Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

June 2021 Monthly Mileage Challenge

2K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  Janmad 
#1 · (Edited)
June ends the cool weather and starts the heat. So who wants to ride and share your miles with others? It's simple, Post a picture of your odometer at the beginning of the month and one at the end. Ending mileage will be due no later than midnight of the last day on month. If you own more than one bike then total miles on all count (only your miles count, not other rider miles), just have to submit beginning and ending readings for all bikes. We will do this every month so riders with limited riding weather during winter will have a chance during the summer. If you participatd in the previous months challenge your ending reading in that one will your beginning reading for this month.

See less See more
#2 ·
On the southern side of the world we are now in mid-winter. This morning in Durban the temp is down to 16C which to us is freezing cold!! The weather is also not the best today with a huge cold front that has pushed up and across the whole of SA with snow on some of the Cape high ranges.

#6 ·
This morning in Durban the temp is down to 16C which to us is freezing cold!!
Huh, I always thought 0C was freezing cold. 16C is about 60F, which we consider mighty fine riding temperature.

Reactions: Lesblank
#3 ·
Taken from the weather service.
⚠ WEATHER ALERT / WARNING ⚠
⏰ 05:22:01 SAST
🗓 Tue 1 Jun 2021
Message Reads: ⚠Yellow level 2 warning for disruptive rain leading to localized flooding of susceptible formal/informal settlements or roads and minor vehicle accidents due to bad driving conditions is expected over the north-eastern parts of KwaZulu-Natal (today 01 June 2021).

#11 ·
Taken from the weather service.
⚠ WEATHER ALERT / WARNING ⚠
⏰ 05:22:01 SAST
🗓 Tue 1 Jun 2021
Message Reads: ⚠Yellow level 2 warning for disruptive rain leading to localized flooding of susceptible formal/informal settlements or roads and minor vehicle accidents due to bad driving conditions is expected over the north-eastern parts of KwaZulu-Natal (today 01 June 2021).
June ends the cool weather and starts the heat. So who wants to ride and share your miles with others? It's simple, Post a picture of your odometer at the beginning of the month and one at the end. Ending mileage will be due no later than midnight of the last day on month. If you own more than one bike then total miles on all count (only your miles count, not other rider miles), just have to submit beginning and ending readings for all bikes. We will do this every month so riders with limited riding weather during winter will have a chance during the summer. If you participatd in the previous months challenge your ending reading in that one will your beginning reading for this month.

View attachment 27968
Here is my 2015 xg750

#7 ·
@PugslyCat when you consider Durban and Miami to be roughly the same in tropical climate, 16C to us is bloody cold and you now have to change from shorts to jeans!! Today is especially cold as there is snow only about 150 kilometres from us and with the wind blowing off the snow areas it is not bike weather today at all.

#8 ·
I'm just pulling your leg. I understand that people get acclimated to the weather where they live. I'm sure I wouldn't cope well with what you consider to be a typical summer day.

When I was a child my grandparents moved to Florida. We would be playing in t-shirts and shorts while the locals were shivering in their parkas at those temperatures. We laughed about that until my sister moved there for 20 years and then returned to Iowa. She didn't think that complaining about the weather extremes was funny anymore.

Reactions: Lesblank
#9 ·
More than 20 years ago my sister left SA for a life in the US with her young family. Initially to Huston, but settled in Fort Lauderdale. That is where she first wrote back to compare Florida weather to the Durban weather. Only difference we only get a hurricane type of weather every 10 years. later they moved to Washing State and then all we heard was it was soooo cold up there. After a few years it was back to warm Florida where they now live.

You are correct in that I am adjusted to this warm and very humid climate here on the coast. The sea is less than 300 yards from our house. My brother-in-law lives just 18 miles inland and they are already 1,100 feet above sea level with almost zero humidity, like they are living in a different state when we visit.

#15 ·
I'll post later tonight. I got off to a great start this month by riding from the farm back to Ames after the Memorial Day holiday. Then I promptly twisted my left ankle very badly and couldn't ride for a couple of weeks. Then I could ride, but was still walking with a cane that I couldn't carry on the bike. Getting through that and now the forecast is always for rain later in the day so not riding to work.

#22 ·
Yea, but I had a solid cane and wasn't going to buy another one for just a couple of weeks. I think I'll be cane free next week.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.