Harley Davidson Street Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone move the ignition key and location yet?

What kit did you use where did you put it?

I want to move the ignition location away from the neck and tank..

If you have more then two keys when driving you end up scratch your tank and want to move the key location.

·
Registered
367 Posts
My rubber hd key chain has ruined the paint by the neck. I'll be relocating mine soon, I'll let you know what I come up with, but honestly, I think I'll just be copy cating the free spirits design. I like the location and it's a simple bracket I can make with sheet metal I have handy.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Has anyone move the ignition key and location yet?

What kit did you use where did you put it?

I want to move the ignition location away from the neck and tank..

If you have more then two keys when driving you end up scratch your tank and want to move the key location.
I did and I used the Free Spirits relocation kit. It's now mounted on the left side of the bike beside the radiator. I only have one key on the bike but a couple wouldn't do damage being relocated.

·
Registered
766 Posts
personally I like the ignition location on my bike.

I use a a key ring that easily unhooks (separates) form the rest of my keys, so only one key and it's small ring is on the bike.

my m109r had the ignition below my left leg, my vtx1300 was on the left side near the center of the motor.

on hot days the keys would actually get hot and when I stopped to go inside a store, the key would be hot when I put it in my pocket. I didn't like that at all.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I love the look, just won't fit with the direction I'm taking mine. I removed mine last night then realized I don't have my sheet metal shears at the house. Currently looks like I stole the bike. Haha
HAHA... ghetto!

·
Registered
41 Posts
How did you remove the two hex screws holding the ignition to the triple tree? I have the front end of my bike torn up and cant get to one of the two screws! Any tips? Got to get to work in the morning haha and it would really hurt my pride to have to put this back together without getting it done.

EDIT:

Here is a link to the information I have been searching for! Should have gone to the Free Spirits site first. They have a great step by step tutorial.

http://www.freespirits.it/istruzioni/209020ing.pdf

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
I'm actively following this thread as this mod is on my install list hahah.

Oh Sean, I'm in MIA. Love the weather - HATE all the terrible drivers lol

A detailed instruction listing would help a lot of folks on here (myself included) if anyone is willing to write it up that's done it that would be very helpful, and welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Best,

USVet

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
When you have to get to work you make due. Haha I finished her up after work. I'll end up painting it black once I decide for certain this is where I want to keep it.
How much cable was available for use? I ask because in this pic with it included in the grouping its in the fit side position, but when completed you have it on the left side.

Did you just route it through the bike or under the tank (maybe neither lol)?

Thanks

Best,

USVet

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
I'm probably going to remove the requirement for a key completely on my chopper project. Just a master on/off switch (probably hidden under the seat), a starter button (not sure where I'll put that) and possibly a kill switch (I've only had to "kill" the engine once in over 40 years but it was a good feature to have when I needed it). Not sure about the other wiring like lights, turn signals (if I use them) and horn. I'll figure all of that out in the future once the basic build is nearing completion. Wiring is about the last thing I need to consider now because I'll rewire almost everything from scratch.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I did and I used the Free Spirits relocation kit. It's now mounted on the left side of the bike beside the radiator. I only have one key on the bike but a couple wouldn't do damage being relocated.
What did you do to remove the two hex bolts holding the ignition to the triple tree? I know you had replaced your triple tree with one from Free Spirits... Did you remove the ignition at that time?

·
Registered
41 Posts
With moving the ignition switch, what do you guys do with the steering lock?
Do you remove the bolt ?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I left the steering lock bolt in place. I did not affect anything in its new location. I had it removed and I think it stops the key in the tumbler as to not over turn the key... I could be wrong but it seemed to work better for me when it was in place. You can easily take it out, it's just two screws, and play around with it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts