Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a solution to these mirrors that give me no visibility. Any suggestions with photos???

·
Registered
309 Posts
@Daddy,

Yes the stock mirrors really suck. I solved the problem with HD "LONG STEM BLACK" mirrors.

Part(s) # 91910-03B & 91909-03B

They look like the stock ones but they WORK! They bolt right on and only cost about $35.00 each. Sorry-no pictures but in this case they are not needed.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
big guy mirrors

Yes, the long stem mirrors helped. I am a large guy, 6 foot, 250 pounds with a barrel chest. With stock mirrors and highboy seat, I was looking at my elbow pits. With long stem mirrors I could see my biceps and shoulders.
When I added the Black Mirror extenders. part 56000042 $54.95 AND the long stem mirrors, I could finally see around my shoulders and see the lane behind me. With either the long stem or mirror extenders I could see behind me in one lane over, which is really what you absolutely need to see for lane changing. But it is comforting to be able to see in the lane behind. So right now I have the long stem mirrors AND the mirror extenders.
I am looking forward (no pun intended) to see what reduced reach handlebars will do for me. I expect to remove the mirror extenders and just go with the long stem mirrors. Some people have complained that the long stem mirrors vibrate too much, but hey, its a motorcycle. I don't need to read the license plate of the car in the lane behind me, just to know that it is there. Might try the stock mirrors with the mirror extenders, which are certainly more stable, but my index fingers tend to bump into them.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Bar end mirror on the left. It gives a great view out the back.
I've considered bar end mirrors. I think they look nice but since I lane split quite a bit on my rides to and from work, I feel like they'd hinder that by making the bike wider.

I was thinking of something like this. I'm wondering if I could just loosen and turn my current mirrors down?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How is the visibility with the upside down mirror position? It seems they'd be too low or restricting?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I thought about the underside mirrors. Unfortunately the mirror brackets are fixed ( right one is attached to clutch lever I believe). Also, on our bikes, you may hit the tank with the mirror when turning...

·
Registered
159 Posts
I haven't tried upside down mirrors. I had to take the bike to the dealer today so I'll see what can be done to swing them upside down when I get it back.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I thought about the underside mirrors. Unfortunately the mirror brackets are fixed ( right one is attached to clutch lever I believe). Also, on our bikes, you may hit the tank with the mirror when turning...
That's a really good point! Thank you

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
@Daddy,

Yes the stock mirrors really suck. I solved the problem with HD "LONG STEM BLACK" mirrors.

They look like the stock ones but they WORK! They bolt right on and only cost about $35.00 each. Sorry-no pictures but in this case they are not needed.

I fitted these too, vision is not perfect but it is much better than than the standard mirrors.

You can also get them in chrome. Part numbers 91846-03B (RH) & 91848-03B (LH)

·
Registered
159 Posts
I never considered hitting the tank. That's a very good point.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Fellow riders, I will also add that I ALWAYS turn and look behind me before changing lanes, and don't rely on the mirrors alone.
I was told by a friend that it's a bad habit to look back like that while riding. Has anyone else ever heard that? Even in a car I don't rely on mirrors but figured with bikes you have to?

·
Registered
58 Posts
@Daddy,

I put these on mine yesterday. Work great!

1 - 20 of 106 Posts