Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I wanted to know that is it compulsory to tune my bike if I have added a slip on exhaust (V & H Hi Output) and upgraded my air filter (K & N Air Filter).

I know obviously it is better/suggested to tune if the intake has been changed.

My question is that, what if i don't tune and ride my bike with these add on's. Will it create any problems to my bike ? and if it does create problems, what are the potential problems am looking at ?

i have a 2017 street 750.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
68 Posts
All motorcycles come from the factory running lean (more air to fuel ratio) to assist in meeting the emissions requirements. When you free up the exhaust and especially the intake, you are making the bike run leaner. Tge leaner an engine, the hotter, temperature wise, it runs. A hot engine are bad on engine internals, valves, bearings, etc, and will prematurely cause engine failure. Unfortunately, this is a case that if you play, you pay. With all that said, YES, have the bike tuned to your upgrades to ensure the longevity of the engine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I installed only the exhaust at first. And went for a couple of weeks. Then I got a full pack 3 and a KN filter. and I installed a filter and a special card from Vance. The effect is very different in operation. and the engine control became sharper and the sound became even more pleasant.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Yes your bike will run, but it will not perform as good as it could and in the worse case scenario you are causing problems for later down the line.
Having said that - if you ride it with a new / different exhaust and air filter YOU will likely not notice anything is running not as it should be because the sensors in the exhaust will likely make fine adjustments so that the bike does run as good as it can.
However, as Lesblank has stated the engine will be running very lean and damage will likely result over time and as aveator-vv has also stated - the bike DOES run better when tuned.
The thing anyone needs to consider before adding aftermarket parts is 'am I prepared to do what needs to be done to get the benefit from these parts?' and factor that into the cost of buying them. An exhaust or air filter does not get fitted to change the sound of the bike - they change (improve) the way the bike performs when correctly fitted.

·
Registered
7 Posts
thank you all :)
This question of yours has been on my mind for a while. How do you plan on getting the bike tuned in India? My dealership does not offer tuning at all. They just offer Screamin' Eagle parts without tuning. And they won't let me fit aftermarket tuners saying it would void the warranty.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This question of yours has been on my mind for a while. How do you plan on getting the bike tuned in India? My dealership does not offer tuning at all. They just offer Screamin' Eagle parts without tuning. And they won't let me fit aftermarket tuners saying it would void the warranty.

Here in Kochi Showroom (Kerala) they were ready to do the tuning. Am not sure about the warranty. Coz my warranty period is already over. The service guy told me, if i buy the Fuel Pack they will do it for me. I ended up not doing as it was costing 45k+ here. so am running on stock air filter now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts