be cheap or cheaper than other harleys

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
The way I look atthe street 500 and 750, since they are more in the entry level category it just leads them to be gateway bikes. so don't be surprised if you end up walking out of the HD dealer with a hefty bill for accessories. Buy the bike for less and spend the money saved on parts.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts