Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
Any idea if it was so bright that other people on the road were pissed and showed that, maybe with flashing their lights at you?
With my low beam on I do believe it's quite bright for on-coming traffic because I was "flashed" twice indicating that they thought I was riding with my high beam on. As mentioned with my Sportster the low beam is really quite good at lighting the road ahead. My limitation wasn't really about a lack of light but more related being able to see long distances with artificial light at night (that doesn't help you at all on winding roads really).

Of course maybe my eyes are just "old eyes" that don't see as well as when I was younger. LOL

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
I always try to avoid riding at night, hate it, feel like im so much more open to danger, not sure how some people do it.
Riding at night on country roads and highways is far more dangerous because a lot of wild animals are out at night and even a small rabbit will probably wreck you if you hit it going 60 mph. I slow down a lot if I'm riding at night because of possible wildlife that you can't even see in daylight many times until it enters the road much less at night.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Riding at night on country roads and highways is far more dangerous because a lot of wild animals are out at night and even a small rabbit will probably wreck you if you hit it going 60 mph. I slow down a lot if I'm riding at night because of possible wildlife that you can't even see in daylight many times until it enters the road much less at night.
i also try to avoid it, riding on roads like that you really don't know when some animal will jump out at you and at that point you really have nothing inbetween you and it, you're toast.

·
Registered
291 Posts
You talk about wildlife! We have stray cows, dogs etc. on highways and people still speeding. Not to forget potholes,over-loaded trucks, muck, no traffic rules and too much traffic. It's like 2 wheeler riders ride risking their lives here and still drive at the maximum speed their 100cc bikes and scooters allow.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I could imagine, i see video's of what it's like in india, so many more threats to riders over their. sometimes i think people from india are skilled riders for having to go through that.

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
I finally managed to take my Street 750 down the road to the local farm community were they don't have street lights and also have long straight stretches of road to test the hi-beam on the headlight.

It is more that bright enough IMO for safe riding at night assuming someone's not an idiot and simpy wants to ride way too fast. Regardless of how bright a headlight is at night your ability to see potential threats such as wildlife along side the road is greatly reduced. Nothing is "better than daylight" and even in daylight we often ride faster than is really safe in places like forests or along fields were even a rabbit crossing the road represents a very serious threat in causing an accident.

So I'm satisfied that the headlight is better than I'd ever require for night riding on dark country roads or highways but "crazy" riders (IMO) might disagree.

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
I finally managed to take my Street 750 down the road to the local farm community were they don't have street lights and also have long straight stretches of road to test the hi-beam on the headlight.

It is more that bright enough IMO for safe riding at night assuming someone's not an idiot and simpy wants to ride way too fast. Regardless of how bright a headlight is at night your ability to see potential threats such as wildlife along side the road is greatly reduced. Nothing is "better than daylight" and even in daylight we often ride faster than is really safe in places like forests or along fields were even a rabbit crossing the road represents a very serious threat in causing an accident.

So I'm satisfied that the headlight is better than I'd ever require for night riding on dark country roads or highways but "crazy" riders (IMO) might disagree.
Thats a good place to test it out in. thanks for the feedback @StoneFree

·
Registered
548 Posts
I actually prefer riding at night, because its much more cerebral I find it all the more tranquil. Full absorption.

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
I actually prefer riding at night, because its much more cerebral I find it all the more tranquil. Full absorption.
I prefer flying airplanes at night for that very same reason and with an airplane there are very few things you can run into in the sky.

·
Registered
59 Posts

You should take a picture from the riders point of view at night to show light spread on the road.

Looks great Rahul6! Anything else besides the screaming eagle?
Does anyone know how to remove the headlamp mounting ring from the stock light to re-install on the daymaker? I am stuck. I really don't want to pay my dealership $90 to finish installing my daymaker headlight. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Does anyone know how to remove the headlamp mounting ring from the stock light to re-install on the daymaker? I am stuck. I really don't want to pay my dealership $90 to finish installing my daymaker headlight. Any help would be appreciated.
There are two screws on either side of the headlamp ring at the bottom you just unscrew them and the headlamp ring should come off. Once the headlamp ring is off all you have to do is reach behind it and unplug the two plugs from the light bulbs.

The wires from the plug and/or sockets will have to be cut and then you go to the main screw underneath the headlamp and undo it and then you can pull the lamp off, the wires from the DayMaker can be connected up in reverse.

·
Registered
59 Posts
There are two screws on either side of the headlamp ring at the bottom you just unscrew them and the headlamp ring should come off. Once the headlamp ring is off all you have to do is reach behind it and unplug the two plugs from the light bulbs.

The wires from the plug and/or sockets will have to be cut and then you go to the main screw underneath the headlamp and undo it and then you can pull the lamp off, the wires from the DayMaker can be connected up in reverse.
Thanks for the help. I finally figured out how to remove the tension clips that were halting my progress.

·
Registered
64 Posts
How hard was it to remove the bracket for the fairing mount? I removed my fairing and was looking at different headlight options but it looks liek the mount bracket is buried on there..

·
Registered
367 Posts
How hard was it to remove the bracket for the fairing mount? I removed my fairing and was looking at different headlight options but it looks liek the mount bracket is buried on there..
Extremely simple. The bolt below the headlight is a 15mm. Remove it and pull the headlight out and the bottom bracket well slide right off the bolt. Before putting the light back in place, slide down both turn signals to expose the bolts that hold the upper mount to the upper triple clamp. I don't remember what size off hand, but remove the two bolts and it pulls right off. Pot your blinkers back in place and reinstall the headlight (you'll need to hold the headlight with your hand as you tighten without the bracket on) and you're done. Easy peasy.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Extremely simple. The bolt below the headlight is a 15mm. Remove it and pull the headlight out and the bottom bracket well slide right off the bolt. Before putting the light back in place, slide down both turn signals to expose the bolts that hold the upper mount to the upper triple clamp. I don't remember what size off hand, but remove the two bolts and it pulls right off. Pot your blinkers back in place and reinstall the headlight (you'll need to hold the headlight with your hand as you tighten without the bracket on) and you're done. Easy peasy.

Thank Ya... was starting to rain so didnt get to pull it off will give it a go tomorrow!
>:D

61 - 80 of 84 Posts