Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 54 years of riding mostly Japanese motorcycles, I picked up my XG500 today. The finance officer tried (really hard!) to get me to buy the extended warranty. When I declined, she said, "Oh, it's your first Harley, isn't it?" What exactly am I supposed to infer from that? Not confidence inspiring. Ah, it's a new adventure-- had to try at least one, didn't I? The 24% off made me do it...

·
Registered
451 Posts
Just a sales trick. The street is a Harley, however the only thing it shares in common with the Harley we know is a name. Good extended warranties are great for those that rack up the miles. You can added it anytime up until the factory warranty runs out you have time to think about it. All extended warranties are a personal flip of the coin weather it is right for you or not.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the purchase. It's a classic scare tactic in car/bike sales , with the whole extended warranty business. FWIW, I've had my 750 a year and no problems. Time of course will tell.

While the XG does not have the typical proven air cooled evolution engine, it isn't exactly a brand new design. It is a derivative of the VROD, although a simplified one with SOHC. The interesting thing is that Porsche helped design the VROD engine, so in a way the XG series has Harley and Porsche heritage. That's peace of mind IMO.

·
Registered
34 Posts
gotta think perspective: they made NO money on the sale of the bike, so they are trying to nickel & dime you to death with the Ext Warranty.

most modern vehicles do pretty good.
and the truth is, if you are on a bike forum, you can usually get any parts you need fairly cheap.

if you got it cheap,just ride it like you stole it!!

·
Registered
335 Posts
When I declined, she said, "Oh, it's your first Harley, isn't it?" What exactly am I supposed to infer from that?
Over the decades, Harleys have not always been known for having the best reliability. Being able to fix your bike on the side of the road was a badge of honor among the Harley brethren. Carrying a "tool bag" is a fairly common practice among the older riders who rode the big air-cooled twins. But Harley is evolving and has evolved. The V-Rod introduced a fully water-cooled engine, and the Milwaukee-Eight is "twin cooled". The Street uses a water-cooled engine which should theoretically be very reliable. But there's more to a bike than the engine, obviously; regardless, Harley's reputation for reliability seems to be greatly improved over the last several years.

gotta think perspective: they made NO money on the sale of the bike, so they are trying to nickel & dime you to death with the Ext Warranty.
I used to sell Apple computers many years ago, and the biggest push we as salesmen would make would be for the extended warranty -- AppleCare. Why? Because fully 50% of the cost went to the store as profit. And half that went to the salesman as commission. So if you buy a $1,000 warranty, the salesman would pocket $250 and the store would pocket $250. We made more off selling the warranty than we did off the $4,000 - $5,000 computer sale.

Since then, no, I generally don't buy extended warranties. Except I have my eye on a new BMW motorcycle, and the repair costs are so extravagant on those, and it's a first-year model, so I may buy a warranty on that, depending on the price.

·
Registered
277 Posts
The finance officer tried (really hard!) to get me to buy the extended warranty.
As others have pointed out, financing and extended warranties are big money makers vehicle dealers. I once heard that that GM made more from the OnStar subscription than they did on selling the car.
The 24% off made me do it...
Exactly! 20% off was what got me to buy mine.

·
Registered
75 Posts
nope turned down the extended warranty cause it was only good where i bought he bike i want it if i break down somewhere in bfe 2000 miles away

·
Registered
22 Posts
nope turned down the extended warranty cause it was only good where i bought he bike i want it if i break down somewhere in bfe 2000 miles away
That's not true. You can take your bike to ANY Harley Dealer or any Harley authorized service center. There are a lot of indy's out there that can do the warranty work for you.

·
Registered
335 Posts
That may depend on the particular warranty offered. If it's from Harley, it should certainly be good at any Harley dealer in the country, but if it was some private in-house type of thing then maybe it was good only at that particular dealer?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I was once buying a DSLR from a big box store. The salesman went on and on about how reliable the camera was, how bullet proof, how he had never seen one returned from that manufacturer because of defect or failure. I already knew I was buying the camera because I do my research ahead of time. After letting him give his spiel, I told him to ring it up. And of course he immediately asks if I want the extended warranty. After I started laughing hysterically for a few minutes, he asked what was so funny. I asked if I should pay attention to his spiel about how reliable the camera is, or how good an idea he thought it was to buy the extended warranty. Told him if it was unreliable enough to justify an extended warranty i was going to buy something different.

Salesman are following scripts and don't expect you to catch the logical problems with what they say. I would bet if you had exclaimed "I didn't realize these weren't reliable. Never mind I will buy a Honda instead" you would have gotten a very entertaining reaction :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When I reacted and questioned the reliability, she launched into tales about her Harley breakdowns. When I said maybe I should reconsider the whole purchase, she cut the warranty price to 1/2 and said the tire/wheel policy would be thrown in -- a reduction of $1414. I still had no interest. It's hard for them to give up 'free' money, even if it means slighting their own product.

·
Registered
335 Posts
If she could cut the warranty cost in half (and still be making a profit on it)... that alone tells you a) it was horrifically grossly overpriced in the first place, and b) the true value of it is even less. A reduction of $1414 means she's still charging you $1414 for it, right?

Warranties do have a place and time; if I was buying a $25,000 BMW K1600 in its first year of production, and a five-year warranty was $2,500, then yes I'd go for it. But on a $7,000-$8,000 Harley that's in its third year of production, with few if any issues reported, a $2800 warranty is insane. I'd go $500 for a five-year warranty on that Harley, maybe, but that's about it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
If she could cut the warranty cost in half (and still be making a profit on it)... that alone tells you a) it was horrifically grossly overpriced in the first place, and b) the true value of it is even less. A reduction of $1414 means she's still charging you $1414 for it, right?

Warranties do have a place and time; if I was buying a $25,000 BMW K1600 in its first year of production, and a five-year warranty was $2,500, then yes I'd go for it. But on a $7,000-$8,000 Harley that's in its third year of production, with few if any issues reported, a $2800 warranty is insane. I'd go $500 for a five-year warranty on that Harley, maybe, but that's about it.
I never go with extended warranties for anything. My assumption is those only make sense to the company offering them if they are rarely used or they don't cover much when they are. I have had this policy for over 20 years and haven't regretted it yet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts