Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious, I've had my bike since Jan 2016 and haven't even hit my first 1000 miles yet. How little is too little riding. When I can't ride her I'll at least start her up and run her for a few minutes to keep the oil moving and for keeping the battery up, that seems to work in allowing me to start her on the first or second crank when I do start her. Normally I try to ride her at least once or twice a week for about 20 something miles each ride. As mentioned, when I can't take her out, I'll at least start her up and run her for 2 to 3 minutes. I recently read in another forum that running her at idle as substitute for actually riding her may do more harm than good as it is not enough for the the charging system to do it's job but so far she starts right up with no problems. Haven't got around to getting at tender. I've also read that the best battery charger is a good ride but as mentioned I can't always ride her. Anyway, just checking. Thanks

·
Registered
101 Posts
I bought mine in June 2016 and have about 600 miles. A battery tender is a must. I do mainly short rides, about 30-40 mins around town (~25 to 40mph). So it doesnt stretch its legs much. I found that a tender is absolutely necessary since I ride only a tiny bit and on the weekend.

Starting it and running it for a few minutes will not be enough to charge the battery, and the engine will not even get warm.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks nollid51. Hey do you have a connector for your tender, battery removal is a real pain on these Streets. Although I did see a Youtube video where this guy hooked up the charger to positive post and the some ground on the frame to charge the battery.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I can't speak for other model years, but my 2016 came with a battery tender lead already installed.

If the engine isn't getting up to temperature on your short trips it won't evaporate condensate from the oil system, thus small amounts of water will accumulate in the oil system. If the exhaust system doesn't warm up you can have condensation in that system which can lead to premature rusting.

·
Registered
51 Posts
My 2015 XG 750 came with the lead attached already also.

·
Registered
335 Posts
My 2015 also had a lead already attached. I don't think they come from the factory that way, but I think most Harley dealers install them as a matter of course, so -- check first. Mine was attached by the left passenger peg.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Mine also had a battery tender cable attached, sort of. My dealer evidently only attached the positive lead of the connector to the battery. Left the negative lead just hanging. Took me about 45 minutes to crack open the bike to hook up that one connector. Grrr...

·
Registered
101 Posts
On a related note, I got a solar battery tender off amazon. I believe the largest one. It works great. I store my bike in a shed for the winter where there is no power, if youre in a similar boat I'd take a look.

Cheers,
-Joe

·
Registered
311 Posts
What about tires?

Something that I'm wondering about isn't an immediate issue, but the condition of the tires in a few years on a vehicle that doesn't go a lot of miles. Take for example the fatal accident of actor Paul Walker. He was driving a Carrera GT with only 3,500 miles on the odometer, but with 9 year old tires with great tread. They just didn't hold up at a critical moment.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't think there is such a thing as to little or to much riding. Ride when you can so you enjoy each mile. I do suggest you get yourself a battery tender to safe your battery. Idling and short rides really don't recharge the battery.

·
Registered
75 Posts
yeah there might be a thing as too little riding i got 756 miles on my 2015 500 and let it run at idle and a little above for 10 minutes at a time in the livin room { got no garage} and at 572 miles , on another 20 mile ride, i got poppin and missin like its runnin on one cylinder but tryin to fire on both and im thinkin oh shi7 what ..... this is brand new wtf so, back to the dealer turns out its two bad plugs fouled bad they didnt say why , replaced the plugs an its fine all i can surmise from this is puddy cat ethanol gas but i only run sunoco or shell 93 or too much idling im just tryin to break the babe in easy i dont want another bent rear exhaust valve at 2000 miles like on the 82 flh or a fried rear piston on the 37 ulh after a fresh rebuild heh younger days duh but i got the pigtail battery connector on the left side right in front of the rear shock keep the battery tender on at least once a week and keep an eye on the tires got a good dial guage for pressure and watch the tread too many dumb fuggers are droppin all kinds of crap in the road it aint like ta got a spare like a cage

·
Registered
451 Posts
You ride what you ride. Get a battery tender , don't need an expensive one. If bike is going to sit keep tiers out of the sun. Check air once in a while. Starting it just to move oil around is a bad idea.
Find reasons to ride. Just quick run to the store maybe to work once in a while .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts