Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

How much mechanical work do you do on your bike?

• All

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • All but tires

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Regular maintenance and some repairs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Regular maintenance only

• Only the simplest things, check air, etc

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Take to shop for all.

• Total voters
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much mechanical work do you do on your bike? Do you take your bike to the shop for all maintenance and repair? Do you do some? How many do all. Is your answer based on knowledge of repair, time to do it, don't want to or other.

·
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'll start. For years I did 100% of all repairs, and I mean all. But the last few tire changes I've taken my wheels off and taken them to shop to swap the tires. Guess I've gotten lazy in my old age and changing tires is one job I really don't like. In my younger years I did all repair work due to lack of cash flow. At times I would have to beg and borrow knowledge, tools, etc, but always got it done. The more I learned, the more I realize I actually really like working on my bikes. Today with the internet you can fix just about anything with basic mechanical knowledge, years ago it wasn't so easy to find repair info.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Everything except tyres for the past 40+ years. If I did not know how to do it I got a book from the library - these days it's easier with the internet. Anyone who pays garage bills should consider why they do so when most things are as aesy as turning a few bolts and screws ;)

·
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The internet with youtube has definitely made finding the info to complete the repair yourself much easier. Some people get too wrapped up wanting to find a repair done on their bike. Normally the process is similar on all bikes and with your bikes repair manual anything can easily be done. Sometimes the hardest part is to diagnose what is actually wrong. In the back of repair manuals is a diagnosis chart that helps with that.

·
Super Moderator
404 Posts
I bought my xg750 on a deal that includes free tires for life so long as I have the scheduled maintenance done at that dealership. I've done most of the bolt on modifications myself. There are one or two small tasks I have thrown their way, much to my financial distress.

I decided to do as much work on the Sportster myself as there was no such restriction. Almost immediately after that I moved into a different apartment with no suitable place to do my own work. Maybe next season I'll do more of my own wrenching on the Sportster.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts