Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum...
Just bought a 750 for my Wife. She is a new rider and will be taking a safety class. Had her out in a school parking lot today teaching her the basics. Fast learner.

My personal bike is an Electra Glide with 70k miles on it. Have owned a dozen or so bikes over the years and probably have 250k+ miles on the saddle.

So I rode this 750 home from the dealer, (20 miles), and can already tell the things it needs. Read about the stupid mirrors in advance (confirmed), and they will be the first to go. Unless the HD test riders have upper bodies that are 8inches from shoulder to shoulder, I have no idea how these mirrors passed through beta testing. Absolutely worthless.

Also on the ride home, I could not hear the engine at all through the wind noise, so an exhaust slip-on will be ordered immediately.

Shifter needs to be adjusted down, throttle cables snugged up to get rid of the slop, and different horn. Not enough that the horn looks like an after-thought, doesn't even sound like a horn. Sounds more like a screech. Will also be looking for a solution to hide all those wires, and re-shrink tube the connectors like the brake light wires.

The drive train lash was a little more than I expected, and will make it a little more difficult for a newb to learn to ride. But all in all, it's a pretty nice bike that handles well.

Hopefully I can share in this forum as time goes on.

RobertB

pict. Her first ride through the school parking lot

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the welcome guys. After posting this, I've been reading about the lag & leap problems, and I have to say it concerns me quite a bit. A big surprise like that is bad enough for an experienced rider, but for a newb, it could be catastrophic. We'll see what the dealer says tomorrow. I may end up giving it back to them, and picking up an 883 super low instead. Or possibly giving it back and wait for the 2016 models to show up. I shouldn't have to fix this thing with 26 miles on the odometer.

·
Registered
766 Posts
don't know what day you bought it, but with them knowing about the recall in the pipeline, then how come they allowed yall to take delivery of the bike, when now they are not allowing anyone to take delivery of one until the recall is fixed?

yes, the lag and leap happened to me once and I nearly busted it.
now I never allow more than 90 miles on a tank of fuel.

yeah, if this thing dumped my wife and hurt her, I'd be much more than P.O'ed for sure!

don't know when the 2016's will be in the showrooms, but if I had the chance to replace this years model with one of those i'd sure do it, especially if my wife was riding it.

me, I am an experienced rider and can handle a lot of things a new rider may not be able to....so I can sure understand your concern about your wifes safety!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
don't know what day you bought it, but with them knowing about the recall in the pipeline, then how come they allowed yall to take delivery of the bike, when now they are not allowing anyone to take delivery of one until the recall is fixed?

yes, the lag and leap happened to me once and I nearly busted it.
now I never allow more than 90 miles on a tank of fuel.

yeah, if this thing dumped my wife and hurt her, I'd be much more than P.O'ed for sure!

don't know when the 2016's will be in the showrooms, but if I had the chance to replace this years model with one of those i'd sure do it, especially if my wife was riding it.

me, I am an experienced rider and can handle a lot of things a new rider may not be able to....so I can sure understand your concern about your wifes safety!
I went over to the dealer today, and the salesman was kind of shocked. I had printed out all the pdf files at the NTSB site concerning HD recall # 0167, and presented him with them. I circled the paragraph on the NTSB letter stating that it was illegal for them to deliver any vehicle with a current safety recall pending.
They came over to the house and picked the bike up. Only has 27 miles on it.

He was more than apologetic. I joked with him that I almost became his boss, because if my wife had had a serious accident on that bike caused by that problem under recall, I would become the new owner of that Harley dealership.

The 2016 HD's big twins are being delivered now. My dealer got in a bunch today. The 2016 Street 750/500's, I would assume, can't be delivered until HD has a new designed pump assembly. The old pn# is 61200001. There should be a new superseded part number within the next few months, so they say.

My salesman is going to contact me tomorrow about what he can do. I have him looking for an 883 Super Low. I told him I would not take delivery of any 2015 XG750... A 2016 xg750 or 883, yes.

I really have to thank all of you guys for this forum. I only wish I'd seen it sooner. I came to the forum a couple nights ago looking for a solution to the worthless mirrors HD has on the 750, and found the "lag & leap" problem.

I'll let you know what happens in the next couple days.

Cheers

·
Registered
766 Posts
that's why we are all here...to share info and experiences with our bikes. however it works out for yall, I indeed hope it's positive.

on a side note, you'd very likely make a good dealership owner, so long as you don't have to come about it in the manner you told him, luckily :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
that's why we are all here...to share info and experiences with our bikes. however it works out for yall, I indeed hope it's positive.

on a side note, you'd very likely make a good dealership owner, so long as you don't have to come about it in the manner you told him, luckily :D
I would make a good HD dealer, but would lose money. I can't lie or deceive anyone. Not in my dna.. lol

Anyway, my dealer, Great Lakes HD in Bay City Michigan took the bike back with no questions asked. They offered a full refund, or any other bike I wanted (paying the difference in cost). Seem like a fair honest dealership.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I would make a good HD dealer, but would lose money. I can't lie or deceive anyone. Not in my dna.. lol

Anyway, my dealer, Great Lakes HD in Bay City Michigan took the bike back with no questions asked. They offered a full refund, or any other bike I wanted (paying the difference in cost). Seem like a fair honest dealership.
That's great to hear! I know not all dealers are dishonest, I'm sure there are some great dealers out there. Glad you found one!

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
In some states you get 3 days or so to "Change your mind" on Automobiles. I don't know if that law applies to motorcycles??

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
With no 2016 750's on the near horizon, I paid an extra $800 and got her an 883 Superlow. It's a very nice bike, and a bit more refined. I really believe the Street 750 is an important part of HD's future. They just need to refine it and dial it in a bit. The 750 engine is crazy good in my opinion.

Anyway, this is what I got my wife. Going to get an engine guard tomorrow and take her out on her 2nd lesson in a big parking lot. I'm sure I will see you guys around in a year or so when I re-visit the 750.

Thanks for the welcomes and all the help!!

Cheers,

Attachments

·
Registered
766 Posts
very happy for yall!
that's a fine looking bike indeed!

if you would keep us posted from time to time how she likes the bike.

·
Registered
203 Posts
that is gorgeous mate..!
Glad they looked after you and it all worked out for you.
Keep us posted and don't be a stranger :)

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Actually, The Letter I read also states it is Illegal to Sell.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts