• Modular

Votes: 46 24.9%
  • None

Votes: 0 0.0%
21 - 40 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
ouch. I'm guessing the motorcycle is no more after that?

Glad to know you made it out ok
No! I had to straiten the clutch lever and stopped at a dealer in Cambridge, West Virginia for a new turn signal, then rode to my last checkpoint in Madawaska, Maine. The old Guzzis were built tuff. :D Me, I found an apartment for a week in Booth Bay Harbor, Maine and ate Lobster every day for that week :Dthen road it home.

After two days of my wife nagging at me when I got home I went to the doctor. They told me I had four scratched ribs.:(

·
Registered
12 Posts
I own both a full and an open face helmet.

Depending on where and how I am planning to ride I'll wear one or the other, but always wear the full face in cold weather.

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Always full faced always always! I hit a deer in 2005 on the Blue Ridge Parkway in Virginia.:eek: I would have no chin today if I wasn’t wearing my full-faced helmet.:D
Wow! In 2008 a mid sized grizzly 300-400lbs rough guess ran across just before Franklin road but no impact luckily. But I am sure my full face would have saved my noggin.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Wow! In 2008 a mid sized grizzly 300-400lbs rough guess ran across just before Franklin road but no impact luckily. But I am sure my full face would have saved my noggin.
I to all most hit a grizzly cub just outside of Hider, Alaska.:eek: The weirdest thing was a near miss of an Alligator when I was riding a cross Florida HWY 41 aka Alligator ally. If I was to hit that bad boy I’m sure it would only piss him off then he would surly come back and eat my A$$.;)

o~\o

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
I wear a 3/4 with a face shield because I wear glasses plus I hate getting hit in the face with bugs. I've swollowed more than one bug while riding without a face shield and it's not pleasant. Yuck!!!

I've also found the faceshield to be useful in the rain and I've ridden in the rain more often than I can remember. Doing as many road trips as possible provides a lot of reasons for the 3/4 with face shield.

One thing I've learned is to use ear plugs. It actually makes the ride smoother. When your ears are inside of a helmet there is a problem with buffeting air pressure changes and the ear drum and your head involuntarily reacts jerking it back and forth. With ear plugs it eliminates these pressure changes so your head doesn't bounce because of them so it's a "smoother" ride even though the actual motorcycle wasn't bouncing around at all. Just my head. I only use them on distance riding where it's a problem.

Reactions: Jayphog

·
Registered
261 Posts
I wear a 3/4 with a face shield because I wear glasses plus I hate getting hit in the face with bugs. I've swollowed more than one bug while riding without a face shield and it's not pleasant. Yuck!!!

I've also found the faceshield to be useful in the rain and I've ridden in the rain more often than I can remember. Doing as many road trips as possible provides a lot of reasons for the 3/4 with face shield.

One thing I've learned is to use ear plugs. It actually makes the ride smoother. When your ears are inside of a helmet there is a problem with buffeting air pressure changes and the ear drum and your head involuntarily reacts jerking it back and forth. With ear plugs it eliminates these pressure changes so your head doesn't bounce because of them so it's a "smoother" ride even though the actual motorcycle wasn't bouncing around at all. Just my head. I only use them on distance riding where it's a problem.
I have always worn a full face, but hated trying to jam sunglasses in a tight helmet. I hate a half helmet, because to me, it feels like a coffee cup saucer strapped to the top my head.
I never liked the martian looking 3/4 helmets, so last summer I bought a Bell Mag 9 3/4 helmet. it has vents like full face, and has a double shield. The outer shield is clear, and the inner shield shaded. No need for sunglasses, just flip the lever on the side to drop the shaded shield down. It also has a visor which helps when the sun is directly overhead.

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I to all most hit a grizzly cub just outside of Hider, Alaska.:eek: The weirdest thing was a near miss of an Alligator when I was riding a cross Florida HWY 41 aka Alligator ally. If I was to hit that bad boy I’m sure it would only piss him off then he would surly come back and eat my A$$.;)

o~\o
The porblem isn't over when after the impact with certain animals, for bears you really would have to get up and run before you try to figure out what just happened. Good point that you brought up with an aggitated bear that will come looking for ya when you are down. :eek:

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
Ever thought about getting contact lenses or even laser eye correction?
Thought about it but it doesn't solve the problems of eating bugs. Before I wore glasses I'd ride with an open face 3/4 helmet without a face shield and just sun glasses and more than once I "swollowed a bug" and that is just nasty. I've done so many rides through farmlands where my faceshield was just covered with splattered bugs that I'd hate to be without it. I remember hitting a large beetle (or something large and hard) where it smacked me right in the middle of my forehead and almost felt like it would knock me off the motorcycle. LOL

Of course there was the time when I was doing about 60-65 and a bee was doing about 10 both in the same direction. He became implanted in my throat when I hit him and, of course, his stinger was implanted into my neck. Not a pleasant experience and my 3/4 helmet won't prevent that from happening again. I just have to trust to luck on that one.

·
Registered
633 Posts
ouch

i've been hit by a bird before with a half. since then i try to wear full more. guts on your face was really not what i wanted that day.

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 · (Edited)
Thought about it but it doesn't solve the problems of eating bugs. Before I wore glasses I'd ride with an open face 3/4 helmet without a face shield and just sun glasses and more than once I "swollowed a bug" and that is just nasty. I've done so many rides through farmlands where my faceshield was just covered with splattered bugs that I'd hate to be without it. I remember hitting a large beetle (or something large and hard) where it smacked me right in the middle of my forehead and almost felt like it would knock me off the motorcycle. LOL

Of course there was the time when I was doing about 60-65 and a bee was doing about 10 both in the same direction. He became implanted in my throat when I hit him and, of course, his stinger was implanted into my neck. Not a pleasant experience and my 3/4 helmet won't prevent that from happening again. I just have to trust to luck on that one.

Honestly full faced helmets offer the most protection and not just from impact when falling of the two wheels but from the impact of bees and other flying things. I had a june bugs hit just above the visor and it sounded like it had cracked the helmet shell. If I had a half or anything less Im almost sure it would result in losing control and falling off.

The only one thing that is out in the open is your neck, looks like @StoneFree has some first hand experiences

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Honestly full faced helmets offer the most protection and not just from impact when falling of the two wheels but from the impact of bees and other flying things. I had a june bugs hit just above the visor and it sounded like it had cracked the helmet shell. If I had a half or anything less Im almost sure it would result in losing control and falling off.

The only one thing that is out in the open is your neck, looks like @StoneFreehas some first hand experiences
Many things to keep your head protected from. Better to be safe rather than sorry!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Mount a scrub brush upside down on the top, and all I can think of is the martian on the old Bugs Bunny cartoons I watched as a kid...

It looks very "retro". Bell makes good helmets, at a mid line price.

21 - 40 of 114 Posts