Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
358 Posts
I have seen several stories in the news about the KC assembly plant shutdown. I don't know which models they assemble in KC other than the Streets. It will be interesting to see if Street production moves to York or if H-D ends domestic production of those models. I guess if they move Street production to India that will answer our questions about how have sales been. That would also kill the already terrible resale/trade in prices.

·
Registered
335 Posts
The KC plant made Streets, the now-discontinued Dyna, the now-discontinued V-Rod, and Sportsters.

So, yes, with most of the product lines they produce being discontinued, and with my GUESS that the Sportsters are going to be all new this upcoming year, you can certainly see why they might consider the KC plant ripe for closure and consolidation with the York plant. York makes Touring, Softail, CVO, and Trike models (so, all the top-dollar expen$ive stuff).

The Street is one of the most important lines to Harley's future, but it hasn't caught on in the US as well as they would have liked. Worldwide, the US accounts for only 2% of the motorcycles sold; the Asia/India area accounts for an astounding 84% of all motorcycles sold. Which explains a whole lot about why they'd establish a Street plant in India. Harley NEEDS a model like the Street to have a prayer of selling anything to the world's largest (and fastest-growing) motorcycle market.

So I don't think the Street is in danger of being discontinued. But will all Streets be made in India after the KC plant shuts down? Seems like a reasonable manufacturing concern.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am going to see if I can wrangle a Deal on a 1200 Sportster. My local has several 48, Roadster leftovers. Roadster seat is a little high for me.

I have been to the York PA plant twice. Its about a 200 mile round trip for me. On my 750. They don't have much space for Assembly lines. Either the other model production rates are being scaled back. Or, They are adding another line somewhere.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'll be a son of a bee...... yep seen it on the news this mornin.....closing the K C plant due to lack of sales...now what? they gonna discontinue makin the streets? and sportsters too? i know a lot of factories opened up down south to get away from the unions, but dam, Harley closin up shop? it aint a good sign, ruined my day and a couple more.. and i was tryin to get a job in there, DAMMIT! say it aint so, willie g! yeah lower pay scale but less expensive cost of livin too... so where do we get replacement parts in about 5 or ten years from now .. no sir, i dont like it

·
Registered
496 Posts
Well I ride a XG750, made in India, and at times when I have been to the dealership, there is no visible build difference when I look against the bigger "USA" bikes. Weld quality, paint and general finish all look up to standard to me. Even small things like the saddle stitching compares well.

Compared to my previous "Made in Japan" Kawasaki, the build quality of the XG750 is just as good, maybe better. The Kawasaki did not have a saddle up to the same quality as the H-D.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Yamamoto I traded had less problems. Way Less problems.

·
Super Moderator
358 Posts
One of the articles I read stated that the decision to close the KC plant as opposed to York was that it could be done in a year. Moving production from York to KC would take at least two years.

My guess is that H-D will move all Street production to India, especially if the York plant is already as crowded as TucsonMax says. They may move more production to India as well, thus freeing up the shop time and space now devoted to export products at the York plant. From a manufacturing management point of view that only makes sense.

This would be the perfect opportunity for H-D to retool the Sportster if, as Gaijin guessed, that is in the plans anyway.

My concern, as far as the Street goes, is that a lot of Americans who buy H-D do so because it is made in America. I've read online and experienced firsthand some disdain for the Street series because it's "not American made", even after I or others explain that the North American bikes are built in Kansas City and the export markets are supplied from the plant in India. I suspect that moving all Street production to India would further suppress enthusiasm for the line in the United States. The "made in 'merica" argument probably doesn't matter on the international stage and the bikes don't seem to be selling that well here anyway. Are they selling well in other countries?

·
Registered
451 Posts
First keep in mind Motley fool. While they pretend to be fair and un bias . They have for years attacked HD. Of course they would, they invested in Polaris betting on Victory. They claim Victory would put HD out of business. They got their buts kicked on Polaris/Victory. Now they are hoping Polaris Indian will bail them out. They publish a lot of the sky is falling about HD.
Motorcycle industry as a whole is losing sales. To much inventory and to few new riders period. Those that are new to the market and on the edge looking in want something different. HD like others must adapt. The VROD just had run it's course and was going now where . It was time to go. KC plant was no loner needed or made sense.
The Street has not sold as expected, but up side the Street Rod is looking up and most all parts are interchangeable. Good chance the Street Rod down the road will out sell the Sporty. It out preforms it in many ways now.
The end of HD has been headline news sense 1903. Ford trier to kill them off failed, Indian tried and failed, AMF tried and failed. Two wars tried and failed. Honda tried and failed.Non stop production sense 1903. See ya at the party this year in Milwaukee.

·
Registered
75 Posts
you betcha indian and honda heh heh s'funny how they all talk crap about Harleys, but every one of them puts out bikes that looks just like an H D .. what's that t hey say about imitation? it's the sincerist form of flattery? yep......still ridin and still will be on one of them ,since 76

·
Banned
84 Posts
The KC plant could've been saved if motorcycle buyers would have bought the Streets rather than those stupid Indian Scouts.

I even read that the Scout 60's motor is built in Korea! If buyers want real quality in American made products, then why buy motorcycles with Korean motors?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts