Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now we are with State Farm and the 500 has been ridiculously high. They were charging me $150 a month! There has to be something better. Help a brother out!

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Right now we are with State Farm and the 500 has been ridiculously high. They were charging me $150 a month! There has to be something better. Help a brother out!
Wow that is very expensive, is it your age that make it that expensive? I am with Geico and they are not bad but then I am old as dirt.

LaVerne

·
Registered
219 Posts
One thing you might want to try for now is to check with smaller insurance companies until you get a direct connection.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm currently 26 with no recent accidents or tickets. When I asked why it was so high, they said they didn't know why and perhaps it was because it's so new. I then proceeded to tell them that the low MSRP and cc's does not correlate to such a high premium. I'll start shopping around for some better prices, I just need some guidance on where everyone else is getting their rates from and how they compare.

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
Not bad at all, an insurance rate like that yearly is a super easy cost to absorb

I did check out prices with my regular insurance agent (I have AmFam for everything else) and AmFam was about twice the cost of the Progressive Insurance rates I got through Harley Davidson Insurance. I believe that Harley uses it's "market share" to negotiate the lowest insurance prices for it's customers.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I did check out prices with my regular insurance agent (I have AmFam for everything else) and AmFam was about twice the cost of the Progressive Insurance rates I got through Harley Davidson Insurance. I believe that Harley uses it's "market share" to negotiate the lowest insurance prices for it's customers.
That would be believable, not sure of what else they would do to lower insurance prices.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What are you paying per month? I don't like switching companies but maybe I just need to shop around...

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
What are you paying per month? I don't like switching companies but maybe I just need to shop around...

In many, many years of riding I've never had motorcycle insurance that I could pay for monthly. It's always been an annual premium because the cost has never exceeded $300/yr ever. As I mentioned I believe my current policy is about $250/yr and I pay it all at once as an annual premium (which is why I don't recall exactly what it is because I renewed it last February - LOL). Perhaps they offer monthly premiums and I just never asked about it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Finally switched over to progressive and it was just over $400 for the year. Still semi expensive but at least its cheaper then all-state.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Finally switched over to progressive and it was just over $400 for the year. Still semi expensive but at least its cheaper then all-state.
That does sound expensive...I was quoted 250/year in Washington State from Progressive, but I could have got even less if I reduced some coverage.

Does your state require you to have insurance on a motorcycle? I wonder if that factors into the cost?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Part of the higher cost is the fact that I live next to the border of Mexico, so I almost have to pay for underinsured motorist coverage. Otherwise it would of probably been in the 250-300 range. It's still a lot better then the 600 for 6 months that State Farm was going to charge! What a rip off...

·
Registered
491 Posts
Harley-Davidson offers insurance through Progressive and if I recall correctly the cost is about $250/yr. Go to the H-D website and get a quote.

Motorcycle Insurance | Harley-Davidson USA
I'm with Progressive and my 750 was $329 dollars and I'm 55 years old. That was in addition to my $169 I paid for my Savage. That is almost as much as my Auto Insurance. I had to pay for gap insurance on the no money down loan. No complaints yet.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Wow I may need to check with progressive. My is with farmers who goes through Foremost for the cycle insurance I pay 43 per month. I'm 60 years old.

Which is 516 per year.

I have full coverage/ under-insured/ un-insured and because it is under my umbrella policy I have to carry a high personal liability.

Think I will talk to progressive through HD.

·
Registered
1 Posts
State Farm for my XG750

I've been with State Farm since I was 16 -- I am now 45.
I insure EVERYTHING through them...

100/300/100 Limits
$100/$500 Deductible

$211.87 / year or $17.66 per month

I live in Nowhere, Oregon...

·
Registered
491 Posts
Not so sure about Progressive Insurance :(
__________________________________________________________________________________

I just received my renewal from Progressive and I have two motorcycles I have coverage for; a 2004 Suzuki LS650 (Minimum coverage) and My Street 750. My yearly coverage if I pay it in full is $612.00 and if I choose to make a three payment option it is $735.00. I'm 55 years old and I have completed a Safety riders course that is suppose to give me a discount. Also I can only operate my motorcycle 6 months out of the year due to weather do to freezing temps and snow. I don't pay this much a year for my two (old) 02 and 04 Ford Escapes I own with one only with minimum coverage a year in two payments totaling $644.00. I have a clean driving record and no claims filed. Its time to have a conversation with my Insurance agent.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
State Farm rate is low enough for me.

I am also 55+ and my premium in the Denver Metro area is $238.32 for a year added to an account with 3 vehicles on it. ($19.86 per month).
Oh, and yep, that's with State Farm.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts