Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
That is a lot of money! I am in California on the border of Tijuana and the annual cost for my Street 500 is $400 a month with Progressive. Peace of mind doesn't help my pocket book.

·
Registered
46 Posts
That is a lot of money! I am in California on the border of Tijuana and the annual cost for my Street 500 is $400 a month with Progressive. Peace of mind doesn't help my pocket book.
Your location is one of the things jacking your rate. Lots of machines (Bikes, cars, trucks) find their way across the border, never to be seen again.

I'm in NorCal and SF quoted me $410 every 6 months (that's $68/month) which I still thought was high, so I got a quote from Allstate. they dropped it to $268/6months ($47/month). That's full coverage with 100/300/50 .

·
Registered
1,240 Posts

Don't forget the Class and Size of the Engine. A 500 would be cheaper. Now I am told that when I get the Renewal, My 15 will be listed as a P2. Older model. And my rate should go down. Renewal is in August. Cant get the exact rate now.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Of course some states have regulations that require insurance to be higher . But in general your rates regardless of the name on the company come down to a few things.
ZIP CODE at any given time the rates for the same company will vary a lot depending on zip code and that will flip around from time to time.
Your Age, your driving history, Type and size of bike. I insure 3 bikes for a year for less than many do one. Size and type of bike have little effect in my case.
Your credit score plays a roll. Like it or not it does.
Many insurance companies or at least those that handle your policy do not really sell motorcycle insurance. They sell it to you through another provider. Example Harley , it is really progressive at this time subject to change.
If you are a good insurance risk, meaning you are clean all a round . Shop around yearly for the better deal. If you don't you will experience the creeping up of rates over time. If you have not completed a Motorcycle safety course try it, sometimes it will save you real money other times it is just a worthless fake discount.
Having a passive type anti thief device will save you money. How much depends on the bike and your Zip code. Avoid using an agency any more , there is not they can do for you you can't do for yourself and you save the over head cost.
When I replaced the 2016 RGU with a 2017 RGU M8 rates went down $60 dollars a year even though the M8 has a bigger engine. Adding the 750 Street to my policy was $110 a full year.
To you younger riders good luck, been there done that, and went through it with 3 children as they grew up.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I use USAA and they push it through to Progressive (their partner for both MC and RV insurance). I pay $364 annually for full coverage with 50/100, a 250 deductible and 3K in accessories coverage and new model year bike replacement.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
There is a video on You-Tube about USAA. Involving fleets of Flood Cars from Hurricane Sandy. Being sold without Titles (I believe it was). The vehicles were being resold on Used Lots. And not reported as Flood/Salvage vehicles.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I use state farm. Just paid $130 for a year for the 2016 Street and $150 for a 2003 BMW K1200RS, full coverage but no medical on both.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
State has an Effect on the price. NJ is one of the most Expensive states to insure.

I just went to Rider's website. To see what my Renewal is going to be. And saw the Strangest message. Stating that my Policy is "Not eligible for renewal" and to call their 1-800#. No explanation or reason given. I have been with them 4 years consistent. Have 0 Points. No Accidents in almost 5 years. Called my "Chapel". Spoke to their Insurance Rep. He took my policy number. Saw it. And has no explanation. He told me he will call me back later this week.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
A fellow rider today suggested a company called Foremost. Checked their website. Same price as Progressive. A little over $100 More than I paid Rider last Renewal.

·
Registered
75 Posts
i got dairyland again like i had in 84 this time its $677 for the year full coverage comprehensive fire and theft is what they used to call it uninsured motorist ,medical expense.income loss,property damage here in norfolk va so now i hafta have insurance on me and my bikes, a yamaha scooter and my 500 street because these chimps drivin theyre cages around here just dont believe in payin for insurance like the dumb beeyotch that plowed into me knocked me to the ground ridin my scooter to work and got away with it yep she's got no insurance, got the ticket for failure to yield and after two years later in court, they lied under oath, and got away scott free keep your guard up my bros

·
Registered
116 Posts
State has an Effect on the price. NJ is one of the most Expensive states to insure.

I just went to Rider's website. To see what my Renewal is going to be. And saw the Strangest message. Stating that my Policy is "Not eligible for renewal" and to call their 1-800#. No explanation or reason given. I have been with them 4 years consistent. Have 0 Points. No Accidents in almost 5 years. Called my "Chapel". Spoke to their Insurance Rep. He took my policy number. Saw it. And has no explanation. He told me he will call me back later this week.
When I have seen something like this it was merely that the policy I had was no longer being offered to anyone. They had to switch my coverage a bit to a new policy. Had it happen once with car insurance, and new rate was less for better coverage. Had it happen once with home insurance and ended up having to pay slightly more for slightly better coverage.

So may not be anything sinister or even detrimental to you.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Hello. I know this is an Old Thread. Think I am finally done with Rider Ins. Got the Renewal for the 18 Custom 1200. They wanted to charge me $436 Full Coverage for the year. The Ins guy at my dealer found DairyLand Ins. Only cost me $287 Full coverage.

·
Registered
211 Posts
All Insurance companies seem to take the p*ss these days Max. You get nothing for loyalty to them, just a renewal quote to see how much they can screw you for.

41 - 60 of 73 Posts