Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boosted with battery pack . Disconnect and engine stalls. Wondering if Leaving the battery pack on will charge the battery? Taking the battery pack off makes the circuit incomplete? So this is why the engine is stalling. ?
I’d rather not have to carry around a charger a booster pack or anything of the sort .
Seeing as the battery is crammed right in there change the battery would suck but as an alternative to putting extra wires on it to boost it every time seems like the only solution?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I’d rather not have to carry around a charger a booster pack or anything of the sort .
Good news, you don't have to. Clean the battery terminal ends and reconnect to the battery after it's been on a battery tender or similar charger overnight and try again. If it's still not starting the old battery is junk. Replace with a new one and you'll have it running again. Use a battery tender on it when it's parked and you'll get a lot of years out of the new battery this time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Boosted with battery pack . Disconnect and engine stalls. Wondering if Leaving the battery pack on will charge the battery? Taking the battery pack off makes the circuit incomplete? So this is why the engine is stalling. ?
Seeing as the battery is crammed right in there change the battery would suck but as an alternative to putting extra wires on it to boost it every time seems like the only solution?
'Thought I'd add that when I changed (R&R) the battery upon old age failure I extended the length of the ground cable.
By adding (I forget how many inches of) length it increases the ease of battery removal for me. I bought my '15 750 used
and it came with the Battery Tender hard-wired pigtail already on it. Was this standard factory issue or aftermarket? Clearly
with the hard-wired pigtail hookup mounted to the exterior of the bike, utilizing the Battery Tender to your advantage is a no-brainer.
Hope you find a cure for you prob.

·
Registered
589 Posts
In July 2020 I had to replace my battery. Just remember to ensure that the CA (cranking amperage) is the same or similar value when selecting a replacement battery. I was told that H-D bikes have a higher CA than say Japanese bikes that use a standard 12v battery. My bike came with the battery tender hard-wired pigtail already installed from new.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Harley-Davidson Street 750 in Sunglo Velocity Red
590 Posts
If that is the original battery in a 2015 motorcycle it is six or seven years old and may simply need to be replaced. Old batteries will often not take a charge or lose their charge very quickly in cold weather. Any tire and battery shop and most parts stores should be able to test your battery to identify problems. You may want to pull it out of the bike and carry it in to do that.

One hint that I saw for changing the battery on these bikes was to tie a string to the battery lead that goes through the hole on the left side of bike as soon as it is disconnected. That way you can easily pull the lead back through once you have pulled the battery out the right side to change it.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Excellent tip PugslyCat, I used it thank goodness when changing out my old battery.

·
Registered
101 Posts
PugslyCat could you elaborate more on the battery string tip? I am gonna change my battery soon. I am watching/reading everything that I can on the topic.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
590 Posts
I was going to change the battery on my 2016 bike this spring, but not yet having done that I have only seen a video on this. The battery gets pulled out the right side of the bike. You can get it out far enough to remove the positive cable, but the negative battery terminal is way over on the left side of the bike where you can't get to it.

The solution is to not remove the cable from the negative terminal of the battery, but leave it attached to the battery and unbolt the other end of the cable from the grounding point on the left side of the frame. Then you pull the battery and the negative battery cable out the right side of the bike. Move the negative cable to the new battery, partially insert the battery from the right side of the bike, attach the positive cable to the battery and fish the negative lead through a hole to reach the grounding point where it is reattached.

The problem is the battery itself is in they way when you are trying to push that negative battery lead out of the hole in the battery compartment. The tip is to attach a string to the end of the negative cable when you first unbolt it. Pull the string through the hole into the battery compartment and out the right side as you remove the battery with the lead attached. When replace the battery pull on the string to drag the lead back through the hole on the left side of the bike.

·
Registered
2008 Road King Classic
1 Posts
PugslyCat could you elaborate more on the battery string tip? I am gonna change my battery soon. I am watching/reading everything that I can on the topic.

Thanks!
On you tube find low country Harley Davidson and their mechanic called Doc Harley. He has a lot of good videos and one specifically about hanging a battery in Street 500.. His videos are a great resource.
enjoy.

·
Super Moderator
590 Posts
Here's a link to the Low Country Harley-Davidson link. These are always incredibly well produced, straight forward videos:
DOC HARLEY: HARLEY STREET 500 BATTERY REMOVAL TIPS

At the other end of the spectrum, we have the Ariel GB YouTube channel. It's basically two blokes that bought a couple of Street 750's and and a camera. They proceeded to make videos of two bumbling guys in a shed applying almost every Harley-Davidson produced accessory and performing all standard maintenance procedures. Their videos can be painful to watch, but if nobody else seems to have a video on how to do something to your Street 500/750, they will have one.
H D XG 750 Street #107 Battery 01 (Removal - preparation)
H-D XG 750 Street #108 Battery 02 (Removal)

A couple more video links:
How To Remove Battery From Harley Street 750 | Easy Explanation | Street 750 Battery Removal Process
How to remove battery Harley Davidson Street rod 750
Harley Davidson Street 750 - Battery Removal. Best Step by Step Tutorial
Harley Davidson street 750 battery remove
Harley Davidson Street 500, XG500, Battery removal replacement

1 - 10 of 10 Posts