Votes: 45 24.7%
  • None

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
81 - 100 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Many years ago I hit a patch of ice on the highway on an Easter morning and crashed. The part of my helmet that got gouged by the road was from the forehead, through the visor, and down to the chin. If I had not been wearing a full face helmet my face definitely would have hit the road. I kind of like my face the way it is, so I always wear a full face helmet now. A friend of mine gave me a Nolan N100 modular helmet after that accident, and I did wear it for a while, but the SHOEI gives me much better padding in the jaw area. The Nolan just has plastic down there, and I think that if the Nolan hit the road hard, the jaw area would break or break off, and would not absorb the impact as well even if it didn't break.

I just bought a new SHOEI RF-1200 (matte black) full face helmet for my XG750. It is DOT and SNELL approved. My insurance company gives $500 additional medical coverage for wearing a DOT approved helmet. The RF-1200 also has the EQRS (Emergency Quick Release System) that allows you to pull the cheek pads out without taking the helmet off so you can get the helmet off more easily if you are injured. I also like the fact that this helmet comes with a breath guard and a defogger vent system that allows outside air to travel from the bottom to the top of the visor inside the helmet. It also comes with a Pinlock shield that I don't plan to use because it says not to use it at night, and it's kind of a pain to install, and what are you supposed to do with it if you have to take it off if it gets dark while you are out riding?

One thing about matte finish helmets is that they can get fingerprints on them easily, especially if your hands are sweaty or greasy. Also, matte black is not the most visible color out there, so keep that in mind.
You'll love this helmet!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I wear a full face helmet simpley to protect against bugs and rocks. I currently wear a Scorpion Exo. I want to get the Bell Bullitt. I like the retro look of it and how much larger the eye port is compared to the other retro style helmets.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I went with the LS2 Strobe Modular.....retails for $214.00 or something like that....bought 3 of them for $145.00 each at extreme supply.....bought my wife one for mother's day and bought one for myself and one for my daughter......

·
Registered
23 Posts
Full face here. I have tried to wear other helmets to beat the heat ... but every time I put on an half helm I I eat tar or bugs. NJ roads are **** and the bugs love the swamps in the summer. I've given up on any thing but a full face. I picked up a Bell Qualifier DLX and a Sena SMH10 and it gives me added incentive to keep it on. The helmet comes with a Transition visor so I don't need shades or extra visors and it works great for the glasses I use at night. The coms allow me to listen to music, GPA directions, or a fellow rider and smartphone apps make it all voice automated. The helmet also has a built in clamp area for the Sena SMH10 so you don't need to run a clip under the helmet itself. It vents well so unless I get stuck in traffic for long periods of time I'm usually good. It goes for $250 but I found some on EBay a little cheaper.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Modular

Hi All,

I have a Harley 3/4 and a Schuberth C3 Pro. Had to get the Harley as at the time I couldn't find the Schuberth in stock anywhere.

Holy cow - the Schuberth is so worth the money, its crazy light, the sunshade doesn't hit my glasses (unlike the Harley) and its so quiet.

The lack of wind noise is startling and you don't get anywhere near the buffeting over 70mph.

Expensive, but worth it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I wear a full face helmet, used to wear a half helmet. Based on what I see on the road I am in the minority. I am in Florida and down here guys on cruisers are often not wearing a helmet at all or are wearing a half helmet. I wore a half for a while but kept getting hit in the face by bugs, rocks, and other debris from cars. My helmet gets hit with something at least once a week, almost around the time I think maybe I will start using my half helmet again.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Typically I would see most guys riding Harleys wearing half helmets, but i am just trying to figure out if this is true with you guys on here.

• Full Face
  • Open face
  • Half
  • Modular
which ones do you guys wear and prefer?

I use to go half but after seeing some of the horrific photos I have gone with a full faced helmet and never gone back.
Half helmet for me... After certain life changing events and succumbing to my disabilities, my hearing aids/tinnitus will not allow for comfort or function in a full face or 3/4 modular helmet. I am obviously 1/3 deaf without them, so I can feel vibrations, but not always hear them... I don't want to be like that biker on youtube that got the **** kicked out of him by that cop because he couldn't hear anything in his full gear... Of course I would win a lawsuit like he did but not the point... And I have tested out, worn, and tried many helmets, probably more than most, and nevertheless, Open face helmets worked the best for me... I make sure I wear my Recon Ricky mask aka balaclava during the colder windy season... Never had a problem at all to adapt, improvise and overcome... Nut up or shut up, **** or get off the pot... >:D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone know of a more affordable alternative to the Bullitt? I like everything about it other than the price.

I have a full face now, and care much less for it than when I had a 3/4 with a visor. However, if I were to every get into an accident, I'd like to save my teeth.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Many years ago I hit a patch of ice on the highway on an Easter morning and crashed. The part of my helmet that got gouged by the road was from the forehead, through the visor, and down to the chin. If I had not been wearing a full face helmet my face definitely would have hit the road.
Your experience is, apparently, the majority. About 66% of helmet impacts are to the face, chin, and forehead area.

Two interesting links here. First, if you haven't seen this, you really should -- it's a very provocative helmet Icon released a few years ago, designed to get people to really understand what parts of a helmet get hit in an accident (or, the frequency of a particular part of a helmet being damaged in a crash). Like I said, it really brings home the importance of that chin bar!

Secondly, the UK government has implemented a testing protocol that rates helmets on a five-star scale as to their protection factors (as opposed to our standards in the US, which amounts to basically "is it DOT approved or not?" and "Is it Snell approved or not?") The helmets they tested are the European models, so they may not have particular American models in their database, but some are there and while it's not definitive, it's another interesting data point to consider when researching helmets.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Okay, here's reason number 9,883 why I think full-face is the only way to go...

Last night I washed the bugs off my helmet and cleaned my visor so it was spotless. Then I went for a two-hour ride today. In south Texas, the bugs are out in force. Here's what they did to my helmet in just one ride:

Can you imagine what it would have been like with just an open-face helmet and sunglasses?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Like everything else, the style of the helmet is a matter of personal preference. Bottom line is just to wear one. I would not be able to write this if I did not have one on 40 years ago. It always amazes me when I see riders on the interstate going at least 70 mph without their helmet on. I guess they must be tougher than me, or just plain stupid.

·
Registered
323 Posts
A tale of two lids...

My good helmet is an HJC CL-Max II. My not so good helmet is a cheap Raider open face helmet with a face shield installed. There is a story for each.

The Raider was purchased last fall at the local farm supply store. I had actually purchased one for full price, $38, and the next day I went back to the store and found this one on close out for $19. It's got the DOT dot, so I figured it would be useable if and when I needed to take test rides or get a bike home from the dealer. At that point getting a bike was kind of a distant "maybe".

As the old Bell ads said, "If you've got a $10 head get a $10 helmet", so after buying the bike I started shopping for serious gear. I wanted the protection of a full face helmet, as being a new biker I figured an accident was inevitable. A co-worker has an HJC IS-Max II, and I really liked the modular helmets for being easy to get on and off. The IS-Max was just a tad beyond my price range since I was shopping for all the needed gear and bike accessories at the same time. I decided I could do without the internal sun shade, although I'm probably going to spring for it on the next helmet.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Started riding motorcycles in my teens with a 3/4 helmet and bubble visor and JOFA face-mask since I rode dual purpose bikes & raced Honda CRs for motocross.I soon went to full face and still ride with one from KBC even tho it's over 10 years old I've kept great care of it when I bought a Harley-Davidson (2016/2017) I bought one of the modular helmets which was great until the molding on the front would come out every time you pushed the release button so the helmet went in for warranty work which couldn't be fixed. I ride now with either my KBC or Torx T-55 looking to get a new full face helmet soon to replace my KBC.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I recommend the Bell Bullitt. I bought it last year when I got my street, it's held up perfectly. Looks brand new. I have the clear visor and the mirror finish which is tinted. They swap out veriy easily without tools, you can usea quarter to unlock the visor screws and pop em out in 5 minutes. Also, if you're someone with a big melon, it may be worth a look. It's very comfortable for me, I had to get the largest size which limits the selection sometimes, but I cant be happier.

Full face or nothing.

Cheers

·
Registered
22 Posts
I wear a modular helmet or a full face helmet, depends on what type of riding I'm doing. IMO, wearing ATGATT is best for protecting yourself, but when you ride in suffocating heat/humidity, you tend to get less protective for comfort sake. I may sacrifice safety on my torso and arms for comfort, but NEVER my legs or head.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I own both a full and an open face helmet.

Depending on where and how I am planning to ride I'll wear one or the other, but always wear the full face in cold weather.
But in my area (Alabama) all of the insects are out in the warmer weather. I guess you've never had a bee in your helmet or gotten shot in the face with Junebugs. I prefer to keep my head, face and eyes safe all the time.

81 - 100 of 113 Posts