Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
I've got GEICO for insurance. In Iowa, my 12-month premium for a 2016 xg750 and a 2007 XL1200C is $312. That's with a clean driving record and a $1,000 deductible. Full coverage on both bikes.

·
Registered
72 Posts
in Italy costs about 420 euros, but you can save money if do it online (about 320 euros) or if you have the bike for more than 5 years

·
Registered
451 Posts
Insurance here it is
ZIP code where are you
You and your record
Your your age
Your credit score
What are you insuring
What extras.
Are you using an insurance agent ?

Now back to zip code. xyc insurance thinks they have to much exposure in a zip code. They raise rate until enough fall away. Next xyz insurance lowered rates to attract people in a zip code , time has gone by they will slowly raise rates on a percentage if the loss of customers is with in exceptionable range they keep it up. If not they stop. Tag your it you been with xyz for 8 years good rates you now have earned zero deductible. You are no longer a high profit customer. Wow rates went way up all of the sudden. Move to a new company start over.
You have low credit score. You are more likely to commit insurance fraud it gets figured in.
Age, young people are more likely to be stupid. you pay for it even if it is not you.
The bike if you are20 years old 1000cc rocket... pay up,

Shop every year ahead of time for a better deal .
I ensure 3 bikes two with sidecars year round full coverage and extras for under $600 a year. Take a guess where I fit in that list.
Insurance companies are about risk management period.
Last if you are using an insurance agent it is most likely time to fire them they can do nothing you can not do on your own at a much lower cost.

·
Registered
72 Posts
it should be so,
but here it is not always clear ...
I would like to understand why two people: same bike, same age, never of both made accidents and there are 100 $ of difference...
from what I understand there are margins left at the discretion of the agent

·
Registered
451 Posts
it should be so,
but here it is not always clear ...
I would like to understand why two people: same bike, same age, never of both made accidents and there are 100 $ of difference...
from what I understand there are margins left at the discretion of the agent

Why are you dealing with an agent? That is the first mistake. Deal direct. Forget what someone else is paying that has nothing to do with you. Even if they are your twin and you have the same records.
Many company's that will sell you insurance do not have bike insurance They just sell it to you trough someone else.
Shop every company. Start out Progressive, The GIECO, any other company check HD insurance when you find the best price buy then as time nears for renewal shop again the same way.
You are looking for a list check the boxes I should pay $xxx . It dose not work that way.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thanks for the tips.
Until next year I will not have to think about insurance, but certainly the next I will evaluate better, considering also HD insurance

·
Registered
49 Posts
$225/yr with Geico for two bikes. 2009 vrod (full coverage) 2015 Xg500 (liability only). Dairyland was charging me $89 per MONTH

·
Registered
335 Posts
Every company is going to be different, every company rates drivers differently, etc.

I used to have esurance on my Street 750, it was $75 per year (liability only). When I moved to the Fat Bob, esurance didn't even cover it, so I had to go with Progressive, got full coverage for $285/year. I recently added a little Benelli TNT 135 to my Progressive policy, and the premium went DOWN. The multi-vehicle discount was worth more than the liability-only coverage on the new bike, so the net premium went down by $10.

If you're a 19yo male, you probably aren't going to get these kind of rates. Even so, shop around; I always cross-shopped Progressive and they had HORRIBLE rates with my auto policy, but with the motorcycle they're the best I've found.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Switched from Dairyland to HD insurance, cost went from 97 a month to 52. This has bike coverage, 25/50 for medical and 25/50 for damages as well as payment coverage and add-ons. More coverage then I hope I need, but I've seen what happens if there isn't enough.

Best part, Dairyland and HD have same parent coverage 😂😂

·
Registered
49 Posts
I was listening to a pod cast from Dave Ramsey. He was saying a lot of people are underinsured. We go for the rock bottom rate to meet state minimums but it doesn’t necessarily cover us well

·
Registered
451 Posts
I was listening to a pod cast from Dave Ramsey. He was saying a lot of people are underinsured. We go for the rock bottom rate to meet state minimums but it doesn’t necessarily cover us well

Lot of people are also insurance poor. Over insuring for things that will never pay off. Often if you have a bike with low resale to start with you must decide if paying for full replacement is worth the cost.
Insurance is about risk and that applies to both the insure and the insured. Dave Ramsey makes his money doing what he does . It does no mean every thing he says is gospel. It needs to be looked at in total not peaces here and there.

·
Registered
49 Posts
It's the liability coverage specifically. In Texas the minimum coverage is 30/60/25. $30,000 injury per person up to $60,000 per accident. $25,000 for property damage.

So if they are driving a $60k valued car, which isn't unusual at all, and it is totaled, and you are found to be at fault, your insurance will pay $25k. Their insurance will pay $35k assuming they have full coverage. Then their insurance will sue you for the $35k. If there are injuries it keeps piling on. $100k isn't a big hospital bill. Now the cost to you goes up to $105,000. If you have assets worth that the court will liquidate those, or they can garnish wages, etc.

But ya, when you look at the bigger picture it's interesting. Many people will pay for full coverage on a $2,000 valued vehicle, but opt for 30/60/25 coverage which isn't really enough to protect yourself. It'd be better to drop the full coverage and up the liability. IMHO

Edit: I carry 100/300/100 for car insurance at a $128/6 month difference for two cars/drivers. I carry the state minimums on the motorcycle. If I total a Mercedes with my motorcycle I'm probably dead anyway!

61 - 73 of 73 Posts