Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else needed to replace their intake boots that bolt to the heads? I'm hearing a whistle type noise on my xg500 and it appears they are cracked in the rubber. My bike is a 2015 with 2500 miles on it. I'm just curious if anyone has had this issue and if they have if there's any tips or tricks when replacing them. There isn't a whole lot of info out yet on these bikes so I figured this would be the best place to ask lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All back together now, got the parts today. The hardest part is getting the intake back into both boots I had to use a pick carefully to ease it around into the boot. Can't test ride till friday night tho will let y'all know if I have any other problems. The symptoms that I had was a whistle sound from the middle top of the motor under very light acceleration. When I looked in with a flashlight I could see the cracks on the bottom of the boot. I'm not sure what caused them to crack but that's what my problem was

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's the part numbers for the boots and clamps ran me just under 18 bucks at the local dealer I got both boots and 2 new clamps

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Everything seems good now I got to ride last night for a good bit seems like my idle dropped just a little now that it's fixed

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Just a thought of mine. If you put some Armor all(Or equivalent) on the Boots before sliding the Intake into it. It will make it slicker.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I'd suggest like a silicone spray but you will still probably have to work one boot around with a pick it's a tight squeeze

1 - 7 of 7 Posts