Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know approximately how many Streets there are out there riding the highways and city streets here in the States?
I have yet to see one besides my own, here in Florida.
From the Facebook groups it appears the vast majority of Street owners are either in India or some other country besides the USA.
While that's good news that it sells over there, I just wonder if it's flopping here in the States.
I love mine. Would sure like to see another out on the road.
Anyone have a clue about sales figures?
Thx
Em
FL, USA

·
Registered
487 Posts
Don't feel left out Emzdogz, I have only ever seen one (twice) in my city when the dealer says they have sold twelve (but not all in our city). The one I see is usually parked in the mix when I have been to a HOG meeting. This local dealer serves an area a little over 36,000 square miles, about the size of Portugal, so finding the sold Street bikes is like looking for a needle in a haystack.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
You need to give it some time. Its Winter in some parts of the country. Not much Riding going on. They've only been out for a year. I've personally ridden with one other on Nov 1. Toys For Tots run in Philadelphia. Went with the Bucks County HOG. I live in NJ. Where I live there isn't a chapter. So I just "Tag along" when I can. I would wait until the Spring. My dealer sold every(Stock) 750 he had. He only has a 15 750 that was Custom Built. And with a price tag of about $16k. Its going to be awhile to sell.

·
Registered
309 Posts
My dealership seems to have a [glut] of larger bore bikes and there is thus a big effort to move [them]. Consequently the STREETS take somewhat of a "back seat" in their marketing efforts. Per this site I'm aware of a few STREETS in the Denver area but I've yet to see another one, out-and-about. Those who have seen mine, however, have expressed an interest and were completely unaware that this model existed. As Tucsonmax1 suggests "give it some time". In my opinion the STREETS are quite a good "bang-for-the-buck" especially since some of the problems with the 2015 models have been corrected in the 2016 offering.

·
Registered
155 Posts
The Street XG500/750 looks a lot like Harley's XLCR 1000 from 1977-79.
I think one other is in my area was a red bike with a windshield saw it at a gas station as I went by not totally sure didn't get a good look at it.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I've only seen 1 other for sure on the road, and possibly a 2nd, but we passed each other in opposite directions on the highway.

This bike does turn heads though, and causes quite a gathering when parked. I even get comments when I'm stopped at a traffic light!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Once again the last event I was at (Lyme disease Aid bike run) the Harley dealer, there was only one Street 750 and that guy ( he’s on this forum too) was working at the outing not riding with the others. There had to be 250 bikes at that event but not one Street was in the bunch.

It seems like the Iron 883 Harley-Davidson is a better sell than the street and dealers know it.

I just read on Flipboard that sales in India for the Street 750 have slowed down even though it's more affordable, it has had no new updates to the bike. The SuperLow and the Fat Boy have been discontinued in India because of low sales.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have never seen another....... went to a Harley Hog ride and the other folks acted like they weren't even going to acknowledge that it said Harley on it..... Won't go to another, no reason................

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My dealership seems to have a [glut] of larger bore bikes and there is thus a big effort to move [them]. Consequently the STREETS take somewhat of a "back seat" in their marketing efforts. Per this site I'm aware of a few STREETS in the Denver area but I've yet to see another one, out-and-about. Those who have seen mine, however, have expressed an interest and were completely unaware that this model existed. As Tucsonmax1 suggests "give it some time". In my opinion the STREETS are quite a good "bang-for-the-buck" especially since some of the problems with the 2015 models have been corrected in the 2016 offering.
I'm hoping this is the situation, that it will simply take a couple of years to catch on. Re: the glut of larger bikes; yep that's what I see here too, for the most part, unless you count the 883 Sportsters. Baggers are very much in style around here.
Harley still = BIG to lots of folks, and lots of folks like "big", it makes them feel "big" or hey, maybe they are just incredibly lanky! lol!

Another thing is that as Harley has had great success with getting women started riding, I think there is also subtle pressure to ride a "big girl" bike. Like a rite of passage. Not a Sportster (or XG, if they even know of the XG), but a big twin of some kind.

The other thing is it takes guts for real young guys to choose something "smaller" (than a big HD) or less powerful (than, say a 4 cyl Asian sportbike) - so I think that target demographic that Harley had hoped to snag is hesitant for ego reasons.
I thought it was pretty cool when I finally started seeing lots of young guys on Sporties even, in the years following the Nightster.

Plus one thing bothers me about Revzilla's reviews, which I've otherwise liked quite a lot - both the video and the article. He refers to the Street as a "mule".
You know, I'm not quite sure that I like that or agree with it.

I wouldn't choose a new mule bike. If I wanted a mule motorcycle, I'd buy an old beater. Mule to me = utilitarian. The Streets are utilitarian, but to me they also have some panache, and I feel like that's not being picked up on. People say it's more fun than they expected, or the power surprised them, but no one seems to be dying to own one. hmmmm....

I wanted to own mine the first time I sat on it, used, at a non Harley dealer shop. Just because the fit is so perfect.

I guess I don't care that much if I don't see them all over the place, I'm pretty old, and not very sociable anyway, lol, so it's not like I need to make a splash at bike nights, but what I don't want is for the Streets to become extinct. (and parts get hard to obtain)

Anyway, thanks as always, to all who responded, for the conversation.

·
Registered
4 Posts
emz, you've made several valid points. My opinion is that if the 500/750's haven't taken off in the USA by now, they prolly won't....and I really hoped that they would. I say this because the scout has been out and taken off, and they are a new bike. HD made a half hearted attempt to make a decent Sporty (XR), but sales here were minimal, sold better over sea's I believe...discontinued here. I also believe very much what you say about the "ego" thing. Guys are constantly being put down "all in fun" by the big bike crowd for riding a"piglet" , baby Harley, wannabe Harley and whatever other remarks that come about. Sales folks immediately begin with the "when your ready to move up....", really, move up? I have owned every Harley but a soft tail. I've had several Sporty's and currently have two. I just don't have the need for the bigger bikes. My wife rides her own (05 Deluxe). I truly hope the 500/750's succeed and become a dependable bike with a great after market following. Sorry to be long winded. Like you, I'd hate for a good bike to be discontinued because of sales.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Great to see so many Floridians on this thread. I haven't seen any others, either. I don't get the cold-shoulder. Luckily, I get a lot of stares and questions. Only time will tell, though. Hope to see some of you out there on the road.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I've seen only one other in SOCAL......but I've only been casually looking for a month now since the wife got hers...

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have not seen another 750 on the road, or out and about, but I am constantly getting questions about it. People stop me all the time and say "Man What is That?" I also get a ton of compliments, and many questions about how do you like the ride, and many assertions that people would like a quick nimble thing to ride around. Everyone loves the blacked out exhaust and are surprised by the loose cannon sound. It has been my experience that people have supported the bike. However the dealer knows very little about the street (which has been a disappointment), and I find the most knowledgeable people to be on this site.

When they tried to sell me on "Upgrading" to an 883 by giving me 100% what I paid for the street for a New 2015 Sportster (all the 2016's were out) I test drove it. I told them how I liked the weight of the bike, but that the street was quicker, and handled better overall. They seemed shocked that I would like the street over the 883. For me, I would not own an 883 after that test drive over my street, however I would go for the 48 or the Softail Slim S like Hellbilly.

I just like the style of the 48. As for the Mule comment, I love that aspect. The Street can be a commuter, a quick city bar hop, or just a Sunday rider. I will take a bike that can do everything over a bagger any day, but that is just my taste. I want to support anyone who rides!

Most people don't even know about the street, and when they find out are very curious. I also kind love that it is unique so far!

·
Registered
491 Posts
I have seen a couple here in SE Wisconsin now. When I was in West Bend last weekend. A couple of teenagers who were in the skate board park across the street for the Toucan Food and Creamery, happened by an asked me about my Street 750. I told the youngsters that I liked my 750. Even allowed a couple of them to sit on the bike. Gotta get their curiosity up. I told them if they took the Driver Safety Course from Harley Davidson, they could experience the ride of a street without having to purchase one. Doing my best to keep those interested.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have seen a few around the greater twin cities area here in MN. the dealer by me in Lakeville MN usually only has one in stock at a time, or at least one on the show floor. I headed up to St. Paul Harley a few weeks ago and they had a lot of streets... All tucked back in the corner at the very end of the showroom floor.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It's unfortunate to hear that some of you have experienced negativity concerning your XGs. Luckily my local Harley dealer (Laconia NH) has been nothing but awesome about it. I spent almost an hour talking with the service writer about how much fun it is. Hopefully come bike week I will see a few out and about.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
238 Posts
I think I helped sell one yesterday.....was at the dealer while Mel was signing up for her HOG miles to get her patches....sales guy was showing some bikes to a new rider.....I chimed in about the Street.....I think I was helpful in him making a decision......

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have never seen another....... went to a Harley Hog ride and the other folks acted like they weren't even going to acknowledge that it said Harley on it..... Won't go to another, no reason................
I had a similar issue when buying mine. I was doing the 'In house' poker run and when they asked what bike I bought I told them and the tone quickly changed. I love my bike, I have only put around 50 miles in but it's enjoyable. Puts a smile on my face and it's great for me as a new rider. I guess i'll end up missing out on those HOG Meetings. haha Hopefully Sturgis isn't like that. ;)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts